Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BIG Papi!  (Read 2082 times)

Shooter

BIG Papi!
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:15:50 AM »

I am not to sure how many of you are baseball fans, but for me baseball takes over where the NHL playoffs end.  As a Yankees fan, my world was turned upside down at the beginning of the 2009 season when the biggest name in baseball admitted to using performance enhancing drugs in the 01,02, and 03 seasons while a member of the Texas Rangers!  Now you dont have to be a baseball fan to know what has been occurring in baseball in the past couple of years as the headlines make every sport show out there.... the mitchell report, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Congress hearings, Charges, Andy Pettite... the list goes on.
Fast forward to the first month of baseball, ARod goes down with a hip injury before the season even starts and the buzz surrounding his admission slowly disappears.  He is the only one of 104 players who tested positive for PED's in 2003 to have his name released to the press, a test that was supposed to guarantee complete anonymity.  Next up in the headlines, Manny!  Suspended 50 games for failing the MLB's drug policy... no sooner is Manny back on the field when the latest rounds of headlines have broke.  As members of the Redsox, both he and Ortiz tested positive for PED's in 03!  So, how do you win your first world series in 86 years???  Take two of the best hitters in the game, throw in a little HGH, add one bloody sock and there you have it!  Nothing makes me happier then watching Boston struggle, a smile came across my face when Manny was suspended, i'm chuckling a little now that Ortiz has been named, but enough of slowly leaking names one by one!  Just give up the remaining 100 names so that everyone fields the same questions at the same time.  this game of 'who's next' is getting a little old real fast.  How many other guys are going to deny using drugs only to be found out later down the road?! 

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
Re: BIG Papi!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »

Wouldn't it be interesting if the 100 + who tested positive were mostly the top 100 players in the league at that time?

What a mess,  but at the same time, what can you do about it.  You can't put asterisks next to everyone's name, or to certain teams. 

But the game has never been totally clean... Think of the spitballs, doctoring balls, corked bats... there has always been so much at stake that many players /teams have bent the rules to get an edge.

No game is exempt. Hockey players with illegal curves,  Nhl going with composite stick shafts... that's like baseball allowing aluminum bats, isn't it??
the whole goalie equipment size thing is about as bad as steroids when it comes to skewing historical goalkeeping data...

but the difference is noone is denying the pads got HUGE a few years ago..