Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Deer of the season...first deer ever!  (Read 4581 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
First Deer of the season...first deer ever!
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:56:35 AM »

My daughter and her boyfriend/significant other headed out for a day of deer hunting on the holiday Monday and she bagged her first deer....a nice two point.  She's had her licence for 2 or 3 years now and they've gone moose, deer, and elk hunting and while they've been successful trips she hadn't gotten her first animal yet.  They're definitely hunting enthusiasts.  They bought 3 pack horses last fall which they keep on their acreage and trailor to their varios destinations. I've got to give her credit because on some of their trips they're out there 5-7 miles in the bush in the freezing weather or pouring rain camping for 4 and 5 days at a time.  I guess I must be getting soft because I'm not sure I'd want to be out there in those conditions!  Her friends , both male and female think she's insane!

I haven't hunted for the last decade or so but still own my guns.  I think next year I just may have to join them.  My son and daughter have always enjoyed going on grouse hunts with me since they were just toddlers driving the roughest of roads up in the Okanagan.  My daughter even back then had an incredible good eye for spotting birds.  We'd be driving along and she'd yell at me to stop because she had spotted one.  I'd look in the direction where she said it was, expecting the bird to be a few short yards off the road but to my utter amazement it would be 30-40 yards up the hill.

This morning they left Kelowna in the dead of night for a 3 day trip to the Kootneys...she hopes to fill out her white tail tag.  I think she may have gotten a doe draw.  I hope she can lay a few steaks on the ol' man because we had some bar b q'ed this summer and it was easily the best steak I've had in years! 

Kaz (chocolate lab who never misses a trip), Chelsea, and Jesse

http://ca.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?fid=Inbox&mid=1_821_ACbOjkQAAO%2BwStaw%2BgXltiuTQnU&pid=6&tnef=&YY=1255699912836&newid=1&clean=0&inline=1

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: First Deer of the season...first deer ever!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »

I can relate to your wanting to get back into hunting...  It's a great way to connect with your kids when you get involved in something they are passionate about.

I got back into hunting 3 years ago after not hunting for more than 25 years. The reason I got back into it was because my son started hunting. We've had some great times in the last 3 years. Whether we've bagged something or not there is always something to remember about the trips!

Get back into it, you won't regret it.

P.S. the link didn't work...
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »

Here's a small version of the pic my daughter emailed me.

Talked to her last night about their Kootney trip in the Radium area that they went on this past weekend.  They only hunted Saturday and saw over forty deer, five of them were bucks.  She ended up getting two more deer...one on a doe draw and another buck, both white tails.  Her boyfriend got his, as well.   Now there's no excuse for them not sending a few steaks and a roast my way...can't wait!

I do quite a bit of fishing with both my kids.  They are both avid fly fisherman and come up to the cabin whenever they can.  Next year I'll definitely put in for a draw or two and get my licence.

A pic of my daughter from a month ago.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:50:20 PM by mastercaster »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:00:49 PM »

I hope you get to put your teeth in some venison!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[