Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery  (Read 64346 times)

Banny

Re: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »

Guess you just have to keep at it, you will get them figured out sooner or later.

J

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2009, 08:16:33 PM »

Was there 3 days ago, lots of fish in the river but not what I've seen before.  I left when 3 guys waded in front of me >:( .  I was flyfishing for chums not hats. 

But I was surprised after reading reports on crayfish at how many I saw.   Just look in the water for red claws with white spots, there are so many in that river. 

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »

Was there on Saturday morning on the mid West side... water level was very low (doh - tide was out - forgot to check), and what few fish I saw - spawning colors where quite evident.  Did not see a single chromie.

This still did not discourage a number of 'fisherman' (I use the term loosely in this case) from using 6-8 foot leaders... where the water level was 1 - 3 feet deep.  >:(

One guy kept snagging them while his missus and child where cheering him on.  On the flip side - he did release them better than most others - carefully handling them and reviving them in the water before sending them on their way.  :)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »

I finally got a chance to check out Stave today.  Got there at about 7:15am, the gate was open and there were already a doz vehicles in the lot.  By noon there were 25-30 from toilet bowl on down the river.  Still lots of room.

I was dissappointed.  Just alot of camo'd chums and a handful of cutties.  Lots of fish were being "caught" and bonked *yuk*.   There was no bite this am, I threw alot of flies at them but nothing.  The other fly guys and spooners said the same thing.  Would of been great to get into one but oh well. 

Stopped into the fly shop on the way home and picked up a handful of flies and the skinny on the cohos there.  I'll be back  ;)

[Funeral of Hearts]  If you don't mind me asking, what flies were you using?

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »

Stopped into the fly shop on the way home and picked up a handful of flies and the skinny on the cohos there.  I'll be back  ;)

You can't go wrong with Gold beadhead Olive or Black Wooly Buggers...

Cheers,
Todd
http://www.bcflyfishingadventures.com/bcflyfishingadventures_034.com
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2009, 08:14:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply Todd.  I was hucking gold beadhead olive woolys but clearly not getting it deep enough in one spot and just the wrong location in others.  Wish I weren't working this saturday I'd take your course.

You can't go wrong with Gold beadhead Olive or Black Wooly Buggers...

Cheers,
Todd
http://www.bcflyfishingadventures.com/bcflyfishingadventures_034.com

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »

a variation of an Alaskabou

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2009, 02:19:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply Todd.  I was hucking gold beadhead olive woolys but clearly not getting it deep enough in one spot and just the wrong location in others.  Wish I weren't working this saturday I'd take your course.

That's too bad, as there are still a few seats available for Saturday's course...

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »

Any plan to hold the course in Vancouver ?

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2009, 03:50:54 PM »

Not at this time. I will be presenting only one "Coho Salmon on the Fly" course this fall (this Saturday, Oct 17th), as my work schedule is a bit too demanding these days...

Hope to see a few of you there!

Cheers,
Todd

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »

You should have a digest version available for download from your site.  I know I'd buy it.

Not at this time. I will be presenting only one "Coho Salmon on the Fly" course this fall (this Saturday, Oct 17th), as my work schedule is a bit too demanding these days...

Hope to see a few of you there!

Cheers,
Todd

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2009, 12:49:51 AM »

I was there last weekend also saw alot of fish in there mostly chum saw a couple spring carcasses but not a whole lot of fish. all of the ones i did see were definitely ready to spawn saw a couple chromers pulled up but as usual they we snagged as i see so many people doing on the stave. i was fishing roe on a light float and saw good results but no lovely does at all, all bucks  :'(

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:42 AM »

good report CNB thanks.
maybe see ya there soon

rosejeff

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »

Was there on Thanksgiving Monday, very busy. Brought home one chum for the smoker, caught using a jig floating only a couple feet down. Didn't see anything else but chum brought in. I thought the smaller fish I saw jump were Coho, but was told that those were pinks (the guy who told me works for fisheries) He also said it was still early for the Coho, should be more in the next few weeks.

Was a little dissappointed to see people snagging fish out of the spawning channel. ???

Nitroholic

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »

Was there on Thanksgiving Monday, very busy. Brought home one chum for the smoker, caught using a jig floating only a couple feet down. Didn't see anything else but chum brought in. I thought the smaller fish I saw jump were Coho, but was told that those were pinks (the guy who told me works for fisheries) He also said it was still early for the Coho, should be more in the next few weeks.

Was a little dissappointed to see people snagging fish out of the spawning channel. ???

I also saw what I thought were coho last weekend, few of them jumping and they were really bright. Going to give it a try tommorow  :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15