Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 20th 2009  (Read 2994 times)

scales

• I'm a llama!
Chilliwack River, September 20th 2009
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »

First day out at the Vedder was rewarding.  My day started out at 7:45 am; a beautiful day it was!!! Crowds were encountered at every popular hole from KWB to the Limit hole but that never bothered me because there are 20 kms of fishable river to be tried.  Pinks are a lovely fish but I needed a different fight today so I decided to fish deep heavy flowing runs and pools today for my search of coho or springs.  The first two hours produce the odd pink hook up, hard to avoid since they are so thick in some holes.  As we trekked our way towards the top we noticed fewer fishers along the way except for the limit hole area with its permanent fishing community there and eventually to the Hatchery for a browse.  Wow 200 plus cohos already in the hatchery!!!!! My blood's starting to boil now so back down we go for our trekking again; 1 hour later we worked a beautiful run with blades and roe..no takers then switched to peach wool and bam fish on! This nice 20# white spring was our take for the day which never got me excited before, but it sure did TODAY after all the days of pink fishing.  Just to add some merit to the quality of the fish, my wife helped me clean, cut and bag this fish since she will not touch Vedder white springs!!!!

Cell phone camera, limited pic. quality
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:48:40 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Chilliwack River, September 20th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:50:46 PM »

Very nice, scales. Fixed the photo code for you.

You had the link wrong. In the future, do this:

Go to the page where the photo is, click on "all sizes" just above the photo. On the following page, the link that you want to use for posting on the website is under "2. Grab the photo's URL:"

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:58:50 PM »

Very nice, scales. Fixed the photo code for you.

You had the link wrong. In the future, do this:

Go to the page where the photo is, click on "all sizes" just above the photo. On the following page, the link that you want to use for posting on the website is under "2. Grab the photo's URL:"

Thanks

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 03:54:25 PM »

Hit the Vedder yesterday afternoon from 3:00 PM-7:30PM. I was surprised to see lots of BB'rs and lots of snaggers. (would rip their weight alot the bottom, then hooking them by the humps and keeping over their limit of fish) . But It was great for me. Caught about 30 crome pinks and 10 humped pinks on my centerpin and about 12 on my fly rod (all hooked by the mouth). But lost over 20. Only kept 2 females. Got into a nice sized spring but unfortunately lost it due to my leader breaking (only used 6 pound test :P). :(
Over all great day and can't wait to get out again. :)

Oh, forgot to say I saw one hatchery coho landed. :)

camtheman

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 06:50:48 PM »

nise fish and nice picture for a cell phone

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »

nice work!!! slayin them. Glad you had a good day buddy, sure feels good to get them the right way huh!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »

nice fish bro!!! some big ho's in the hatchery!

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »

nice fish bro!!! some big ho's in the hatchery!
I was shaking looking at the size of some of them ;D I'll have to strip off my 15# main line and re-spool my Fraser gear back on; 50# yellow braided line should do the trick!

fisherwithrod

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:52:05 PM »

30+10+12+20=72 fish caught or just hooked. Wow, that's quite a record... Seventy-two fish, if my math is correct, of course... wow. Hopefully they recovered fast after being released and are going to bite again for the enjoyment of less experienced fishermen... say, like me... and then go safely and lay some eggs... hopefully the hook in mouth with a 6 test line attached to it is still viewed as sexy by the opposite sex and will not make him/her less desirable for sexual activities...  ;D

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 09:09:40 PM »

All together me, my dad and uncle hooked that many. But they didn't hook as many as I did due to them using braided line. My dad hooked about 15 and my uncle about 15 (he was so exited that he took a picture of single one. :P ;D) I had one of my best Vedder salmon trips yesterday. All of the ones I released I released in the water without netting them or dragging them on the rocks.
But I was surprised about the snaggers and how many fish they were keeping. Even when they would release them they would drag it up on the rocks and leave them there of just throw them in the water as high and as far as they could.
What should I do about this? (call or report)

Thanks Nicolas.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »

All together me, my dad and uncle hooked that many. But they didn't hook as many as I did due to them using braided line. My dad hooked about 15 and my uncle about 15 (he was so exited that he took a picture of single one. :P ;D) I had one of my best Vedder salmon trips yesterday. All of the ones I released I released in the water without netting them or dragging them on the rocks.
But I was surprised about the snaggers and how many fish they were keeping. Even when they would release them they would drag it up on the rocks and leave them there of just throw them in the water as high and as far as they could.
What should I do about this? (call or report)

Thanks Nicolas.

just put the RAPP line in your phone 1800-465-4336, if you see violations call them up, and then get on with your day and have fun.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »

Thanks hue-nut. Putting that in my phone right away. :) Would like to see those snaggers get caught. 

Best of luck fishing, Nicolas.

coho killer

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »

yesterday was a good day exept the 2 wild coho i seen snagged and killed, my buddy called the dfo but they no show?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 10:16:12 PM »

yesterday was a good day exept the 2 wild coho i seen snagged and killed, my buddy called the dfo but they no show?

At least you guys tried and did what you could - good on ya ck!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

That really sucks to hear.
But at least you guys tried. :)