Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it Smoker worthy?  (Read 15868 times)

SMo007

Re: Is it Smoker worthy?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 02:54:21 PM »

Hey bluenoser. Been meaning to ask you, does your name come from being a Rangers supporter or a Nova Scotian.

bluenoser

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »

Nova Scotian which made me a Montreal fan...never a Ranger fan.

SMo007

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »

Nova Scotian which made me a Montreal fan...never a Ranger fan.

That actually made me laugh out loud. I didn't mean New York Rangers, I meant Glasgow Rangers. I was born in Glasgow and grew up a Rangers supporter. One of the many nicknames of supporters of the team are "bluenose" or "bluenosers" I would have thought a lad from "New Scotland" would have known that. ;)

bluenoser

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »

Oops...didn't mean to diss your Glasgow Rangers.

Bet you didn't eat any smoked Chum over there?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 08:59:22 PM »

Question - a friend smoked some chum that we caught on the stave after freezing it for a couple of days.  The fish came out VERY mushy - some of them were darker than I would have liked, but he wanted to take them home...  Anyone give me an idea of why they came out mushy?  Other fish he had smoked (at least the ones that he brought fishing for me to try) were fine (pinks and a chum).  Is he doing something wrong or is it chum or is it cause they were a bit dark when caught?? or or or...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 03:18:55 PM »

Question - a friend smoked some chum that we caught on the stave after freezing it for a couple of days.  The fish came out VERY mushy - some of them were darker than I would have liked, but he wanted to take them home...  Anyone give me an idea of why they came out mushy?  Other fish he had smoked (at least the ones that he brought fishing for me to try) were fine (pinks and a chum).  Is he doing something wrong or is it chum or is it cause they were a bit dark when caught?? or or or...

The reason for this is the fish is past it due. Sometime they will be in pretty decent shape and will still come out mushy. Feel the shoulders behind the neck (not on the beach still in the water) if they feel firn it will be good, if not back she goes. It can be decieving as some chum will appear to be in good shape but still mushy. In my experience a male that is a tiny bit dark can be ok as where a female in the same shape will be mushy. Males have far superior meat in my experience.But to answer your question it is about the quality of the fish when it was bonked not the freezing etc.
always a student

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 09:52:17 PM »

Same thing happened to me the last couple times I smoked Chum, I was  going  to give up on reataining them but I will try Dereke's trick

Hookbender

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »

Ohhhh the good old days..........cold smoked sockeye!

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »

Ohhhh the good old days..........cold smoked sockeye!

Love the home made smokers!
always a student

Hookbender

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »

You got that right!.............cost me about $40.00 to build,wired up with four recycled vent fans to circulate the smoke.Simple is best!
Bon Appetite!

Hookbender

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »

No!...that's not an outhouse!!!!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 07:02:51 AM »

No!...that's not an outhouse!!!!

OOOOOOPSIE - sorry bout the er, um *blush*  :o - Either NO MORE PARTIES or LABEL THE DANG THING!  ;)
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

gordc

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »

if the fish has been frozen prior to smoking is it safe to freeze again after smoking?

wayne

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »

Most commercially made smoked or candied salmon are frozen ahead of time, to help dry out the meat, to create a firmer texture,  before brining and smoking. The product is safe to refreeze once the smoking process in completed. It's best to vacuum pack the salmon if your planning to store it for a long period of time.

gordc

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »

Good to know.