Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Cuts Continue In BC  (Read 8288 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Cuts Continue In BC
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »

Parks funding cuts result in closed trails, garbage and public defecation

The Vancouver Sun BY JUDITH LAVOIE

Untrained contractors ‘cannot distinguish weeds from rare species’
Cuts in provincial funding have resulted in closed trails, widespread garbage and piles of human waste at campsites in some B.C. parks, an authoritative recreation organization says.

A scathing editorial in the fall report of the Outdoor Recreation Council of B.C. describes boarded-up toilets and parks staff without funds for screws or toilet paper.

“We believe that the B.C. government is failing to provide B.C. parks with the resources it needs for the trails, bridges and buildings which are such an integral part of this potentially world class system,” says the editorial written by Jeremy McCall, the council’s executive director.

It is unusual for the council to criticize government; the group usually aims to work with the province, McCall said. “ But every time they want to put more money into health and education, they cripple parks,” he said.

Bob Gunn, chairman of the council and head of the fish, wildlife and recreation program at the B.C. Institute of Technology, says he is increasingly alarmed about the state of parks.

This year, after decades of taking students into Garibaldi Provincial Park, about 100 kilometres north of Vancouver, Gunn found garbage along the trails and signs people were defecating beside campsites, probably because all the outhouses on one side of the campsite were locked, he said.

It is the same story in most parks, said Darren Copley, president of the Victoria Natural History Society, who worked for 15 years as a contract naturalist in parks such as Goldstream.
The emphasis in the parks system should be protecting the natural heritage, but increasingly, untrained contractors are doing the front-line work, Copley said.

“They don’t have the skills or the expertise … when they’re weed-eating they don’t know when it’s a rare or endangered plant.”

Many staff care passionately about parks, but they are watching the system crumble around them, Copley said.

The number of full-time park rangers for the 13.5 million hectares of land in B.C.’s 600 parks and 389 protected areas has gone from 154 last year, with 10 full-time positions and 144 seasonal workers, to 98 this year, of which 11 are full-time.

The parks’ operating budget has gone from $33.9 million in 2008-09 to $31.5 million this year, with more cuts anticipated.

The Outdoor Recreation Council, with member organizations ranging from the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society and Guide Outfitters Association to the Horse Council and Lapidary Society of B.C., says it fears government is not taking its concerns seriously.

A letter to Premier Gordon Campbell suggested park improvements should be funded from the Olympics Legacy Fund, Gunn said. “What better place to put legacy money? It’s something that all British Columbians could enjoy, but we didn’t even get a response back from the premier,” he said.

Instead, there was a reply from Environment Minister Barry Penner that skirted the suggestion, he said. Penner said although the parks budget i s dropping , B.C still has a “fantastic” parks system and attendance was up last year.

purple monster

Re: The Cuts Continue In BC
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:56:59 AM »

BC parks attendance last year were most likely up because of the increase in population, and has nothing to do with how our minister handle this resource.  The BC parks are beautiful and unique, but, I wonder if the  our Environment Minister has ever been in one.   The need for park maintenance is important and I thank Chris for reminding us all of the importance to keep this heritage.  The amount of permanent and part-time staff seems so little for the extensive area to cover.   How much would it take ??? Does the public  help in the maintenance, or are we a bunch of liter bugs.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:08:31 AM »

We use to have an excellent parks system. I have a picture from this summer where the trailhead sign to a park is falling down. The trail looked horrible too. Tourists will not likely want to come back if every trail and campsite area fecal mess. Campbell and crew would most likely want to privitize them all. I was up Gold creek on the weekend and the pay parking machines are gone. No doubt vandilized and people stopped going to places were they have to pay. Costing us more in looking after parking ticket machines than the actual parks.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »

Oh yes I pay to park and when I return to my vehicle it has been broken into and I pay deductible.  Parks win, thieves win, icbc wins, I lose.

