Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any waterproof breathable recommendations?  (Read 3609 times)

KLX

Any waterproof breathable recommendations?
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »

i am looking for a TRUE h2o proof hunting/fishing jacket. One that can withstand WCVI rain for 8 hours straight. Also breathable.

So far i have not found any jacket other than rubber that works. Been thru North Face, Cat, REI, MEC, even RIvers west...not working.

tia

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Re: Any waterproof breathable recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »

Have a look at some of the breathable kayaking jackets. I use mine for fishing all the time . The seams are all double sealed so it's like wearing a tent. The  brand name is Navarro but I don't know if they are still in business.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »

instead of buying all those other jackets dump a few hundred on a really good fishing wading jacket. Go with a GORE-TEX one because they breath better then other materials. once i can afford to buy one im getting one. the ones from Simms are like 400 & 500 i think. you can also check out online places like Cabela's because they also have a few brands of Gore-tex jackets themselves.

even if you went with kayak jackets or whatever else i would still look for something made of Gore-tex because its a very tough & breathing material.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

doja

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:25:04 PM »

I bought a simm breathable gortex jack recently, the high end one with the best gortex(didn't know they had different grades). It's a great jacket with neoprene cuff things to keep water out the arm when fishing, or anything in the rain. I also use mine to paddle my kayak because of the cuff feature. Nice and light too and the hood sits nice. Good pockets that are big and deep. And presentable/fashionable enough to wear out with out looking like a tool.

Well worth the coin.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:28:08 PM by doja »

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »

Breathable waders are made from gortex, the same stuff as the good jackets.  Just find yourself a decent quality goretex shell with sealed seams, MEC has them just not the cheap knock off ones, usually you are stuck paying at least 300+ for a decent waterproof shell.  Also, wear only polyester or nylon wicking clothes underneath and any water that may penetrate will wick away from your body and through the shell.  Whatever you do dont wear cotton or a cotton blend, anything with cotton in it will absorb like a sponge and you will stay wet.

The other option is buy a PVC/nylon shell and wear fleece and poly underwear, you will sweat a bit but most moisture will just wick to the outer layer of the fleece and run down the inside of the jacket and drip off the bottom.  I wore these type of pants bike riding to work in the monsoons of lower mainland and stayed relatively dry and warm.

funpig

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »

I bought a Bare Blackwater wading jacket a few years ago.  I have been very happy with it.  I have used it fishing in a downpour the whole day and it has kept me dry.  Mine is the early model, very basic, no liner or interior pocket or waterproof zippers.  Not sure if the newer model is better or worse.  There is a Trophy wading jacket which looks pretty good and is much more affordable.

KLX

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 06:39:19 PM »

thanks all, sorry i should have mentioned that because of hunting it has to be camo or natural colours and silent. the goretex just doesnt work and never comes in camo. i've had 2 goretex jackets, they always leak sooner or later - goreleak.

I just went to crappy tire, they have a soft shell camo jacket by yukon, some guy walked by me and said he uses it for hunting and it works great for him. its cheap only 170.

Rivers West is supposed to be the best but mine leaked right away. Maybe just bad luck...

SNapz

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »

Cabelas has some GoreTex jackets in Camo colors. I have their inexpensive GoreTex wading jacket and it has been great. It has been through some huge all day downpours and I was completely dry at the end of the day.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »

IMO, you're mis treating your gore tex.  You need to make sure you wash it from time to time with gore tex wash, then re-treat.  The problem with breathables is that over time, the pores get clogged with salty sweat and act as a conduit for moisture to get in and sweat not to get out. 

doja

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »

IMO, you're mis treating your gore tex.  You need to make sure you wash it from time to time with gore tex wash, then re-treat.  The problem with breathables is that over time, the pores get clogged with salty sweat and act as a conduit for moisture to get in and sweat not to get out. 

And then re-treat with???

Washing from time to time is a good idea.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »

And then re-treat with???

Washing from time to time is a good idea.

Re treat with revivex.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »

Bare Kodiak is impressive.  I've been through lots of brush and blackberries and never ever worried about the integrity of the fabric afterwards.  Its also a mossy green colour that blends in nicely with surroundings... at least to the human eye.

KLX

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 12:51:13 PM »

bentrod, this is possible, but much like waders, i want little or no maintenance, maybe im asking too much. With the Rivers West gear i took it into the shower the day i bought it, just like they do in their display! Leaked like a sieve at all seams.

i've considered all your recommendations, thanks.

silverslab

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »

I have a sage skagit and have been nothing but happy with it, stood out in what felt like mosoon rains for hours with no leaks and was warm and dry.

Davey on the fraser

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »

Go to Marks Work Wearhouse and have a look at Wet Skins,,,  I used to use them for work, I work outside in Vancouver, and they have seen alot of rain,,,  They have the neoprene elastic cuffs and all, many different colors and NEVER LEAK,,,,,  If you wear them often, you can easily re treat with tent spray, Trust me Ive done it for years,,,,  I do rebar and a set of Wet Skins last about three years, so it would be perfect for you,, oh AND they are nice and quiet!!  About 220 for the set