Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the Sage CT 2106 the BEST steelhead/coho levelwind rod?  (Read 24969 times)

jackster

Re: Is the Sage CT 2106 the BEST steelhead/coho levelwind rod?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »

What's the difference between a "green" and "brown" Sage ?
the green ones are made in Korea, the brown ones are from the States. So I heard, may be it's just BS

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »

I have a 10'6''Fenwick HMX Pin Rod that balances nice with the Avon reel I have. I liked it so much I got the same rod in a baitcaster set up and enjoy fishing that too. (Am pretty adept at snapping the tip end of rods so its good to have the same blank).

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »

the green ones are made in Korea, the brown ones are from the States. So I heard, may be it's just BS

I'm pretty sure they are not.  I went on a tour of their factory last year and saw the production of all the blanks including the gear ones.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 10:05:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure they are - so you may as well just give me yours!   ;)   Hmm - I don't think he's going to bite on this one... :D

My drift rod is a Loomis GL2 med/light casting rod.  It's decent, but it doesn't compare to Stratocaster's Sage 2106.  I'd like one myself - to match my fly rods (I've got 5 Sage fly rods)....BUT - the boss says no.   :(

n8

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »

I mean butt-heavy as in the weight is balanced towards the bottom end. Once the reel is on there, it feels very heavy towards the butt and a lil light towards the tip for my liking. But I think the 2106 would make a good centerpin rod for steelhead/coho

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »

if you think it's the best outfit to have, you better get down to your local tackle store as Sage has discontinued their complete line up of "Sage Gear" factory rods and blanks. They are already sold out of some models.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 11:38:56 AM »

the 2106 is an excellent rod...light but with a fast action. perfect for coho or steelhead...sage's best rod they ever made is the 3106lb...similar to the 2106 just a little slower..
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

fyrslyer

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »

Best Steelhead/Coho rod i have ever owned is Sage 3113 L, awesome action

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »

Best Steelhead/Coho rod i have ever owned is Sage 3113 L, awesome action

ive got that one too, awesome all around rod. id fish it more for steelhead but i like packing a lighter rod
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

fishfinder

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »

I have the Sage 3113mb and have used sage 2106lb and they are nice, but the best coho/steelhead rod bar none is the GLoomis 1263 brown blanks from the 1980's. I've seen several on the river, but nobody is wiling to part with the rod. You never see one for sale.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »

Get em while you can..Sage is getting out of factory gear rods and only producing blanks for warranty replacement
Take the T out of Morton.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »

Well, I just picked up a Sage CT 2106 from Fred's yesterday!  I convinced the "boss" that I needed one before they all disappear.   :D  I "christened" it yesterday aft with a nice spring - handled the fish no problem.  I keep losing coho, but it's just a matter of time... :)  Now I feel like a serious gear chuck er...

lapa

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »

Well, I just picked up a Sage CT 2106 from Fred's yesterday!  I convinced the "boss" that I needed one before they all disappear.   :D  I "christened" it yesterday aft with a nice spring - handled the fish no problem.  I keep losing coho, but it's just a matter of time... :)  Now I feel like a serious gear chuck er...
what is the price?

andychan

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »

All the brown 2106, 3106 and 4120 series just had a spot on not too warm not too cold action. And getting harder to find in good shape. If I had the cash I'd go for it. Coincidentally, I saw a nice 4120 on craigslist as well. A bit bigger but killer rod too.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/spo/1990382704.html

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »

The brown Sage blanks are very nice indeed.  Very classic look.  My friend has the old 3113 M with the centerpin.  For me right now, I prefer to go with the factory rod.  If it breaks - it's covered (minus the deductable).  If you break a custom rod, they will replace the blank but you'll need to get the rod rebuilt at your expense.  Anyway, Fred's has their Sage gear rods on sale for 499.  I called Berry's and they wanted 539 and will not match Fred's price.  The response was they will all sell out eventually, and there's none left at the Sage factory as these have all been discontinued.  Once they're gone, they're gone... :(.  Unless you want to buy second hand from somewhere like craigslist... ;)