As well I do not recall seeing much human poop when i was a kid camping in parks.  Now you step anywhere outside a parking lot, tent pad, etc...the toilet paper is everywhere  :-\

noxcape

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »

where is all the money we put into camping and the parking at parks go to thats what i would like to know

speycaster

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:53:13 AM »

It all goes to pay the lieberal cabinet ministers expense accounts. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »

It all goes to pay the lieberal cabinet ministers expense accounts. ;D ;D
Do we pay for this too?

http://www.mla-communique.com/bc/barry.penner/2009/hvm/

nosey

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »

After many years of the Liberals telling us they've been running balanced budjets, and in some cases saying they actually payed down part of the provincial dept, they have now officially nearly doubled what we owe from when they took power in 2001(from 34billion to nearly 65 now and counting) it's no surprise that they spend more money on lying to us than they do on our parks, those lies after all keep getting them reelected. It's not just the parks that are suffering badly, my wifes $17.0 per hr. job with Fraser Health that she's held for 19 yrs. is being contracted out to a company that only pays 10. My grandson has to pay over $400 per year to be a member of the school basketball team, while the government spends billions to bring elite athletes from all over the world to Whistler for the Olympics. All over the province parents of kids in rural areas are having to pay hundreds per year just for their children to ride the school buses, talk about being punished for living out of the lower mainland.
  I know none of this counts if you live west of Abbotsford have a 2 income family with no kids and everyone in perfect health and plan to not fish,hunt or use our parks, or perhaps if you're a liberal MLA but give me a break our political system in BC is hurting badly, if you believe the liberal lies good for you after all you're the one that's paying for them.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »

where is all the money we put into camping and the parking at parks go to thats what i would like to know

Olympic over runs where else would it go.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Bonanza

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »

The park system started a steep decline as soon as the liberals came to power! Gordo the great has all the buisiness people following him like sheep and believing that increased tourism is great no matter what the enviromental damage is. A total disregard for working family people and the fisheries is obvious in every thing this goverment does, not to mention what is happening to the disadvantaged people in Vancouver and all the other cities in bc! Vancouver is a great city full of ethnic diversity, a rich and colorfull history of all the people that made this city and province a great place to live and work . Expo 86 was the start of Vancouvers transition from Canada's most beautiful friendly city to world class , now vanoc, the liberals and the olympics have taken us to a place where people will no longer be able to afford to live here. The park system, health system, social assistance and any other program that requires provincial funding has taken a back seat to the Olympics. After two weeks of olympic bliss we will get the final bill! I don't think I will buy a news paper, watch the news or listen to the radio!  Love BC, but hate what  I see happening to our home!  Best regards and happy new year to all the fishermen and people of good will !

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »

Got to agree with you,but you need to spend more time fishing and less time complaining 8)
Riverman

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 10:08:12 AM »

--Parks use up in part due to people looking for at home cheaper holiday. I believe this season that more BC residents used the parks and tried to get back to an affordable family vacation.
--Free fishing days was an incentive for many to try or try again fishing and exploration of the outdoors.

--Bring back the "free" forest service rustic camp sites. Areas suitable for a few people to gather.

--Many hours were volunteered by forest service employees working on these sites when there was reduced funding. Or found hours.. for example fire crews when not required for fire fighting would work on rec sites, building fences, cutting down danger snags, general clean up, all skills required for fire fighting.
--Several sites have been dedicated with plaques in honor of former employees. This shows the passion in which the Forest Service employees hold for these special areas. 

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

hmm, the liberals seem to have the money to spend 5 billion dollars on transmission lines for private power companies...

http://tdworld.com/projects_in_progress/business_in_tech/bc-tranmission-electrical-upgrade/

I can't wait until the Liberals are gone. let's hope the voter turnout is better next time, it was the worst in history last time around...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Bonanza

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »

Riverman I thought you were the prince of darkness, sorry I stole your thunder!  Went to Inch on the 27th walked a few miles and saw no fish!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »

--Parks, Forests and Environment took a heavy hit under NDP, Liberals just finishing the job.
--These ministries just are not an urban priority where the majority of votes reside.
--I"m sure some here will beg to differ, however, remember most here, fish, hunt or camp thus are aware and value the out of doors.