Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery  (Read 64224 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »

Regarding the spawning channel issue that has appeared here many times, we had a brief discussion over this at the sportfishing advisory committee meeting last night. The spawning channel was not a DFO project, but a BC Hydro project so my understanding from the discussion is that the closure could not be implemented by DFO. That being said, the resource manager will take a look at it this weekend and perhaps get something going with BC Hydro. If we are suggesting that fishing for salmon on spawning ground should be illegal, then the entire Stave River or any tributaries should be closed. However, in this case, since the "spawning channel" is only so narrow and so shallow, it makes sense to implement a closure so there is actually a refuge in the system where fish can spawn peacefully. I will update if there is any development.

mvelasco

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »

Regarding the spawning channel issue that has appeared here many times, we had a brief discussion over this at the sportfishing advisory committee meeting last night. The spawning channel was not a DFO project, but a BC Hydro project so my understanding from the discussion is that the closure could not be implemented by DFO. That being said, the resource manager will take a look at it this weekend and perhaps get something going with BC Hydro. If we are suggesting that fishing for salmon on spawning ground should be illegal, then the entire Stave River or any tributaries should be closed. However, in this case, since the "spawning channel" is only so narrow and so shallow, it makes sense to implement a closure so there is actually a refuge in the system where fish can spawn peacefully. I will update if there is any development.

hmm true...i was up this Monday and soo many people were trying to haul fish from that channel...
kind of looked like a sad attempt @ fishing...might as well get a net.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »

awesome work bringing the channel issue up

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2009, 07:26:57 PM »

hmm true...i was up this Monday and soo many people were trying to haul fish from that channel...
kind of looked like a sad attempt @ fishing...might as well get a net.

Your freakin kidding me!  ummm... why am I so surprised?  ::)  When I was out there on tuesday NO ONE fished the channel.  Just looking at it, I assumed that it was off limits.  They're right there dropping eggs, I sat and watched for a bit, it was like live Discovery Channel.   

mvelasco

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2009, 01:10:34 AM »

Your freakin kidding me!  ummm... why am I so surprised?  ::)  When I was out there on tuesday NO ONE fished the channel.  Just looking at it, I assumed that it was off limits.  They're right there dropping eggs, I sat and watched for a bit, it was like live Discovery Channel.   

haha...i wasn't that surprised...everyone wants to take the water route.."easiest way around"...
Hopefully going to go back up there soon and try and land something without it snapping my line...
haha and yea...it is like watching the discovery channel

Preliator

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »

Tuesday must have been a slow day - I was there today checking things out, and the channel was nearly shoulder to shoulder  :-\

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »

Tuesday must have been a slow day - I was there today checking things out, and the channel was nearly shoulder to shoulder  :-\

So sad, I just don't get it.   ??? 

Hey what was the water level like?  Getting any deeper or about the same?  I may go out there tomorrow but would try a different spot if the waters up. 

Preliator

« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »

Well, it was my first time there so I can't really say what the water level was like. Sorry!

yakideath12

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »

stave's water level is depend on tide. Better check tide before you going there.

I saw people cut live female chum's belly and taking only eggs, throwing back to water.............so sad...

I couldnt say anything cuz as you know... they are holding a knife... :'(

Min

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »

I dropped by the Stave this afternoon.  First time that I have ever visited a river being "actively" fished.  Seemed to me that there were a lot of people there.  Some gear, some fly.  Only there for about 10 mins. and saw just one tangle.  A fly guy caught a gear guy, on the backcast.  No yelling or screaming.  Saw a couple of coloured fish brought in.  As I was leaving, there was one family pulling the a carcass out of the river. 

From what I have heard, seemed like a normal saturday. :-\

Min

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2009, 08:38:41 AM »

I don't know how people manage to fly fish shoulder to shoulder with gear fishermen.  The two styles do appear to mix well and that back cast must be really hazardous.

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »

Brought the nephews down for a couple of hours today. Fished the west side near the trailer park...what a zoo! At one point, counted 63 people fishing, not including the jet boaters!

rosejeff

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »

The water level can change quickly at Stave because of the dam, they can change the flow at any time.
Last weekend I set my gear down about 10 feet back from the water and waded in a little, I didn't notice the water level change until I turned around and saw that my jacket and tackle box were in the water. Lesson learned.

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »

.... Wish I weren't working this saturday I'd take your course.

hookmeup; by popular request - I will be holding a final presentation of my "Coho on the Fly" seminar, which will be held on Saturday, November 14th. Please contact Hatch Match'r Fly & tackle if you are interested in attending, as seating is limited for this final course.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Todd
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »

The water level can change quickly at Stave because of the dam, they can change the flow at any time.
Last weekend I set my gear down about 10 feet back from the water and waded in a little, I didn't notice the water level change until I turned around and saw that my jacket and tackle box were in the water. Lesson learned.

I guess it could  be the combination of the dam or the tide. When I was there yesterday the water rose at least a foot in one hour and it was clear the water direction along the shore was opposite to the water direction further out. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:11:53 PM by fishseeker »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15