Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-courteous crowding  (Read 8712 times)

Froodogga

Non-courteous crowding
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »

This seems to be an epidemic.  Your out fishing with your buddy who is standing about 15 feet from you.  All of a sudden in come a group of lets say four guys.  There is about 300 yards of river above and below you that is not being fished, plenty of room.  Within minutes out of the corner of your eye, you notice one of these guys eyeing the spot between you and your buddy.  They watch you to see if your looking at them, and when you not looking at them, they inch forward, then when you turn back to acknowledge them, they stop inching forward.  Before you know it, one of them has slithered into the gap between you and your buddy...I finally had to tell one of them he better not stand there, cuz my buddy (who was to my left) casts right handed and I cast left handed.  He must have noticed that as he was wiggling in between us, and surely he would have realized we would be casting and hooking the back of his a$$ all day if he stood there.  I even had to take a leak at one point, so I put my rod down, and walked away to a bunch of trees, I wasn't gone 30 seconds and I come back and another guy had wiggled into my spot...I know the river doesn't belong to me or anyone for that matter, but there is definately a lack of common courtesy out there

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Non-courteous crowding
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »

People are stupid.  Get used to it.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:10:26 PM »

move then! I know its annoying but you just have to move, and find different water, that's how it is, especially on the weekends. You really cannot expect courtesy on the river with this many people fishing. When someone comes in next to me I like to swing a big gob of roe and "accidentally" put it in their face, and then if they can't take the hint, I just move on.

Froodogga

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »

hehe, i'll have to try that big gob or roe trick..that's awesome... :D

Frankey

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »

Yeh, the gob of roe thing in the face could easily turn nasty.The only time I find the river tolerable is during the winter months.Steelheaders for the most part are not out for meat and are a ethical bunch.Even so,when someone want's to cork me while fishing for steel,i will walk away,after all it's only a fish and i have caught thousands over the course of 30yrs.

Kevgor

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:56:59 AM »

Here's what has worked for me many times.  You and your partner need to close up - perhaps to less than 10 feet, when you see approachers. If someone tries to set up in that close a gap, you have every right to question him (especially if there's 300 yds on either side).

Any rate they will likely fall in on one side or the other (assuming the fishable water is the same on both sides). As soon as you know what side they're leaning towards, either you or your partner need to start taking a few obvious side steps in the direction of the approachers. This widens you and your partners gap to the original 15 feet (or more). You want to force the approacher to move sideways too.

This little dance is a non-verbal way of announcing your "territory" and either will work the first time, or will elicit some verbal response from the approacher(s). The idea is to get them to speak first; to which you can reply - "we were here first can you give us a little room please, there's plenty or fishable room on both sides".

If this doesn't work (and it really depends on how fishable that 300 yards on either side is) then maybe the best bet is to pick up and leave (as mentioned above), since you clearly won't enjoy the company that's just arrived.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:02:14 PM by Kevgor »
Kevgor -

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Non-courteous crowding hogging
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »

--how long should you hog a site?
--leaving a rod or chair while having lunch or taking a pee break maybe tough bananas for the spot.

--If I catch a few fish and someone else comes along why not give up the spot?

--I was tied up to a marker buoy on Okanagan lk., there are several and no one at any of the other markers.
--I see a guy off in the distance making right for the marker I'm tied up to. I get ticked as they tie up beside me.
--But before I blow up I think about it for a while and sure enough within the hour all the other buoys have several boats tied to them, so was really no point in getting ticked.
--same deal when drift fishing...either we space out or leapfrog so each gets a fresh chance at different runs, whichever works best.

Rybar

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 01:27:46 PM »

You have to get used to it, like the other poster said there are alot of people on the river during the season. Just means you have to get there earlier to secure your spot.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »

There are fishermen who actually think it's their God given right to fish a certain run. I've actually been told that I'm standing on their particular spot. Funny, there was no name on that rock :D

speycaster

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

Skaha maybe you should look up the regs for tying on to navigation markers.  :-\

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »

LOL.... :-* :-*

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »

Skaha maybe you should look up the regs for tying on to navigation markers.  :-\

--sorry for not giving correct name..these were not navigation markers they are designated buoys for tie up in the park.
--good comment though wouldn't want to give people the wrong impression not only is tie up to navigation markers illegal it is of course dangerous for  other boaters who may have the marker blocked from their view

yamadirt 426

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »

--sorry for not giving correct name..these were not navigation markers they are designated buoys for tie up in the park.
--good comment though wouldn't want to give people the wrong impression not only is tie up to navigation markers illegal it is of course dangerous for  other boaters who may have the marker blocked from their view

there is always someone close to pick your faults and take your spot. Lol  vultures are everywhere.

Daniel Beast

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »

you got 2 options, say something extremely rude.
or be nice and let the guy fish next to you.. which can suck, especially if he likes to find your line etc...

or act like your nuts, and enjoy your time on the water.. :D

one time i was up at pegleg with a buddy and someone tryed to fish between us (we were already less then 10 feet appart.. a real snake, who tried to play it off like the ignorant idiot..... there was lots of room further up the bank. so i gave him a peice of my mind and he left to fish in a different spot, like he should of done in the first place. Early bird gets the worm.. you dont own the spot, but you were there first, thats the way it goes.. lol.. if he wanted the spot he woulda been there before you lol.. if ppl try to snake between u, just say hey, we're fishing here trying to have a conversation.. now they wont fish beside you because you put some pressure on it,, like an a$.. works for me, just dont think twice about it, because really, at the end of the day.. whos being the a$ LOL i dont snake between anglers, u can get a feel of the boundry, unless your a idiot, wait your turn, unless theres a decent amount of room to get in, and even if there is.. open your mouth to say hey, is it okay if i jump in here.. ppl like ppl who ask, usually ull get your way

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 08:55:20 AM »

As mentioned, if you ask first, you are usually allowed in unless it is extremely tight.

How about this:

a couple of short pegs with a run of razor wire that you can put between you and your friend so no one beaks in.  ;)