Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-courteous crowding  (Read 8711 times)

Morty

Re: Non-courteous crowding
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »

Start praying out loud. 

One of three things will happen:
- God will intervene
- the budger will hear your prayer and respect your wishes
- they be so weirded out that they'll want distance from you.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

kodiak

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

guess I take a less combatative aproach. I like to hike in as far as possible from the beaten trails. Seldom does anyone fish near me because anyone else doing that kind of hike is also likely doing it because they also want to be left alone.

Gaffer

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »

This seems to be an epidemic.  Your out fishing with your buddy who is standing about 15 feet from you.  All of a sudden in come a group of lets say four guys.  There is about 300 yards of river above and below you that is not being fished, plenty of room.  Within minutes out of the corner of your eye, you notice one of these guys eyeing the spot between you and your buddy.  They watch you to see if your looking at them, and when you not looking at them, they inch forward, then when you turn back to acknowledge them, they stop inching forward.  Before you know it, one of them has slithered into the gap between you and your buddy...I finally had to tell one of them he better not stand there, cuz my buddy (who was to my left) casts right handed and I cast left handed.  He must have noticed that as he was wiggling in between us, and surely he would have realized we would be casting and hooking the back of his a$$ all day if he stood there.  I even had to take a leak at one point, so I put my rod down, and walked away to a bunch of trees, I wasn't gone 30 seconds and I come back and another guy had wiggled into my spot...I know the river doesn't belong to me or anyone for that matter, but there is definately a lack of common courtesy out there
You and your buddy were fishing the same spot, and presumably for hours , with "300 yards above and below you" and some other guy is wrong in wanting to fish through and HE'S WRONG ???? Use your head water hog ! there's a whole river to fish --Move on ----- Tight lines

Gaffer

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »

That trick may just start an altercation and you could get your butt whooped.

I miss the days when the salmon crowds were the size of the steelhead crowds, and crowds during steelhead season were nonexistent  :'(
Man are you old!!!! Think I might have been fishing downstream from you then---Cheers

Gaffer

Re: Non-courteous crowding hogging
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »

--how long should you hog a site?
--leaving a rod or chair while having lunch or taking a pee break maybe tough bananas for the spot.

--If I catch a few fish and someone else comes along why not give up the spot?

--I was tied up to a marker buoy on Okanagan lk., there are several and no one at any of the other markers.
--I see a guy off in the distance making right for the marker I'm tied up to. I get ticked as they tie up beside me.
--But before I blow up I think about it for a while and sure enough within the hour all the other buoys have several boats tied to them, so was really no point in getting ticked.
--same deal when drift fishing...either we space out or leapfrog so each gets a fresh chance at different runs, whichever works best.

A Sane voice in the crowd-- Halllelujah !---- Cheers

Gaffer

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »

You have to get used to it, like the other poster said there are alot of people on the river during the season. Just means you have to get there earlier to secure your spot.
You just don't get it--in river fishing there is no Camping on or "securing " your spot ---Fish a drift, Move on --learn the river enjoy the day----Cheers

Gaffer

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »

hehe, i'll have to try that big gob or roe trick..that's awesome... :D
Great Idea---- gob of roe AND HOOK in the EYE--- terrific ! Dummy!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »

If members cannot conduct themselves maturely when discussing these fishery related issues, then there will not be a discussion.

A few threads locked/deleted in recent days. If it repeats, locking or deleting of threads will not be the only actions taken.

Stop the name calling, quit getting personal and focus on the issue if you have an opinion on it.