Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009/2010 winter Danish journal  (Read 3350 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2009/2010 winter Danish journal
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:08:14 AM »

I've been back in Denmark for almost two weeks now. Looking at the BC weather forecast, I'm pretty glad to be over here. ;D For now anyway, because the daytime temperature is expected to dip next week and that white stuff will start falling. Luckily I've gotten in some fishing sessions just in case if the temperature stays sub zero for the rest of my stay.

My last week's trip to a an old spot resulted in one little fish.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=151

Yesterday I returned and had the best session so far. I caught its papa.

Video blog to follow. Stay tuned. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2009/2010 winter Danish journal
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »

well played!!!  Looks like an amazing fishery.  I'll have to add that to the list of things to do :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »

Picture is worth a thousand words. Nicely done. Spirited buggers aren't they ?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:39:49 AM »

Looks and sound alot like cutthroat trout fishing...
There one minute and hot fishing and gone the next and fish another 6 hours that day without a single bite..  ::)
Sweet video, man I'de like to hook up with a few of those they go crazy  ;D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »

Nice vid Rodney, That fish went nuts!
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:55:48 AM »

Thanks. It is indeed somewhat similar to the coastal cutthroat trout fishery in the Fraser Valley (if only our cutthroat trout get as big), except the amount of space that needs to be covered is much larger. The frustration sits on the lack of defined spots that you can simply cast into and feel a bit confident about catching them. The good part is that one never has to worry about crowding in this fishery.

bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:17 AM »

Great video and commentary Rod....put an even bigger smile on my Friday face thanks to that video.

Good to see you were rewarded.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »

Thanks. It is indeed somewhat similar to the coastal cutthroat trout fishery in the Fraser Valley (if only our cutthroat trout get as big), except the amount of space that needs to be covered is much larger. The frustration sits on the lack of defined spots that you can simply cast into and feel a bit confident about catching them. The good part is that one never has to worry about crowding in this fishery.

I hooked a cutty that was around 4 pounds already since Ive been on the Island (guessed it to be about 24-25 inches, thought it was a coho at first)  ;D
They fight more like a log though...  ::)

Havn't figured out the cutty beach fishing here yet...
Must be quite similar to what you are doing, but cutts probs will give themselves away.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:23:32 PM »

I was watching that video and started giggling like a little schoolgirl when that crazy fish was dancing on the water. Beautiful.

Congrats on a handsome fish Rod. A well deserved one too after the lengthy apprecticeship that you have served on the Danish beaches.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 03:13:35 AM »

Thanks bluenoser, Clarki, I still get pretty excited when I watch the jumps over and over again. :)

ED, the two fisheries are indeed fairly similar. The main difference is that our beach fisheries have a pattern (coho, pink salmon show up at a specific time at different beaches, cutthroat trout follow to feed on eggs, juveniles), so you can time your outings to maximize success. Because these sea trout here don't follow the migration of a mass of prey like cutthroats in BC, they are scattered out except possible higher success rate in late summer/early fall when fish migrate into streams to spawn (then again, we cannot fish within 1km radius from the river mouth to protect spawners/kelts/juveniles so still hard to find a mass of stream-bound sea trout). These sea trout don't normally give themselves away in the winter like I said, but in the spring and summer months they will show themselves pretty often when feeding on the surface.

The good thing is that this fishery is year round, so I can just go out anytime for them. Also the best thing about both fisheries is that crowding is not a major issue due to low success rate.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:22:41 AM by Rodney »

bluenoser

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »

Maybe you can use that slogan   "Watch fishing with Rod, it makes grown men feel like little schoolgirls"

On second thought, maybe not.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »

Sounds like it needs to be trademarked, or "Fishing with Rod makes grown men feel like little school girls."

Just ask Carlo and Shane. ;D

I probably won't get out to the coast for a few more days, still enjoying the fight of that fish. ;D In the meantime, been taking some photos instead. Here are a few.

This is Dragør, a tiny village just south of Copenhagen's airport. Population is just over 13,000. Quiet, scenic with a harbour where fish are brought in.

Smokehouse, which sells smoked herring, mackerel, salmon, eels.

The village is made of many tiny cobble-stone streets wedged between little old houses.

Friday nightlife in Copenhagen.

If you've been following the news, you'd know that the climate conference is happening in Copenhagen right now. Copenhagen has marketed itself as Hopenhagen, which has plans to be carbon neutral in 15 years from now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »

Snow has arrived in Denmark, so no fishing for awhile. :'( Temperature is hovering around -10C during the day.