Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 19th 2009  (Read 3949 times)

Youngin

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, September 19th 2009
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while due to work/school the usual..
Found some free time this weekend and decided to hit the vedder to check out the pink madness!!
Water was very clear and the weather wasn't too bad!

Here are a few pictures I took!

kwb madness!

And the prize!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:09:04 PM by Youngin »

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 19th 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »

you call that KWB madness ?? ther is hardly anyone there !! where is the sockeye lineup of people ?? great pics and you got some nice pinks as well. No adult/jack springs or coho to be had ??
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

you call that KWB madness ?? ther is hardly anyone there !! where is the sockeye lineup of people ?? great pics and you got some nice pinks as well. No adult/jack springs or coho to be had ??

There were some more people, just can't see them in the picture, but yes, i've seen worse as well :P
No coho or springs for me..

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:42:06 PM »

I checked out the upper this morning. No coho, but five springs (plus a couple of on & gone) and a 12" dolly managed to empty my roe tub  :P All coloured stinky whites  :P : all  released
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »

remember to take the plastic off the rod handles.
Fish killer 101

deepcovehooker

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »

Hit the flow about 7:00 am by the Hydro Bridge, worked up and down from there till noon.  Released 11 male pinks and kept one female for the eggs.  Hit into one big spring but lost him after about 3 minutes. 

Some real rain storms in that time frame.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 08:05:25 PM »

Was out all day on the lower with the fly. Landed 40 or 50 pinks, kept 3 nice females. Landed a chrome spring jack as well on the fly. My buddy got a wild coho this morning about 7 or 8lbs. Great day. At one point I had 6 fish on 6 casts. It was madness!!!

No crowds where we were. We had an entire stretch on the lower to ourselves.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »

tried my luck for the first time on the vedder.  My problem was i only had roe from last year which i wasnt sure would be good still.  got to the designated spot around 9:00, put on some roe and tried my luck.  People downstream of me were catching pinks left and right which made me wonder what i was doing wrong till i realized that 90 percent of the fish they were bringing in they were releasing as they were foul hooked. 

Around 10:00 i get my first hook up and its fighting hard, my slow action rod was getting a workout and soon i had a jack spring on shore and it was a bar. 5 minutes later another jack which was released back into the river.  After awhile of no action i get a hit and it fights rather energetically and then felt dead on line.......I have fought fish like this before.  I get extra excited when it comes to the surface and see a dark back and a flash of silver.....my father in law calls coho as it nears shore but a couple more rolls and the hooks out.  After that i was out of roe and still haven't hit a  pink when they are surfacing all around me, guess they aren't into roe.  I try a fly that looks like shrimp and get one hook up that gets off just as fast.  Its noon and I am hungry so we leave to go home.  4 hookups for the few hours i was there wasn't bad but no pinks.  At least I can bring back something for the table. 

Saw one fellow land an adult spring but the rest were all pinks.

koko

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

Was out all day on the lower with the fly. Landed 40 or 50 pinks, kept 3 nice females. Landed a chrome spring jack as well on the fly. My buddy got a wild coho this morning about 7 or 8lbs. Great day. At one point I had 6 fish on 6 casts. It was madness!!!

No crowds where we were. We had an entire stretch on the lower to ourselves.
Wow, where were you  ;)

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »

Not sure why people are releasing the Spring Jacks. I bonked my 10th chrome bar of Vedder Jack Spring today, and only one has been white meat.
3 solid reds and 6 marbled....and the marbled ones have been 70%+ red meat. They barbeque up just like a nice fresh summer Red Spring.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »

Im just curious what you guys think is a clean pink, and what is table fair? In the picture above the back colour is running onto the white belly, would that fish taste any different then a fresh chrome pink with sealice? All the pink I saw today in the vedder were not full chrome, but I didnt come across a few that I felt were decent.
The Bigger The Better!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »

Im just curious what you guys think is a clean pink, and what is table fair? In the picture above the back colour is running onto the white belly, would that fish taste any different then a fresh chrome pink with sealice? All the pink I saw today in the vedder were not full chrome, but I didnt come across a few that I felt were decent.

I didnt take any photos of mine today as their are enough photos of pinks around. Lets just put it this way. Of the 40 or 50 pinks I landed today 3 females came home and about 8 or 9 fish that I caught I would consider table fare. I am sure others would consider more of them table fare but I am very picky. The fish I kept all had sea lice on them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »

I'm smoking them if they have even the beginning of a hump.  This basically means they have to have hit freshwater the same day.  Even then, If they don't get bled, and on ice immediately, I'm smoking them. 

doja

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 10:22:28 PM »

You want silver still showing. I don't keep them when there is no silver showing and just color, but if the meat is firm then it's still good to go.

mr.p

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 10:27:09 PM »

Fished hard all day with a buddy.  Started in the lower at firstlight.  Fishing was slower than earlier in the week.  Landed 1 wild jack coho and 1 jack spring.
Went to the upper and tried a couple of spots.  Landed a bunch of jack springs and lost one fairly large adult.
Went for lunch then back to the lower.  Ended the day with a few more coho jacks and spring jacks.
Lots of pinks around.  I did not see many I would consider fresh.  Did not bother targetting them.

It was insanely busy at certain spots. But it seems everyone is conjested into certain areas.  So with a little effor you can find nice water to yourself.

This guy swallowed the roe deep and was bleeding quite badly so I decided to keep him for dinner.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...