Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River barfishing video (both instructional and action footages)  (Read 10953 times)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman

Very Educational - learned a lot from what I've watched so far.  :)

But two things... I agree with Terry - the background  ??? music is a little distracting...
And since I don't have a boat, nor do I know of anyone who has one worthy for the river, can you provide an instuctional video as to how to walk on water to get to some of these bars that are only accessible by water..  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

ERNIE

Great videos.....................................landing that nice spring in the middle of the show really makes it fun to watch.  Very well done guys!!!!

(PS- I personally like the music)

gheart008

So what happens to all that weight after it breaks off into the river?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

So what happens to all that weight after it breaks off into the river?
A lot are found during low water  flows in the Fall and Winter by chaps like leadbelly. ;D ;D It is a hobby by many as it is like treaurer hunting as you can find a lot of other goodies like rings, money, scissors, knives, bells and fishing rods, etc.
. ;D Some use metal detectors. I found a pair of sun glasses the other day as the water was receding on Maple Leaf Bar.

Buck_wife

I highly doubt that net man would EVER get fired.... :)

and some people find so many treasures that they can pretty much live off what they find...... ;) ;D

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Excellent job on these videos!  There is so much talk on these forums about getting people to use selective and ethical fishing methods.  I think that these videos will convince a lot of people to give bar fishing a try. 

I have often had the problem of having to use more weight than people fishing around me.  I guess that it is because I cast too far.  Is there an ideal distance from shore to cast (on the bar in the video, which I am familiar with, or all bars in general)?  Do the fish generally travel in the same lane a constant distance from the shore?  Is it better for everyone in a group to fish the same distance, or is it better to stagger them to cover more of the river's width?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Last part of this series is now available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8fkgoLJz8

This part talks about the rod holders, the rod and reel, bell placement and etiquette.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I have often had the problem of having to use more weight than people fishing around me.  I guess that it is because I cast too far.  Is there an ideal distance from shore to cast (on the bar in the video, which I am familiar with, or all bars in general)?  Do the fish generally travel in the same lane a constant distance from the shore?  Is it better for everyone in a group to fish the same distance, or is it better to stagger them to cover more of the river's width?

Part four and five answer most of these questions actually, about how far to cast, what depth that you need to be fishing at, the amount of weight and how far apart people need to be.

Riverman

• old fart

Jolly good show.Two thumbs up! :)
Riverman

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Thanks.

I've been getting fair amount of emails from individuals who are expressing interests in barfishing. I'd like to answer all of them, but please be sure to go through all five parts of the video before emailing because most of the questions that I have received are already answered in the video.

In the future, expect to see more instructional series such as this as I develop new projects with the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, local associations and stores. If there are specific fisheries that you'd like to see demonstrated, you're welcome to email me your ideas.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

Would you consider doing a video on bottom bouncing Rodney?   ;D ;D

Just kidding of course!  Trying to introduce a little levity to a somewhat tense topic....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I'll let Chris take care of that. ;)

I'd say this thread is as relaxing as it could get. My firm belief is that educating (not to be confused with a different type of education that some like to use) and making the information transparent can only be beneficial to all.

Much of this credit has to be given to Nick Basok at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle. Not only the guy can catch fish like a drift net, he has the willingness to share his skills.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

Much of this credit has to be given to Nick Basok at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle. Not only the guy can catch fish like a drift net, he has the willingness to share his skills.

I do my shopping there and Nick is also very helpful in the store!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

sugartooth

Re: 2009 Fraser River bar fishing video (both instructional and action footages)
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »

Would it be feasible to use this method of fishing on smaller systems such as the vedder/chilliwack or harrison as an alternative to float fishing for springs?

gcal

Re: 2009 Fraser River barfishing video (both instructional and action footages)
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »

Great information as usual! Thanks Guys!   

One question...    How do you rig up a second hook, as allowed for tidal Fraser?    Do you add another "steel wire", or do you rig a second hook to the terminal end?

Thanks.