Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Fishing Remembered  (Read 12133 times)

Frankey

Coho Fishing Remembered
« on: October 11, 2009, 07:07:49 AM »

Any of you old timers remember when all we fished for in the fall were cohos on the Vedder and Fraser? You weren't allowed to keep a pink or chum.Nobody fished for these species and what you see going on now was nonexistant.There was no flossing or snagging like there is today.Just lots and lots of hardfighting coho,my favorite was anchoring out on the Fraser fishing with roe and catching limits of cohos,just relaxing and having fun.Gone are those days! The cohos have been replaced by bigs runs of pinks and chums and hordes of people snagging ,flossing and bonking, alot of the time dark fish not fit for table fare.How times have changed.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Coho Fishing Remembered
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:31:40 AM »

sounds like fun!, I wonder what the population growth has been in the lower mainland over the last 30 years? That probably would explain a few things. ??? I for one have not been fishing long enough to have much reference for the "the days" you speak of.

Frankey

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:47:11 AM »

No doubt the population growth has has a big effect of the numbers of anglers on the local rivers.I would say the result of these huge pink and chum runs and DFO allowing retention of these species has been a biggest change to the fishery, attracting hordes and hordes of new anglers,flossing and snagging away.My dad has been fishing the fraser for 50 yrs the same way he has always fished,setting up a bar rig with a pc of roe waiting for a Coho to bite.Not many bite anymore.Back in the day if someone wasn't fishing properly they were thrown into the river.I saw this for myself as a kid a few times out fishing with the old man.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »

Yes we never heard of flossing in those days. I donot think we even had dental floss in those days. ;D ;D

Frankey do you think pink retention should not be open for retention in non tidal waters?

That should get the discussion going and most likely should be on a seperate thread.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »

According to the stats from a year or two ago, the number of fishing licenses sold is not proportional to population growth. Does that mean fewer are fishing (per capita) or does it mean more are fishing without a licence?
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Frankey

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »

That is a good question Chris,.I do think that the opening of these fisheries have been detrimental to the sport, attracting a" new type" of angler in numbers unseen in my lifetime.My Dad just shakes his head at what is going on nowadays.I can remember him releasing doe cohos and retaining only the big bucks for the smoker as they have a better taste.There used to be a late run of Northerns that we fished right into November.Thompson Steelhead used to break us off on occasion!The type, quality and cure of the roe was what determined how succesfull you were when fishing for cohos.

yoda

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »

i remember bar fishing on bowman's with my son and nephew's, when mission fishing guides ken and dave were pretty exclusive and dave's was i think, one of the only jet boats at that time. and you had to chase sockeye and pinks in the ocean! then again, the  chum fishery was non retention in fraser and you were allowed one thompson steely a year! 
we have come a long way, make's you think where we are headed :(

Frankey

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »

Fishin Mission guides! Remember the name.I heard Ken closed the company?Alas ,here some reports of a few coho around these days on the Fraser.Maybe i will get out,to a spot where i used to catch them for old time sakes.Won't go anywhere near the vedder this time of yr,not since DFO opened up these Pink and Chum fisheries to retention.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:33:27 AM »

Remember the 8 cohos daily limit ?

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »

4 over, 4 under.....20 inches
kill whatever, regardless of the small finn
nobody targeting humps/dogs......was not that long ago

Frankey

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »

The cohos were so plentiful...Factory fish never entered into the equation...those were the days!Seems to me very similar to what these chum fisheries are now.We used to point the rod at a Chum and bust it off,they were a undesirable fish.The under 20cm were for the jacks which were very plentiful,some days thats all you went home with were a couple of great tasting jacks in the frying pan.Havent seen a coho jack in yrs...

scute

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

fishin mission .those were the days Dave now lives and guides in Mexico .maybe that is where all the real fishing is now ;)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »

The cohos were so plentiful...Factory fish never entered into the equation...those were the days!Seems to me very similar to what these chum fisheries are now.We used to point the rod at a Chum and bust it off,they were a undesirable fish.The under 20cm were for the jacks which were very plentiful,some days thats all you went home with were a couple of great tasting jacks in the frying pan.Havent seen a coho jack in yrs...

Yep, every time my float took a dive it was almost guaranteed to be a coho.  White springs were a rare catch.  Almost everyone fishing around me using and floating roe.  Those were the days indeed.  I always fished in the same spot.  Never had to scout or look for them as fishing was so consistent for the whole month.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »

I think it was 94-95 when the jack springs/springs showed in any numbers......ruining the good coho fishing...

I rember killing 4 does by 20 min after 7am.....starting at 7 am... more than once !

buck

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »

Chris

Closing Pink and Chum for retention would go a long way in alleviating some of the problems we have seen this season on the Vedder.