Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spincasting with spoons and spinners  (Read 8052 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

Spincasting with spoons and spinners
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »

I've been thinking of taking up spincasting at local lakes with spoons and spinner and I have a couple questions

1. what pound test works best? I have 6 on the rod I'm gonna use but i was wondering if I should go up, down, or just leave it?
2. What are some good spinners and spoons?
3. how fast do you reel it in and stuff like that?
4. and do you use split shots for wieght or sliding wieght?

if you got any tips I would apprecate it
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:18:20 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Spincasting with spoons and spinners
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »

I've been thinking of taking up spincasting at local lakes with spoons and spinner and I have a couple questions

1. what pound test works best? I have 6 on the rod I'm gonna use but i was wondering if I should go up, down, or just leave it?

1) Depends on your targetted species. You don't want to use a 15 lb. test casting 1/8 oz spoons.

2) see #1

3) Generally I prefer a slow retrieve. Vary your retrieve, stop and go. Some days they prefer slow, other days fast

4) No weights. Use a bigger spoon if you're not getting the distance or deep enough

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »

Which lakes are you planning on going to?  Weights are usually used with wedding band type spinners or other very light spinners, spoons usually have enough weight for casting.  Line weight is dependent on the fish but most small lakes usually will be only a couple of pounds so 6lb is good for casting.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »

Nothing worse than fishing light spinners and spoons at fish that are beyound your cast. I like weight. 1 or more inches of pencil led with mainline through it to a swivel to act as a stop then leader (2 1/2 or so feet) then easy change clip then lures. 8lb test line on a long cast type reel retrieved fast enough to keep the weeds and slime off the set up. Fish will it it harder if it's moven not snoozen through the water. Some of the tiny lures I use you couldn't cast more than 20 feet without weight.

Just my 2 cents, mind you there's guy's on here that know better so don't come complaining back if you don't get anything. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:46:37 PM »

Thanks, I was thinking maybe Green Timbers because it's the closest.  Uhm probobly be targeting rainbows cause thats usely the main fish in small lakes.  i'll try what you said troutbreath dude.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:52:00 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »

When I fish hardware at my local put and take lakes, I like a little size #1 Mepps Aglia brass blade spinner. Six pound test is plenty. You won't need extra weight if your rod is suited to the downsiized gear that you are using and your reel is full of line.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:16:54 PM »

my rods like 5 and a half feet and my reel is full.  I've heard alot in fishing magizines that Blue Fox spinners work pretty good, do they?

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »

when I am casting at green timbers I like to use a 3/16 th oz croc spoon I have had luck with spinners but did much better with the spoons.
 :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 01:22:23 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2009/0309_02.html

Keep the lure size small. 1/8oz or smaller is best. When using lures that small, it's best to use 4lb test or less line on your spinning reel so you can cast further. Use the smallest spinning outfit that you can find. A rod that's rated 2 to 6lb test or less is best. A reel that has a spool capacity for 2 to 6lb test is sufficient enough.

Retrieve speed depends on the depth and lure weight, which you will determine after trying it out repeatedly.

Best not to add split shots or additional weights to the line, keep the setup as simple as possible to avoid problems.

Jona

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 05:49:24 AM »

Thanks, I was thinking maybe Green Timbers because it's the closest.  Uhm probobly be targeting rainbows cause thats usely the main fish in small lakes.  i'll try what you said troutbreath dude.

I've found wedding bands to be the most effective at Green Timbers.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 06:59:50 AM »

sweet, thanks

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »

that lake is becoming a depository for previous aquarium lovers. alot of dumping of aquarium fish silently go in there. don't be surprised to find goldfish, carp, catfish, stickleback, small bass, crappie and sunfish in that lake. its in a heavily populated area so these things happen. For the rainbows a small dick nite spoon also works good over there.....use 4lb test for casting but be prepared for some much heavier brood stock retiree's to be around in that lake.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »

my rods like 5 and a half feet and my reel is full.  I've heard alot in fishing magizines that Blue Fox spinners work pretty good, do they?
]

Blue fox is all I use 95% of the time. # 1,2,3 silver, brass, copper.   #1 and #2 silver I use the most. If I want color for bull trout I just add green or blue shiny lure sticker cut to size.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »

1. as light as you can go and still land fish.  6lbs mainline is plenty.
2. little tiny bluefox spinners are good, as are tiny croc-type spoon.
3. slow as you can  while keeping the lure active.
4. split shot or rubber core if anything,  its going to twist up your line though.  if it were me, I'd get a three-way swivel, tie one end onto the mainline, one to the lure (on a 20" leader and on the third, tie a 3" piece of mono and pinch on a couple split shot.

Fish near drop offs, fallen trees, points, weedbeds, where you see fish rising etc. Finding fish is half the battle.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »

okay, last question. theres bass in Green Timbers??