Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pacific steelheader reel questions  (Read 11223 times)

lapa

pacific steelheader reel questions
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

Hi,
  I'm trying to find some information about pacific steelheader reel and would appreciate your feedback.
  How this reel perform compare to islander steelheader?  What is spool diameter? Does this reel have ABEC 3, ABEC 5 or ABEC 7 bearings? What is the value of used one?
Thanks

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
Re: pacific steelheader reel questions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »

The pacific steelheader is one of the 1st c-pins from Islander.
They are alot heavier and I found them to have a harder start up to cast.
The steelheader 2 is alot lighter and way easier to cast and a better reel overall although the original is ok.
Not sure on the bearing system but those can be changed if sent in to Islander.
Definitely the steelheader over the pacific and I used both.
Check out the Searuns also.
Rando
The Fishin Musician

lapa

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »

Thanks a lot Randofish. I often see used islander for sale in 250-300. What do you think is value of Pacific(in the same condition) compare to islander?
For exp. mint islander 320  - mint pacific 270 or 300 or 250?

Danube Boy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »

Some relatively useless discussion, but a couple of sets of pics. Btw, love the Pacific in black (look on last page).

http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/showthread.php?23486-islander-pacific-steelheader

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »

For resale value, pacific islander are way better then the steelhead islander (both reels under same condition).

lapa

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »

Thanks a lot for responses. Now I understand why I don't see any on sale.

ChromeBar

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »

I've used a pacific steelheader for ever and I absolutely love It. The only problem i've experienced with it is it's weight, as I'ts hard to find a rod that balances with it perfectly. I built a 3113 for it and I'ts the best steelhead setup I've ever used. As of price I was curious how much it was worth a few years ago and I found out that there were a few people looking for this reel and I was offered 650 for it.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »

Weight is never a problem for me, if you don't want to spend money to custom built a rod for it, just use  old school style casting , not the westcoast side cast.

chromer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:14 AM »

Check out the latest Islander Sea Run at the bottom of the page  http://www.gonefishinshop.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page40.html

It's the reel I would buy if I already didn't have an Ilander IS. I've owned a JW Young, Milner and a Hardy and the Islander in my opinion is the beast of all of them.

chromer

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »

???...I guess it really is personal preference, wonder what Milner reel you've had cause the reason I rarely us my Islander is because I have a few Milner reels that I would rather use first.

Gee...wonder why the price drop, is it because there was little interest and the reason why some stores have quite a few lying around still. The early buzz was that it would sell quick because of the limited run.

PS  When it comes to Milner Reels, MC Hammer said it best..."Can't Touch This!!";D

The Milner was a beatiful reel mind you I did't have the Talisman which is probably the "bomb" I had an early model Kingfisher. The reason I didn't like it is because it had the nickle finish and because the reel was plated it was hard to feather the spool unlike an anodized aluminum spool. The drum would kind of stick to your fingers because of the plating and I'd let out line too quickly and when I tried to apply a light touch it would grab and stop letting out any line. I would have rather had one of the newer models with a natural anodized aluminum finish on the spool.

I guess it really is a matter of preference. The link I posted above does have a nice price point, I had one in my hand on the weeked and it had a $525.00 tag on it. It's a pretty sweet reel and I may get one. I'm kind of lazy and enjoy tossing spoons as well so my 11 bearing Calais usually gets the call and a work out. I've salvaged many a day steelheading swinging a spoon through a run at the end of the day and you don't need a nap or get a sore back :D. Bill Herzog was the king although I think he's using the Spey rod now.

lapa

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 09:10:59 AM »

Did somebody try to put ABEC 7 on pacific steelheader?

lapa

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »

I've used a pacific steelheader for ever and I absolutely love It. The only problem i've experienced with it is it's weight, as I'ts hard to find a rod that balances with it perfectly. I built a 3113 for it and I'ts the best steelhead setup I've ever used. As of price I was curious how much it was worth a few years ago and I found out that there were a few people looking for this reel and I was offered 650 for it.
ChromeBar,
  I tried my friend's pacific steelheader with custom build sage 3113(for reel) in one hand and my Gloomis GLX 1352 and islander in other. the weight difference is big. How do you feel after all day fishing?
lapa

ChromeBar

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »

ChromeBar,
  I tried my friend's pacific steelheader with custom build sage 3113(for reel) in one hand and my Gloomis GLX 1352 and islander in other. the weight difference is big. How do you feel after all day fishing?
lapa
I know the weight diffrence is alot... but honestly I have never noticed my arms being sore or tiered even after fishing with it all day. I have a milner but prefer to fish my islander.