Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meeting @ Chehalis Band office Re: Sockeye Fishing Co-Operation  (Read 6868 times)

Gaffer

An Emergency meeting lasting 2.5 hrs took place today @ the Chehalis  FN office ,it was called to discuss current confrontations on the Fraser. Rod Clapton of the BC Federation of Driftfishers , and FN Chief Willie Charlie , plus 12 other concerned group Reps including those from Fraser River Guides my friend'n , RCMP , Sto:LO Nation , BCWF , and Salmon Table. Hi-lighted were infractions on both sides and all agreed that the status quo was not working and also a genuine committment on all sides to seek permanent solutions. Rod stated that past discussions had achieved little success , and it was imperative that an ongoing mechanism is required to monitor the situation. It was agreed the Fraser River Salmon Table would do the  organizing  and monitoring . A Sub-Committee was formed (6 people) to review & present options to the Main Committee on Sep 24th . Clapton will represent BCFDF on the Sub-Committee . Meeting ended on a positive noteand Time will tell if it was useful---- Tight lines
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:22:49 PM by Gaffer »

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Meeting @ Chehalis Band office Re: Sockeye Fishing Co-Operation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:56:24 PM »

Hopefully a step in the right direction.  :)
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:59:50 PM »

Meeting such as this is a good start. It'll be a long process but it needs to start somewhere. Those who have been very vocal on these issues should consider (if you haven't done so) joining groups that attend these meetings (BCFDF, BCWF, FVSS) because they become your voice.

Gaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:27 PM »

Meeting such as this is a good start. It'll be a long process but it needs to start somewhere. Those who have been very vocal on these issues should consider (if you haven't done so) joining groups that attend these meetings (BCFDF, BCWF) because they become your voice.
Director Sportfisng Defense Alliance , Director BC Federation Of Driffishers , BCWF Member, Past Director Fraser River Ad-Hoc Gravel Committee, Member Fraser Valley Salmon Society--- And Thanks for the BCFDF Plug------- Tight Lines-Sharp Hooks

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:30:49 PM »

Hopefully a step in the right direction.  :)
Yes it is but all those involved must keep the dialog going this time as it was attempted a couple of years ago and before that with other meetings between rec fishers organizations ,F/N, FOC and the RCMp but after a few meetings it fizzled out due to the lack of attendance.

I am not being trying to be pessimistic but so many times these things start on a high note but after the fishing season winds down things are forgotten until another crisis develops.

Hopefully this time the parties involved will stay the course so peace returns to the river and all user groups and the fish will benefit.

Gaffer keep us informed and hopefully there is not too many bridges to wide to cross. ;D ;D ;D

Gaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »

Yes it is but all those involved must keep the dialog going this time as it was attempted a couple of years ago and before that with other meetings between rec fishers organizations ,F/N, FOC and the RCMp but after a few meetings it fizzled out due to the lack of attendance.

I am not being trying to be pessimistic but so many times these things start on a high note but after the fishing season winds down things are forgotten until another crisis develops.

Hopefully this time the parties involved will stay the course so peace returns to the river and all user groups and the fish will benefit.

Gaffer keep us informed and hopefully there is not too many bridges to wide to cross. ;D ;D ;D
Chris-- Yea verily I say unto you" Those who want to succeed will succeed and them that don't won't" And the end of the snake to to be wary of is the front end not the rattle so we all can do something to get & be involved after the sockeye season is over(like Now) or we can rattle . Now's the time to choose--- fish or golf--Tight lines/Sharp hooks

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »

Gaffer I understand there was another meeting re this the past week, how did it go other that I heard Mr. Crey missed the meeting. :o

Gaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »

Gaffer I understand there was another meeting re this the past week, how did it go other that I heard Mr. Crey missed the meeting. :o

:-*Chris: heard the same thing--- but meeting still went ahead --no "official" notes ready yet-- will keep all up to date as best I can.It should be noted though that Mr Crey's canoe ain't the only one in the water , and other interested parties were there , and all were paddling in the same direction-- if you get my drift--- Cheers for now :-)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »

:-*Chris: heard the same thing--- but meeting still went ahead --no "official" notes ready yet-- will keep all up to date as best I can.It should be noted though that Mr Crey's canoe ain't the only one in the water , and other interested parties were there , and all were paddling in the same direction-- if you get my drift--- Cheers for now :-)
Thanks for the update. I heard Ernie was double booked that day so missed the meeeting and I am not sure why James Leon from Chehalis did not attend but Chief Willy Charlie did meet with represenatives from the Recreational Sector.

Gaffer

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »

Thanks for the update. I heard Ernie was double booked that day so missed the meeeting and I am not sure why James Leon from Chehalis did not attend but Chief Willy Charlie did meet with represenatives from the Recreational Sector.
;)Looks we're both on board with this one Chris so I'll be in touch as things progress--- Cheers L