Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 103274 times)

doja

Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »

Does anyone use the wet brine method described on Rodneys main web page?  I have tried it with pink roe and have yet to use it, the roe seems to be fairly firm after drying, just wondering?

Umm.... I tried to find it and couldn't. I must be extra slow today, so if some one would like to post a link to it that would be great.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »

Umm.... I tried to find it and couldn't. I must be extra slow today, so if some one would like to post a link to it that would be great.

Here: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1004_01.html

doja

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »

Here: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1004_01.html

Thanks.

So does anyone use a wet cure AKA put eggs in a liquid solution indefinitely until used?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »

Coho_Crazy - how do you figure my roe is ruined because i rinsed it ?? im only rinsing the excess colour off the eggs it doesnt get rinsed much longer then a minute maybe. I like my roe nice and dry so i dont get dye all over everything my hands touch. alot more enjoyable fishing that way and i dont have to scrub my rods/reels clean all the time (or at all) the roe i make up slays fish whenever i use roe so i dont think its ruined to say the least  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

doja

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »

Does anyone use the wet brine method described on Rodneys main web page?  I have tried it with pink roe and have yet to use it, the roe seems to be fairly firm after drying, just wondering?

Did a similar thing and had the same results, tuff roe.

But hey the title says "No Longer Sticky and Tricky roe " so seems about right. I think if you go on the lighter side of time in salt brine and always keep an eye on the drying it might turn out different. I went to the heaver side of things and then rolled it in pro-cure and then kinda over dried it a bit.

silverslab

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »

if anyone has any pics of their final product I would love to see it, I did another batch of chum and it turned out nice, its frozen now put i will post a pic of the finished stuff next week once I have been out ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »

I keep it simple. No dye. Just dry out, borax and than into roe bags. Nice natural roe in a sac and no mess. The color comes from the color of a roe bag good enough for me lol Also it lasts more than 3 or 4 casts. Even better is when we get the chum and get some chum roe. Than its single eggs. Single eggs means absolutely no mess. 5 eggs in a sac and your golden.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »

Jar method for me.  I've been using ProCure for years.  Started using fire cure a few years back and haven't looked back since this year.  Got turned onto Nates Bait Cure.  So far it blows them both out of the water.  Someone on an earlier post mentioned something about rinsing after curing.  Do not do this unless you want to start the eggs milking.  Best to keep all their juices in until you put them in the water you're going to fish.  Most guides don't even rinse skeins after they've taken them out of the fish. 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »

NO the roe does not milk, the only thing that drains off is colouring.The water rinsing off is like food coloured water, faint colour but still clear looking. no milky,cloudyness to it at all. So why does this sound so bad ?? I can take a pic of my final product with a dusting of borax on it (because its all jarred waiting to be fished) I dont think i need to catch tons more fish, i catch enough to keep me plenty happy  ;D and i dont kill nearly as many as i used to. I have been killing a few more this year then the last few because we are eating alot more lately since my girlfriend has figured out a good marinade  ;D MMMM gonna have Coho tomorrow
Check out our new blog

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 11:31:18 PM »

HOOK look doesnt matter.
He is saying that the juices and scents inside the eggs from the pro cure is being washed away - probably true.
Myself I brine it for 2 days in pro-cure (double red hot stuff) after butterflying the skeins...
After this I fill a bucket with borax... lay the eggs on a newspapers, cut into chunks throw them in the bucket and shake around (no drying time).
Then I fill a small ziplock bag a quarter full with borax, add 20 pieces of loonie size roe that have been shaken already, mix around then freeze.
This gives me a VERY good looking product, that never gets my hands sticky or coloured and catches alot of fish. Have left it in the freezer a year and still caught fish.

Natural I just betterfly the skeins, let them dry for 6-8 hours.
After this cut into chunks, throw them intot he bucket again and shake em up.
After the bucket they too go into a quarter filled ziplock bag full of roe (20 chunks).
Each bag normally lasts me a full day, stays on forever and looks good. Most importantly catches fish, and milks very nice.

aquaholic

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 08:38:29 AM »

First and foremost if you want quality eggs you must bleed the Fish ASAP after bonking it, and remove the eggs from the fish

My roe doesnt dry at all (For me quality eggs is important in hook up ratios) I go through tons of Borax i keep Pricemart foods sold out

Butterfly the skein, cut into strips then bait size peices in the procure to allow the eggs to juice, then re absorb after 3 days in the procure, straight in the borax and in a ziploc ready to fish. Adding Anise oil 1 day after the eggs have been in the jar of cure works well also, the anise oil will get re absorbed in to the eggs by day 3 - when i go to borax my roe and fish it, its dry and plump ready to go, i get a solid 5-10 casts out of a peice of roe

This methods works well, on connecting a constant 15-20 or more fish per outing.

Rinsing your eggs is not wise as the milking process as it hits the water plays an important roll on scent trails.
Pick up the egg cures book and read it, lots of great info

Here is a few ideas what i go by

Steelhead roe- Always natural ,i like wet natural brines with sugar/borax/salt/water etc
Coho roe - Natural its allready red either Borax cure,sugars, or natural procure add anise oil
Chum Roe - Either Natural or procured orange or red most of the time natural
Pink Roe - Pro Cured red, sometimes natural if its really orange colored eggs
Spring roe red/white - Procure the roe red/add anise oil

just because cured eggs look awesome when there done doesnt mean there awesome eggs, another thing you cant just chuck out a peice of bait and expect to catch something, you have to know how to read water and figure out where exactly those fish are going to be, once you got that figured out then your bait will provide you with lots of hook ups there is so many factors in getting a fish to bite your eggs then to just having a great bag of eggs.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »

One more thing about rinsing eggs.  If you're using tap water, you're rinsing it in chlorinated water.  Just like brining herring; you want to use river water or distilled water. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »

OK - here's a question.  Recently I attempted to cure up some pink roe using Pautzke's Balls of Fire (red).  Normally when I use this cure, the eggs (e.g. coho, chum, spring) work out well.  Anyway, I found that after three days, the eggs reabsorbed the juice - but over time, the eggs seemed to leak out the juice!  Individual eggs looked a bit shriveled up - if you get my drift.  I dried and boraxed the eggs which seemed to work in the short term, but over a few days in the fridge, the egss seemed to just leak out more juice, and the borax just got wet!  Anybody know why this is happening and if this is a bad thing?

???

mr.p

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 10:53:41 PM »

OK - here's a question.  Recently I attempted to cure up some pink roe using Pautzke's Balls of Fire (red).  Normally when I use this cure, the eggs (e.g. coho, chum, spring) work out well.  Anyway, I found that after three days, the eggs reabsorbed the juice - but over time, the eggs seemed to leak out the juice!  Individual eggs looked a bit shriveled up - if you get my drift.  I dried and boraxed the eggs which seemed to work in the short term, but over a few days in the fridge, the egss seemed to just leak out more juice, and the borax just got wet!  Anybody know why this is happening and if this is a bad thing?

???

I used the Pautzke BoraxOFire for the first time awhile back.  I did a wet brine and put them out on the drying racks.  It took forever to dry the eggs.  Usually when using procure or a natural wet brine the eggs will dry within 12-18 hours.  If I recall correctly, the borax o fire took almost 3 days to dry to my liking.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »

I thought the BorX O Fire worked by the more you added the drier it made the eggs ?? i mean it already has borax added to it, and i think thats what it says on the jar also. I read it but decided not to buy it and stuck to procures instead
Check out our new blog