Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sufite egg cure toxic to Salmon & Steelhead Smolts  (Read 8081 times)

Gaffer

Sufite egg cure toxic to Salmon & Steelhead Smolts
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »

A recent study put out by the ODFW ( Oregon Dep't of Fish & Wildlife ) states that commercial fish egg cures used by many in pursuit of Pacific West Coast Salmon are killing salmonid smolts in the process  as the SODIUM SULFITE used in the preserving process is toxic when ingested by the  immature salmon  The Report can be accessed @ " ODFW NR On Curedeggs as bait 12-16-09.doc " Very Enlightening reading---- Tight Lines/Sharp Hooks

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
Re: Sufite egg cure toxic to Salmon & Steelhead Smolts
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »

thanks for sharing the info.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:04:33 AM »

Another reason to have a bait ban on our rivers!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »

I wonder how birds (water ouzels, gulls, eagles) are affected also?

Lew Chater

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »

Good question Dave....I have often wonderered that also as I see my favourite winter bird the "dipper", ouzel picking up eggs that I know were dropped in the water from someone's bait box or off my own bait lure. Haven't read all the study on the ouzel that you gave me, but what an interesting bird! They have given me much enjoyment on the river over many decades.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Morty

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

I've been wondering for a couple of years if the cures are also harmful to adult fish.  What about the wild Steelhead who gulp the roe?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »

Interesting thought Morty.  I'm guessing here but I think because migrating/spawning salmonids stomachs atrophy and most certainly are not functioning normally (not digesting food) they may be OK.    Having said that, it also means anything ingested does not pass through, so ..... way more studies needed on this topic!

fishfinder

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 09:30:30 AM »

All the more reason not to use commercial egg cures. Use straight borax and you'll catch just as many fish. There are other ways to cure roe, by using brown sugar, using salt, using jello, etc.
Never liked the commercial stuff turning everything red/pink including the fingers.

jeff

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 09:45:28 AM »

YA my laundry room sink is still bright pink try explaining that to the wife. :-\
Enjoying the water..........

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »

I have never used anything but salt until recently, I thought I would try a store-bought product (pro-cure) for the added color.  Made nice roe but careful with this stuff for it will turn anything pink.
Anyway,  after reading this thread and the article I pulled it (the pro-cure) out to read the label and there is no ingredients list but it does say "sulfite-sensitive people and pets may have a severe allergic reaction to the product".  At the bottom it says "in case of emergency call pro-cure @ 503-363-1037.  This seems a bit odd to me.  I think I would call 911 first.  It is probably the phone # to the companies lawyer or something.
So I am not sure about this stuff so I guess I will just throw it out.
Does any body know what exactly this chemical is? sodium sulfite
So is borax is ok, for sure?
How could a guy add color to his eggs at home without using commercial products?

Happy Holidays!!
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Nervo69

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »

Here's what I found out about sodium sulphite:

Sodium Sulfite is a White crystalline or powder; readily soluble in water, decomposes on heating. It is prepared from sulfur dioxide and sodium carbonate or caustic soda. It is a strong reducing agent and reacts with oxidants. It is primarily used in pulp and paper industry. It is used in water treatment as an oxygen scavenger agent , in the photographic industry to protect developer solutions from oxidation, in textile industry as a bleaching, as a desulfurizing and as a dechlorinating agent and in leather trade for the sulfitization of tanning extracts. It is used in chemical manufacturing as a sulfonation and sulfomethylation agent. It is used in the production of sodium thiosulfate. It is use in other applications include ore flotation, oil recovery, food preservative, making dyes, and detergent. It forms a bisulfite adduct with aldehyde and with ketones to a sulfonic acid.

Sounds pretty safe............................................NOT!!!  >:( I think I'm done with Pro-Cure, too.  :-\

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »

I've been wondering for a couple of years if the cures are also harmful to adult fish.  What about the wild Steelhead who gulp the roe?
I don't know about the wild fish, but the stuff is lethal on the hatchery adult fish that I catch. No sooner are they into shore than they develop a headache and start bleeding from the gills!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 10:56:12 PM by clarki »

Gaffer

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »

I have never used anything but salt until recently, I thought I would try a store-bought product (pro-cure) for the added color.  Made nice roe but careful with this stuff for it will turn anything pink.
Anyway,  after reading this thread and the article I pulled it (the pro-cure) out to read the label and there is no ingredients list but it does say "sulfite-sensitive people and pets may have a severe allergic reaction to the product".  At the bottom it says "in case of emergency call pro-cure @ 503-363-1037.  This seems a bit odd to me.  I think I would call 911 first.  It is probably the phone # to the companies lawyer or something.
So I am not sure about this stuff so I guess I will just throw it out.
Does any body know what exactly this chemical is? sodium sulfite
So is borax is ok, for sure?
How could a guy add color to his eggs at home without using commercial products?

Happy Holidays!!
No Scientific studies done on Borax but it like Salt is a naturally occuring product so I assume in low fish weight to amount of product ratio's it's relatively safe----- Tight lines

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 08:44:52 PM »

read the report dont "skim "it....if you feed salted roe or even apples to smolts for 23 days they will also die.

where is the control in this test? same fish different pond different food , to compare to

sounds  tilted to me.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »

read the report dont "skim "it....if you feed salted roe or even apples to smolts for 23 days they will also die.

where is the control in this test? same fish different pond different food , to compare to

sounds  tilted to me.
Agreed.

As I mentioned on FlyBC this study has many faults. Not peer reviewed, vague details of procedures, variables poorly defined, controlled parameters not listed, etc.

Also if you read through Nervo69's post you will see that NaSO3 (sodium sulfite) is used as a food preservative. We all ingest it regularly.

Borax is another Sodium salt. Either sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate. And again in relatively small doses it is safe. Sodium Borate is used in the Gardisil brand HPV vaccine. (Wikipedia is great for this sort of information)

What needs to be done is a series of experiments to determine the LD50 (lethal dose 50% of the time) of sulfites on fish. Then they would need to correlate that number to a mass of cured bait or number of eggs. Until then they are probably better off not releasing their non-peer reviewed, psuedoscience papers.