Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Start Spey Outfit  (Read 4696 times)

prairiefire

Start Spey Outfit
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »

I was wondering what would be a good starting Spey outfit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would primarily targeting salmon on the Vedder and Stave Systems. Thanks in advance for your advice.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Clarki Hunter

Re: Start Spey Outfit
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »

I hate to do this because I've been on the fence about buying it, BUT the guys at Galilee Fly in Langley have a smoking deal on a demo full 8wt multi-tip spey setup for $500.  I doubt you'd find a ready to fish setup for less.  All you need is a bunch of dead chicken size flies and your on the water.

speyghillie

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:55:49 AM »

Hi Prairefire.
I have some brand new 13ft 8 wt Scierra rods and reels sitting at a buddies house in Vernon i dont need anymore, really good rods and reels and in you price range, perfect  for the Vedder .
Send me a PM if you are interested
Thanks Gordon.

speyghillie

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »

Hi Prariefire,
Just looked at the list of stuff at my buddies house, the two rods are Scierra Matuka 12ft 9in for line weight 8/9 and the reels are Scierra XDP 7/9 , i also have a Scierra  8/9 MFW  V2 line system to suit (lots of belly lengths and tips)
I just don't need the outfit anymore.
You can contact me at speycaster1@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks Gordon.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 11:18:16 PM »

I would contact Speyghillie on his gear, he's a good guy with some crazy skills.

As far as overlining a single handed rod, it's not required to perform spey style casts. You just have to know what you're doing.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »

I bought a Beulah 8/9 switch rod from the Nile Creek Fly Shop at Bowser.   I love it.    It is not truly a spey rod but a very versatile rod that will do anything for you and not too pricey.   I got the Beulah Elixir line with it and that is an advantage to the Beulah equipment, they sell a matched line.  It is a Scandinavian head line.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 11:21:57 AM »

Vagabond - did you buy the actual switch rod (10' 6" rod) or did you go with a Surf rod(11') as a switch rod. I was told either way is great  ;D and im looking at Beulah as one of the rods when i get my switch setup. I personally am leaning toward the Surf rod for a bit more length.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »

I bought the switch rod.    Two handed overhead casting is great.   My single handed casting is not great and yet I can easily make 80 ft. two handed overhead and probably farther but most of the rivers I have been on don't need more.     Perhaps the extra length would help as I find my spey casts are weak and i cannot shoot much line.   Probably mostly my technique but extra length might help.

CYR

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46:08 PM »

I was wondering what would be a good starting Spey outfit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would primarily targeting salmon on the Vedder and Stave Systems. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would start with a 8/9 weight medium to medium fast action rod, a short belly line (~45' to 53') with a multi tips system. It may take you a bit more effort to learn to cast compare to a Skagit system but will certainly help you to develop a good casting stroke. I personally prefer a mid to long belly line, but might take longer to learn to cast, however, it is very rewarding.

What speyghillie has offered is right on the money. Demo a few rod setup from friends or shops have available to get a feel for them.

Happy speying ........

Ted

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »

that is some very good points CYR. i did that exact same thing in regards to line, i fished a Delta for a season but decided to try out a skagit setup for this season and see the differences for fishability. it sure takes a bit to get used to that shorter belly length  >:( i keep uprooting my anchors alot now but no flies have hit me yet  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:31 PM »

I would contact Speyghillie on his gear, he's a good guy with some crazy skills.

CRAZY SKILLS is a understatement.

I would contact Gordon, he knows what he is talking about and he is a GREAT guy and would not recommend something that was not good.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif