Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: c&r and bait bans  (Read 18062 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: c&r and bait bans
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »

Jetboatjim, although I am not as passionate on a bait ban as Mykisscrazy (hey, I used prawns today on the Vedder!) I  would have no problem with that legislation. 
Scientific  literature is very clear on this sissue:  the smaller the fish, the greater the chance of hooking mortalities when using bait.   So, if we value the juvenile trout, salmon and charr in our river systems, why not endorse a bait ban on systems with known stocks of concern?

Also, perhaps you were not specifically calling out Mykisscrazy with your quote " kinda funny every year a few "concerned" people voice thier opinions on conservation , yet they dont get involved or continue to fish on systems with less the 100 fish....I dunno ? whats worse? "    I hope not as he is as involved as any (ask his wife and kids) and a whole lot more than most. 

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »

perhaps if he was involved as much as you say, he would relise the bait issue is not a top concerne (as stated by many moe bio's ....this has been stated at meetings.
the last time this was brought up in a club meeting some older fellows said this argument has neen going on for 40+ years, just a different river and different flag waver every time it comes up.

#2 Bieng involved you would understand the out migrating smolts are in very good numbers,its the ocean survival that seems to be the biggest factor right now.

fishstick

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 10:34:25 PM »

I fish with many types of gear, including but not limited to bait or flies, and I also spend every spare minute I have, including time that I could be fishing, at my local hatchery, I am also involved in a broodstock program. I am "concerned" and I am not part of any lobby group that I am aware of, I as many others are aware that smolt numbers are high and that there are other issues that are much more important, however the only point I was trying to make is that when you have little choice power or say about all the big problems, then why reject smaller measures such as bait bans out of hand, why is it that this negative king of the vedder know it all attitude comes out whenever people even try to discuss this or any other measure, you know most people I talk to started fishing or learned how to fish (myself included) with a worm and a bobber, and that is an important step in creating passion and interest in fishing and more importantly interest in the fish and it appears that the message is not getting through
THIS ISSUE IS ABOUT FISH, NOT YOUR PREFFERED WAY OF FISHING, I am not attacking bait fisherman so don't take it personally, at least from me, why not support initiatives that are proactive eg. bait bans, circle hooks, c+r , whatever , this is all we have to work with, the fish are more important than the fishing

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »

Here is my 2 cents

I think the people that are putting this much energy into their agenda with this bait ban should go and have a walk on any river that is heavily fished and see what exactly will be killing these fish. I can guarantee it is not bait but the fishing method being used by some of these fishermen(if you want to call them that) . I think you should put more energy into trying to do something about that.  These are some of the same people deploying this method for steelhead as they do for salmon.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day