Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoked salmon  (Read 3887 times)

fish fishburn

smoked salmon
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:54 AM »

I smoked a nice salmon on the weekend and was really impressed with the results since it was the first time I have tried this. I just used a simple brine and then smoked it for 8 hrs in a big chief. I used maple syrup as a glaze and cherry wood chips. I also added a few 4 lb smallmouth bass too the smoker just too fill it up and they are good as well. Next spring I am going too try catfish and a few other species. I was so worried that I was going too ruin a nice salmon but it turned out great, too  my suprise. Had smoked salmon fried rice last night for dinner and it was awesome. Are there any tricks for smoking to get better results? Someone told me too put a cardboard box over the smoker and then a plastic bag over the box and I will get even better results. Anyone ever heard about this?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: smoked salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:32:47 AM »

You must have done everything exactly right because Cherry is quite a strong tasting smoke most people  use Alder because it's milder.

Putting a box over the smoker raises the temperature inside-you might need to do that on colder days but higher temps will dry out the fish quite quickly.