Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: canning pinks  (Read 5474 times)

DAWGMAN

canning pinks
« on: August 10, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »

just want to get ready for the pink season. i was wondering if anyone had some good ideas how to can salmon. some have told me that you have to use a pressure cooker , while some have said to just use boiling water. also what do you put in the canning jars with the salmon. thanks for any info.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: canning pinks
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »

A pressure cooker cooks it faster but boiling the cans is doable. I just put a little along with the fish in the can.

catch22

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:58 PM »

when i can my salmon i use a presser cooker only because thats the way my grandad said it had to be done . in the jars with the salmon i put one tsp olive oil one tsp course salt and one tsp white vinegar,good luck....

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »

where can i buy a pressure canner?

i found some on line
presto 23 Quart for $145 shipped

but was hopping to find somthing local.

Yopesco

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »

Canso: Guess you meant pressure cookers, if you are in vancouver, check in Little India, there are some stores in Main between 49th and 51st Av that used to carry them.

Yopesco

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »

Food safety guidelines strongly recommend that you use a pressure cooker for canning any kind of meat or fish. For salmon we cook in a pressure cooker for 90 minutes at between 10-15 lb's pressure. A place in New West sells great canners online or in their shop. http://www.wellscan.ca/cdn-site/pcanners_cdn.htm
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »

Home hardware on commercial drive sells nice ones "all american" is the brand I think.

robj

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »

There are many places that sell pressure cookers.  That is the ONLY way to do it.  You don't want to mess with improperly canned fish.  I cooked mine, back in the days when I had some Sockeye for 90 or 100 minutes at either 10 or 15 psi, can't remember it was so long ago.  I think my recipe was 2 tbl olive oil, 2 tbl vinegar, and 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, in a half litre jar. Worked out great.  But make sure you do it right.  When in doubt, Google it for more info and go from there.

Have a great day

hay_ride

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:12:37 AM »

I found my pressure cooker at Canadian Tire FYI