Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Run of the River Projects on local tributaries  (Read 19572 times)

hammer

Run of the River Projects on local tributaries
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »

On Monday night there was a meeting involving stakeholders and various groups in regards to "Run of the River" power projects in B.C.  As outdoor enthusiasts, the development of these is something to know about. I am not an expert, but I as I understand it, licensing rights and the right to develop infrastructure like roads and related developments is being alloted to private as well as foreign investment groups. Craig Orr from Watershed Watch has alot of information as well as concerns (google "watershed watch" + "Vancouver Sun") in several articles as well on the Watershed Watch site. Here is a link from BCTC with existing and proposed projects
http://www.bctc.com/NR/rdonlyres/85300512-02FD-4948-A720-2F5F1835CD2D/0/ILM_EA_fig10_1.pdf
What struck me was how many there are on the north side of Fraser in the Harrison area, particularly on systems that have fragile number of wild stocks (Examples, Cogburn, Big Silver, Statlu). I would like to know who the regulatory body is for these projects. I also understand that projects under a certain size (production) will be operating under less stringent regulations (whatever that means). Water Licensing information is available by googling B.C. water license report. It indicates that many of these sites are designated for "storage" and "general power". At any rate, a network of roads, developments, access control, and powerlines will probably affect my experience and fish I fish for.
I am not usually political and I don't have all the facts, but I think this is worthwhile knowing. I would like to note that Eagleeye brought this up on Nov. 25, 2009.
Thanks,                                                                                     Hammer

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Run of the River Projects on local tributaries
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:27:12 PM »

Thanks for this post hammer.
As you state, IPP's are poised to be BC's next major environmental concern, mainly due to the infrastructure involved to move this energy from source to user.  It is my understanding ALL major tributaries to the Chilliwack River watershed are being considered or have been approved for "Run of the River" pp's (pending environmental reviews).  Obviously, all animals that depend on these watercourses will be affected. 

IPP's have been touted as the great green alternative and perhaps in some cases this is correct, but let's hope public input will at least have some weight in the approval procedures that will soon be coming.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »

Unfortunately from the experience we have encountered with the gravel removal projects on the Fraser River  if a government wants a project to go ahead it will no matter what. On many projects the proper environmental studies are not done properly or at all. These days in many cases the civil service fear for their jobs so they just do want they are told to do and say. Try getting information by Freedom of Information. It not only can cost money, it takes a long time to get answers and in many cases so much of what you receive is blacked out.

The only way things can be changed if you get a huge public outcry, like happened on the Pitt project a while back. What governments have on their side is public apathy and if they wait long enough some groups get burnt out and fade away.

It is so sad as we enter another decade our environment, waterways, fish and other wildlife are still being destroyed on so many fronts by a government that puts money ahead of preserving what many of us hold so dear to our hearts.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »

If the BC Liberals could harness energy from force marching grannies on treadmills they would. :P
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Big Sinker

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:50:14 AM »

Hello all.  I am new to this forum and I have to say that I am a little bit intrigued by this thread.  I am currently working on a run of river project.  I am an avid fisherman and outdoorsman and I have to say that I am proud of the environmental consideration that goes into the building of one of these projects.  Please, voice your concerns, but make sure you are educated in the environmental impacts before we go and bang our drums too loudly.  Never before have I worked in the woods of BC and been so happy with what I see in regards to environmental controls and measures. 

patagonia

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:21:21 AM »

Well Ok...   here is a great video to educate yourself on independent run of river power projects, its worth a watch - Any project that changes a river from its original state is NOT green.... especially these

http://www.downstreammedia.net/TheRangeLife/Video/49megawattsweb.mov

Big Sinker

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »

Let's see... we can take some of the water out of the river (above a waterfall so there are no fish), run it through a pipe and make electricity, then put the water back in that same river.  You are right, not green at all.  Perhaps my next job can be building a natural gas or coal burning power plant.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »

Welcome to the forum Big Sinker and for your input, more responses will be coming I am sure. ;D

purple monster

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »

Welcome big sinker.

I looked for your profile , but did not find it.  you should forward your profile, if not done.

One pipe along a big river would probably not make a big splash, well, until you look at the video posted prior to your response.  Have you looked at the video??? 

There is a lot of damages done by the roads and all the set up.  How significant is that ??/  There is a lot more than just laying a pipe. 

I understand also that each project is individually studied for their environmental impact, and that there is not complete study for all the pipe projects planned on one river.    I would like to see  your comments with regards to the damages and removal of pristine areas for the laying of the pipes.  Just a little pipe , here and there, that all.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:01:36 AM »

Let's see... we can take some of the water out of the river (above a waterfall so there are no fish), run it through a pipe and make electricity, then put the water back in that same river.  You are right, not green at all.  Perhaps my next job can be building a natural gas or coal burning power plant.
--I agree: not all run of river projects are bad, given the alternatives, some projects should be considered. My concerns are with the gold rush mentality and privatization of water in BC. With run of river projects and new water licensing procedures our once public resource is now in the hands of private companies and individual's.  

patagonia

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »

Did u watch the video??? Have you been to the Ashulu??? I have both fished and kayaked that Ashulu before and after the project and what was slated to be a green project COMPLETELY changed the river and its landscape... huge destruction... yes they put the water back into the river but the destruction to do that is hardly green and without impact!

purple monster

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:08:45 AM »

this sounds just like our development mentality in our immediate surrounding.  We rush to cash in on new urban development, analyzing each individual impact on each individual project surrounding, but never as a whole.  so , we end up with lost of agricultural land, congested roads, increased noise and pollution and so on.   Each little project take their toll, and end up as a bigger mess.

all that, from quick cash developers or river barons, all the same.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »

this sounds just like our development mentality in our immediate surrounding.  We rush to cash in on new urban development, analyzing each individual impact on each individual project surrounding, but never as a whole.  so , we end up with lost of agricultural land, congested roads, increased noise and pollution and so on.   Each little project take their toll, and end up as a bigger mess.

all that, from quick cash developers or river barons, all the same.
Exactly, as Rafe Mair said in his recent book "What The Bleep Is Going On Here" what seem as relatively minor abuses of our environment by the government and others in time these "relatively minor" abuses add up in time to a catastrophe.

He also writes our oceans did not become close to fishless because of minor environmental sins but by the accumulations of many.

A book worth reading by anyone interested in how governments get what they want as he of course was in Provincial politics for a term as well as Social Credit Cabinet Minister.

Big Sinker

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:06:58 AM »

Anyone who thinks there is a way to make electricity without impacting the environment is being naive.  Thee important thing to consider is trying to find the way to create the least impact.  For everyone who is opposed to Run of River power, what suggestions do you have for a less-destructive alternative?  I watched the video of the Ashlu, and I believe that most of the land clearing you see is from the construction of the transmission line.  It does not matter where we make the power, we still need to get it to the grid.  By no means is every waterway a good candidate for a power project.  We need to put some faith in the regulatory agencies and their abilities and interest in doing the proper studies and regulating this industry.  We know for sure the effects of burning fossil fuels on the environment, we know for sure the environmental impacts of wind farms and their reliability, we understand the destruction caused by hydro dams.  Don't let the  video of the Ashlu lead you to believe that all projects are the same.  

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »

Well what are we supposed to believe. Taking a look at the Ashlu, how could we possible think they are doing any better on any other rivers? You are the naive one my friend. Don't think you are helping anything, because you are making it worse.