Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: center pin  (Read 11392 times)

tworivers

Re: center pin
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 08:57:36 AM »

DennisK... I fish with pinheads a lot of the time (it's gotten pretty trendy). And for about 10 years I've been watching them. In fact I owned a pin outfit for a season too. They (the majority) need way more water to land the fish and often play the fish to half death.

Sounds like a group full of amateurs   ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:47:22 AM by tworivers »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »

To answer that original question. Yes you should buy a pin. They are the in thing to have. If you buy one people will have more respect for you and no one will ever be able to accuse you of being a flosser.
Actions speak louder than words.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »

Do a quick search, there are many threads all ready comapring the two types of reels. Its personal preferce really. A centerpin casts and drifts so much nicer in my opinion and it is a blast to play fish with one. That being said a levelwind is probably easier to cast in crowded areas and you have a quicker retrieve. Both have their high points and drawbacks but since i starting using a centerpin on the vedder, I have yet to go back to my baitcaster, it is just sitting idle. If you do purchase a setup but are on a budget, I would suggest buying the nicest reel you can afford. You'll enjoy a nicer reel with a cheap rod a lot more than a cheap reel with an expensive rod. An Islander like you suggested is a great reel, that is what i have now and love it. I used to have it paired with a trophy xl pin rod and was quite happy with the combo, but the sage I have now takes the cake :D

in my opinion i think you should get a nicer rod and an average reel cause the rod is the one that does all the work when you hook a fish and the  way it feels when casting as to how it loads up,the reel is a one to one ratio so theres no difference when a fish is hooked on a islander or a cheaper reel.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »

Having a centerpin used to mean something....Using a pin now means nothing, its the cool thing to do. Half of them dont even know how to use it properly, and are still snaggers....despite what some people may assume, when you buy a centerpin it does not make you gods gift to the angling world.

Oh and BTW, go expensive on the reel, buy an islander or Kingfisher and spent less on a good for the money rod like an amundson
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »

To answer that original question. Yes you should buy a pin. They are the in thing to have. If you buy one people will have more respect for you and no one will ever be able to accuse you of being a flosser.

sarcasm?...no?  ;D

n8

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »

nice reel/average rod vs. average reel/nice rod... as much as I hate to say it, I'll have to go with average reel/nice rod. the most important thing to consider IMO is castability. I'm not saying that a fast action rod can't be used with a pin but it's a lot tougher. if you get a nice rod with an average reel, it'll get the job done, but make sure you take care of the reel so it lasts you as long as possible. if you abuse the reel, you'll obvs. have to get another one so you may as well have gotten a nice reel to begin with. I'll stick with nice reel AND nice rod  ;D

river-rod dyl

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »

I have never used a center pin reel, though, I have seen many people lately using them.  I have always been a level wind kind of guy.  Is there any difference?