Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing on the West Coast Trail?  (Read 9908 times)

Roots

Fishing on the West Coast Trail?
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:09:47 AM »

I'll be hitting the West Coast Trail on August 21st, and was just wondering if there's a point in bringing along a small rod.

Are there any fishing opportunities at the mouths of the rivers? I like the idea of casting from shore for flounder, are there any sandy parts along the trail where it would be possible to do this? Also, I believe the Pinks are back this year... is the area between Port Renfrew and Bamfield on their migration route - any chance of hooking any along the trail? Thanks for you help guys... any feedback would be appreciated.

doja

Re: Fishing on the West Coast Trail?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »

It would seem that if you are going on a hike (alone or with others and for how long?) that most of your time would be spent hiking and not much left over for fishing.

That said if you have a telescopic rod then why not but carrying a bigger rod would seem to be a pain and risk of damaging your rod.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »

was a chat about this a while back, may be relevant
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20094.0

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »

Take a travel rod of some sorts.  I bought a telescoping rod from the nice people at riverside.  Pinks were just starting to show up when I was there a couple weeks ago. I caught one, but with my bare hands, and then put him back in the main channel.  There would definately be a few rivers and creeks that would have em on the hike, so dfinately give it a try.  Also lots of small (8 inches or so) cutties in most of the creeks and rivers, and at the ferry crossing, there are bucket loads of perch, trout, and salmon all mixed in trying to get the scraps from the crab lunches.

I didn't have any luck fishing the ocean mainly because it was to rough to get into a good spot, but you might be able to fish off the end of a surge channel.

Which way you heading?  The 5km closest to pt. renfrew is by far the hardest section.  I still have nightmares about it.  :P