Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 103290 times)

doja

Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:23:34 PM by doja »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »

Bags are a bit of a hassle to make but they last so much longer on the hook.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »

Bags are a bit of a hassle to make but they last so much longer on the hook.

and less messy. Roe bags are the way I do it as I hate the mess and having to rebait every few casts

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »

ok seeing as everyone thinks rinsing roe is dumb, i have questions then.

I HATE roe that is sticky or dyes my fingers when im fishing. What is the best way to procure your roe (jar method) so i can make it nice and dry??

I cant just lay it all out because my girlfriend hates the smell of the procure which i kinda have to agree with. would it be better to cut it into chunks BEFORE throwing it into the jar with procure ??

im not a roe master as i hardly fish it anyways, i do make a good product but there is always room for improvement  ;)

I guess if i chunked it first then procured it i could just take it out of the jar and let it sit and dry. How long would the drying take then ??? it takes about 8hrs the way i do it now. I do borax all my roe once it has been cut and dried out, I mean its still a little sticky when i re-jar it and borax it.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »

if you make tougher roe by drying it then it will last longer then a few casts. roe bags are great for steelhead though because when a bag is crushed or torn your know it was a fish, where as with chunks you can bump a rock and have it fall off  >:( Yes even when short floating it can happen. Bags are also better if the fish are just tapping it because they have to commit to the bite to actually get a good taste, with chunks they can steal it from you without you being able to hook them however they will always come back for more  ;D

I personally like chunks because it takes me a couple hours to make enough roe bags for one days fishing and thats to much of a pain for me. especially when i have some chunks last me like 20-30 casts, I sometimes toss chunks away because the colour is gone before the roe has been destroyed or munched  :'(

YES you can put chunks in roe bags which can be way better then using singles in bags because chunks will milk really well compared to singles i have found.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

doja

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »

A quick rinse isn't going to hurt it too much as the salt in the eggs milk out over time. When your bait hits the water most of the scent is lost in the upper column of water any way, at least that is my thoughts.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:50:54 PM by doja »

doja

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »

YES you can put chunks in roe bags which can be way better then using singles in bags because chunks will milk really well compared to singles i have found.

Awsome! That is what I was thinking of doing with a new batch and recipe that dose not involve drying or placing on borax so it is a soft yet very milky bait.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »

It's actually the borax that 'milks' off for the first couple of casts.

I have only used singles for steelhead.

silverslab

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »

ACTUALLY !   the eggs milk out a scent, the borax is just to make it easier and acleaner to handle

doja

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2009, 07:08:18 PM »

It's actually the borax that 'milks' off for the first couple of casts.

I have only used singles for steelhead.

Umm... and then the salts in the eggs? I don't know if the borax penetrates the eggs but the sure salt does when in the brine.

I'm not putting my baits on borax this year so... it's what is inside the eggs that milks out. Ant it milks out much better than the borax/dryed method (15 minutes easy). I've tested them in glasses of water.

doja

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »

Umm... and then the salts in the eggs? I don't know if the borax penetrates the eggs but the sure salt does when in the brine.

I'm not putting my baits on borax this year so... it's what is inside the eggs that milks out. Ant it milks out much better than the borax/dryed method (15 minutes easy). I've tested them in glasses of water.

ACTUALLY !   the eggs milk out a scent, the borax is just to make it easier and acleaner to handle

And is gone with in in seconds of hitting the water. The scent milks out threw osmosis.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »

Doesn't anyone use nitrile gloves? 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »

I've made roe bags out of "chunks" and caught both coho and steelhead on them.  It does take time to make up - usually the night before.  However, they do last longer.  Lately, I've been just using chunks under Stratocaster's mentoring and it seems to be working well.  It's all in the sauce...   ;) ;) ;)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »

been using bags (the last few days out) from regular cured skeins, just to make the roe go a little further.

mr.p

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »

I think chunks is the only way to go right now.  Gin clear and low conditions chunks will definitely outfish bags.
The only time I will use bags is when visibility is down to 2-3ft or when I'm barfishing.

I'm getting anywhere from 10-20 casts with my procured roe. I'd say average is about 15 casts.  And as HOOK said, I've often changed my roe chunk because the colour has faded and the eggs have still be in perfect shape. 

If you want to get more durable eggs try adding some Knox Gelatin to your cure.  It will make your eggs nice and rubbery and increase durability.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...