Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: center pin wobble  (Read 3364 times)

cohoaaron

center pin wobble
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »

hey i want someone who fishes a centerpin alot to tell me something. does a bit of wobble in your centerpin ruin your downstream drift? i realy need an answer ASAP thank you

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: center pin wobble
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »

A slight wobble won't ruin your drift at all.

cohoaaron

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »

okay thanks, and just to be clear i mean when you have your rod out and you are extending your drift downstream

cohoaaron

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »

hey is there any way to cure center pin wobble????

ironring1

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »

Given the simplicity of a center pin reel, the wobble probably can only come from one of two places: a bent center pin (unlikely) or worn bearings/bushings (more likely).  If you are handy and are comfortable disassembling the reel, you should be able to figure out what the problem is and what parts, if any, should be replaced.

Oh yeah, there is a third source of wobble that I didn't mention, and this could be due to the spool being bored slightly crooked.  Again, disassembling the reel will answer the question for you.  Take lots of pictures with your digital camera so that you have a series of photos to follow in reverse if you're unsure about remembering it.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »

You could look into it but not worth it probably unless it was a more expensive reel. I also wouldn't recommend stripping the reel down unless you know what you are doing as you could do more harm than good and even if you do figure out what part you need they are probably not available without getting one machined. My advice would be as long as it spins well get it and learn to fish it as is, you won't even notice a slight wobble and a $300+ reel won't help you learn any quicker. If you like fishing a CP you can save up and get a better one at a later date and relegate that one to back up duty. Fish don't care what your reel looks like or if it spins for ten seconds or two minutes and I have met many much better and more experienced rods who like fishing their older sometimes beat up reels from time to time.

cohoaaron

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »

awsome, thank you

therise

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »

I have an old JW Trudex, which has a bit of a wobble and looks like hell, and I fish it about 3x as often as my newer reels. It all comes down to comfort and ease of use, considering you will be doing the same motion potentially hundreds of times in a day.