Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 103281 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »

The kosher salt is rather thick, hopefully it will dissolve. Gotta pick up some of that borax, and littles baggies...ill get some weird looks

careful with the salt after curing...if you put too much of it in the roe, it will burn the eggs and you'll end up with a product with spots on it.

mvelasco

« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »

Thanks blayd, heading home to portion them out right now.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2013, 12:57:34 AM »

Didn't want to start a new thread but I had been looking for fresh frozen roe as I ran out recently and havent caught a doe in awhile. Looked at berrys and stevestone but there eggs didn't seem to high in quality, so I dug around a bit more and found this guy in richmond Robs baits,  he has really nice spring and chum roe fresh frozen and he also has really good boraxed roe also saw some shrimp tails in brine for steelhead. Check him out on facebook robs baits

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

I had the same issue a couple years ago so I went to the docks at Steveston and found found a commercial boat that had fresh frozen chum roe on the skein or single eggs . Picked up a couple pounds of prawns while I was at it .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have a question:

Can you use kool-aid to dye roe in a brine??
Someone was here

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have a question:

Can you use kool-aid to dye roe in a brine??

I would worry about the scent in the kool-aid, unless they make a shrimp flavor that I am unaware of.   :P

DanL

• Old Timer

Lots of people use jello, gatorade, etc because they are essentially a sugar cure. If I recall, you have to add sugar to Kool-aid so it may not make a very effective cure on its own.

As a colouring agent? Probably work fine and I assume there are a huge number of colors to pick from. Combine it with some sugar and borax for the curing and you'll be good to go.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Ran put of procure when I killed a late season doe and ended up making my best ever batch of roe from kool-aid and jello

whereismyfloat

Care to share details on your process?

DRP79

« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2014, 06:16:09 AM »

Any tips on how to remove the veins still in skeins? I bled the fish pretty much right away but still see some veins. A friend told me to run a blade along them, pushing the blood out. Its tedious yet effective but I was just wondering if there is another way. Is it a sign that the fish was not bled fast enough or does it just happen?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »

Any tips on how to remove the veins still in skeins? I bled the fish pretty much right away but still see some veins. A friend told me to run a blade along them, pushing the blood out. Its tedious yet effective but I was just wondering if there is another way. Is it a sign that the fish was not bled fast enough or does it just happen?

Get a very sharp small pair of scissors and make small cuts on the vein spaced out about a quarter inch.  Then use a paper towel and gently rub or dab the area of the incisions until you get rid of all the blood.  I use a pair of scissors that are dedicated to cutting roe and nothing else.  Ensures that it stays sharp.

kevzabob

« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »

Does garlic powder work as well as I've heard, and if so do you just sprinkle it
On after the curing process?

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »

Roe issues..... Is anyone finding their borax to be drying out their roe?

I cured some chum roe the day before heading out (procure for 12 hours, patted excess liquids off with paper towel, and then put it into ziplock bag using a generous amount of borax, Mule 20 Team brand)...

by the end of the day, many of the outside eggs were beginning to dry out and harden. Prior to putting the roe in the borax ALL the eggs were very supple and ever so slightly moist.

I heard someone else complain that "they changed the borax formula"... but to my knowledge borax is borax (sodium tetraborate)

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Solutions? Perhaps i'm just using too much borax??

Thanks,
Blake Kid

Blackrt03

« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »

Nitrile gloves are the best for roe, keeps the roe and dye off you and your smell off the roe

x2

redside1

« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »

Does garlic powder work as well as I've heard, and if so do you just sprinkle it
On after the curing process?

Garlic oil works wonders at times on fish that are pooled up and not moving. Garlic paste is "must have" goop when bait is allowed for bar fishing the Fraser for chinooks. A number of different oils work well when using roe like Anchovy, Herring , Sardine, Anise, Shrimp and Tuna. Some days they are must have items when fishing salmon that haev been in the river for a few days or longer.