Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Similkameen River Clean Up Project  (Read 8740 times)

paladin

Similkameen River Clean Up Project
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:13:39 AM »

Hi There  Newbie on board!! after reading a lot of the postings ,I am looking for information on how
too initiate the clean up of this pristine river.  Problem...Transients Camping on the banks of the river.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
Re: Similkameen River Clean Up Project
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:13:22 PM »

Start planning it, get it on some of the forums, (FlyBC, FishBC, Here) and see what kind of response you get.

Maybe try to do a weekend of River clean up/Fishing, might get more people into it.

If you do plan it, let me know, I will post it on my website & Blog.

Rick Passek
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »

What RP3 said. Don't have too much expectation on attendance for the first cleanup, it could be big but it could also be small. Contact the municipality to see if you can gain their support by providing a dumpster bin and insurance for volunteers. Once a date and meeting location are established, announce it on related internet forums and also other resource such as Pacific Streamkeepers Federation's bulletin board or the stewardship email list. Send a note to the local media prior to the cleanup as they are always looking for a good story.

Take a look at the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition's website http://www.cleanrivers.ca for ideas.

paladin

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »

Hi Rick thanks for your advice.....good stuff! i will approach the Keremeos Sportsman club for help and the
media, also at this point i am a one man show.

paladin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »

Hello Rodney....excellent information, thank you for your response.
I will print off this info and make a file

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:38:59 PM »

Hello Rodney....excellent information, thank you for your response.
I will print off this info and make a file
Good work. It certainly is encouraging to see other river systems being looked after like we do on the Chillwack Vedder River the best we can. It can be discouraging at times as so many people on the Vedder continue to dump stuff on the bars and where they park. We have taken 60 tons off this system in the last 8 years.

paladin

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:27:03 PM »

Hi Chris   I must say that this site is bang on for new people like my self, for getting some positive feed back
and great information. When I reply to a post like yours, can it be viewed while I respond to you?
thank you for your interest.

paladin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »

Update Re Clean Up.....Keremeos Mayor and Council are showing interest in this problem, and our local
paper has been to the squat site. The name of the paper is < keremeosreview.com >
Approx. 100 campers have used this site, maybe more, these transients /fruit pickers have little regard
for the environment or the critters and fish that share the eco system of our rivers.

Special Thank you to this site. and Mr. Steve Arstad and the staff at the Review paper for breaking this
story.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:40:49 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »

Glad to see there is interest from various parties Paladin. :) I remember reading about garbage problems by transcient fruit pickers in that area a few years ago and how the river was turned into a bathing (as in cleaning) place by the pickers. Keep the updates coming.

paladin

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 01:05:54 PM »

My question is:
Could the Chillliwack Vedder River clean up coalitions program "Adopt a River" with permission from the Board of Directors to be used as a model in Keremeos??   Help provide a starting point to help us resolve our enviroment and possible health issues??

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »

I will send it out to the directors but I personally see no problem.

paladin

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:58:36 PM »

Hi Lapetitebuse....tks.for reading about our area in the South Similkameen..lots of great stories on these forum's and also some great people serving our planet !!!!!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 10:26:04 PM »

Read the story in the Keremeos Review, and was wondering if further details could be provided. For instance, are the individuals homeless/squatters who have taken up residence on the river? Or are those individuals, transient/fruit pickers who set up camp because there was no other place to go. The reason I ask is that there is a difference. A few years back my uncle owned an apple orchard in the Okanagan Valley and an integral part of the whole operation were fruit pickers. Those apple bins that were put out the day before needed fruit pickers providing hard manual labour to fill them. To insure a competitive edge, he built some bare bones housing on his property with facilities and running water for his workers.  Now from the story in Keremeos it does not make it clear whether these were transient fruit pickers who were creating this mess.  However, if some of them were, why did the farmers in the area not step up to the plate to provide at least an adequate campground with outhouses for these individuals.  After all if they were fruit pickers, that implies they were harvesting their fruit crop for them.

paladin

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »

Hello Dennyman ...Excellent questions re new residents.The situation here is very complex and very
sensitive at the moment ! I am going to try to find someone with more knowlege on the subject matter,
this may take a few days so bear with me .     Thank you for your time and interest.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »

My question is:
Could the Chillliwack Vedder River clean up coalitions program "Adopt a River" with permission from the Board of Directors to be used as a model in Keremeos??   Help provide a starting point to help us resolve our enviroment and possible health issues??
Positive response from the directors that responded. Good luck with your project, hopefully all rivers will one day have people looking after a water course near them.