Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to this year's Rivers Day celebration?

Yes! :D
No... :(

Author Topic: Help the Chilliwack River on September 27th 2009  (Read 20464 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Help the Chilliwack River on September 27th 2009
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »

Excellent to see good amount of both new and returning support from the angling community! The weather forecast for Sunday continues to look good. So far we have had sunny weather for all of the Rivers Day event except one. :)

We're also looking forward to see your catches from the morning bite when you come to the registration. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 05:47:41 PM »

A few members have requested that they would like to partner up with other forum members or fishermen for the cleanup so they can learn more about the river at the same time.

Dennyman has emailed me and said that he will most likely be at registration at around 9am. Perhaps forum members should attempt to all show up at around 9am for easier grouping if they wish to? Just a thought.

I'll have a booth set up tomorrow, pretty easy to find. There'll be a big screen TV with fishing video playing.

steelheading

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »

I will be there with my son Matthew. 

Steelheading
Great sunny day with a beautiful Steelhead!

noxcape

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 01:30:54 AM »

if i could find a ride i would so be out there

jon5hill

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 01:53:45 AM »

I'll be there!

Hope to meet some of you guys!

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »

Was a great effort again by the organizers and volunteers. thanks to both plus the sponsors too!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 07:16:59 PM »

Attendance of today's event was just under 250 people.

Here are some photos that I took: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2009sepcleanup

samw

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »

Attendance of today's event was just under 250 people.

Here are some photos that I took: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2009sepcleanup

Just a quick question about one of the photos as I don't want to change topics from the great clean up that you guys did.  Are those pinks on ice still good for eating? 

funpig

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »

Just a quick question about one of the photos as I don't want to change topics from the great clean up that you guys did.  Are those pinks on ice still good for eating? 
Coho? May look dark because of the white background caused the camera to reduce the exposure, eg backlighting of sun will cause all the faces in foreground to be dark and unrecognizable. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:05:46 PM by funpig »

Rybar

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »

Nice work on the cleanup. And nice Coho's on ice.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »

samw was referring to this photo in the album.

They are edible, but personally I prefer mine a bit fresher than that. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »

A shaky and sun spotted video of the day at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nsWL7Mdok

I will slip a recent survivorman type video (camera filming from the top a rock) in of some fishing too but I should save it for The Journal that should be written. :-\ It is a bit embarrassing tale in it and even Rodney has not heard this one and it is a couple of weeks old now. ;D
The video is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNLB4QgnWmo

Oh and excuse the Thompson flip but it only the safe way for a old guy to land a fish on the very slippery rocks along the sleep incline of this run in low water conditions. Of course we donot do it if we are not going to retain the fish but I did make a mistake once that Rod and Mark saw. :-[
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:55:03 PM by chris gadsden »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »

Chris, whats the deal with calling everyone cheaters?
A buddy and I walked the canal corner up to the train bridge and got a good sized garbage bag full, half of it coming from the train bridge area itself. When we got back to the clean up at around 1:15 it looked like everything was winding down, and I was lucky enough to grab the last couple jalapeno smokies.  ;D I still have my draw ticket, Is it a winner?

One of the booth signs I read said "pinks are one of the 7 pacfic salmon"? Is there another one I do not know about?  ???

WOW was there alot of people out fishing, it was a little rediculous. We stopped at the Kieth wilson bridge to take alook and show my buddy the huge school of fish under the bridge and what I saw was just stupid. One guy hooks a pink, the pink wraps up in  3 other guys lines, the poor fish is brought to shore by 4 guys reeling it in. The fish was then dragged up on the beach where it was unhooked and left there,  must have been 10 guys within 5 feet of this fish on the beach, and not one person could even put in 2 seconds to push or even boot it back in the water...   :-\
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »

Chris, whats the deal with calling everyone cheaters?
A buddy and I walked the canal corner up to the train bridge and got a good sized garbage bag full, half of it coming from the train bridge area itself. When we got back to the clean up at around 1:15 it looked like everything was winding down, and I was lucky enough to grab the last couple jalapeno smokies.  ;D I still have my draw ticket, Is it a winner?

One of the booth signs I read said "pinks are one of the 7 pacfic salmon"? Is there another one I do not know about?  ???

WOW was there alot of people out fishing, it was a little rediculous. We stopped at the Kieth wilson bridge to take alook and show my buddy the huge school of fish under the bridge and what I saw was just stupid. One guy hooks a pink, the pink wraps up in  3 other guys lines, the poor fish is brought to shore by 4 guys reeling it in. The fish was then dragged up on the beach where it was unhooked and left there,  must have been 10 guys within 5 feet of this fish on the beach, and not one person could even put in 2 seconds to push or even boot it back in the water...   :-\
Not at all we were just supposed to have someone at the the table to regulate it as that what those in charge of the table wished to do.

Re your other concerns, everyone was asked to be back to the clubhouse by 12, maybe you missed hearing that. Registration was from 8:30 to 9:30 so we only ask people to be out on the river for 2 to 3 hours. You must remember the directors, other volunteers and those with the displays had a very early start that morning many driving from Vancouver and are very tired by 1:30. Of course that is not the end of it for the directors as some of us did not get wrapped up until 6, a 12 hour day. As well today there was other things to complete.

Tickets not claimed were redrawn for. I will copy  and paste your concerns to some other directors, later, as I am going fishing as you can see sometimes being a volunteer at such an event you are never completly finished.

Thanks for taking part in the cleanup and maybe one day you will consider being a CVRCC director as many of us have been at it for 8 years, maybe we are just getting too old and should spend our last few years fishing more.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:08:30 PM by chris gadsden »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

This was our first cleanup and it certainly was a good feeling removing so much garbage from such a beautiful place. Hats off to those who put on such a good BBQ afterwards, those burgers really hit the spot after walking the river all morning.

We started on the backside of Tamahi but much to our suprise it wasn't in that bad of shape. After filling a bag of garbage and a bag of cans at Tamahi we decided to head up river in search of the motherload.
Just as I suspected we found two old campsites up past the cedars that managed to fill my truck.

The worst part of our day came heading back to unload, we passed a bag on the side of the road on the way up and it was still there coming back so I pulled over to pick it up. The wife jumps out and tries to throw it in the back but its too heavy, I jump out and with a little elbow grease manage to get the heavy bag on top of the trash. A few seconds down the road I look at my wife and ask "whats that smell?" knowing all too well that I had just thrown a 50 lb bag of rotten fish guts onto our truck  :P While unloading the bag in question leaked some of its contents onto my clothes and the rank odour came all the way back to Vancouver with me. Im guessing the bag of fish guts was more than likely left by one of the camper units that spend weeks at a time harvesting fish up there.