Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ikura recipe.  (Read 9191 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Ikura recipe.
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »

OK, some of you asked about the Ikura recipe in an earlier thread and I finally had the chance to watch and see how my wife does this.  (She caught quite a nice chum doe full of the stuff and decided to make another batch).

First of all there are a number of recipes but I will just provide the simplest one here:

Some points to note:

* You can choose to separate the roe from the skeins or keep it with the skeins - personally I don't really care if the skein stays on but my wife prefers to separate them (..its just more work if you do separate them and I don't think the skeins affect the taste at all)
    * You should use the Japanese Soy sauce - not sure what brand.  Just go to Fujiya and use the one you find there.  Don't know why but my wife tells me the Chinese one is different, probably too salty
    * You can optionally add a seaweed called "Combu". Its a very thick seaweed that can be bought at Fujiya.  Just ask for it if you don't know what it is.

Heres what you do (very simple):

Rinse the Salmon Roe thoroughly to remove any sand, blood etc.
Separate the Roe from the skeins (not strictly necessary)
Put all of the roe in a plastic container.
Add the soy sauce so the roe is just covered.
Put the Combu over the top of all this - when left over night the combu flavor will filter into the Roe.  It just adds a bit of extra taste (Personally, I don't think this is strictly neccessary either).
Leave in the fridge over night.

If you enjoy Ikura, this is delicious.  (I normally eat this with plain rice).

PS:

If want to see a sushi master at work with Ikura, this is a cool video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u7e-Y19uJA

If you want to see a sushi master at work with a beaut Chum, this is also a cool vido:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFMjmb_Cf0&feature=related

I just think the Japanese are absolutely brilliant when it comes to fish.  They can make any seafood taste good.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:40:45 PM by fishseeker »

whereismyfloat

Re: Ikura recipe.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »

Great,
Much appreciated. I'll look forward to trying this. And ... it gives me an excuse to go fishing again !

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »

You're welcome and you should know that the Ikura is not so good in the older chums [..in case you don't already:)]

Ikura in the older chums develops a hard texture that is less desirable.  If the fish isn't eat worthy the Ikura likely isn't either.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:28:50 AM by fishseeker »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »

You're welcome and you should know that the Ikura is not so good in the older chums [..in case you don't already:)]

Ikura in the older chums develops a hard texture that is less desirable.  If the fish isn't eat worthy the Ikura likely isn't either.

Interesting.  I thought the roe would be at its prime right before it was dropped.  I was thinking of trying this with the eggs from a very coloured fish a Chinese fisherman had retained to make into fish cakes and had no need for the roe. Lucky I cured them up as singles instead.  Some sometime I'll try this in a restaurant, see if I like it before I use up a prime skein.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:57:53 PM by Matt »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:15 PM »

You can get kompu soysauce that would be easier.  Osaka Supermarket sales it.