Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Squamish River salmon fishing opportunities  (Read 12263 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2009 Squamish River salmon fishing opportunities
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:39:26 AM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=118653&ID=recreational

This is a reminder that the daily limit for Chinook, pink and chum salmon is zero (0) per day in the Squamish River and all tributaries including the Mamquam River and Cheakamus Rivers until further notice.

In consultation with the Squamish-Lillooet Sport Fishing Advisory Committee (SLSFAC) due to the low returns of Chinook, pink, and chum salmon to these systems the retention of these species is set to zero until further notice. 

2009 Salmon Retention opportunities include:

From September 15 to December 31, 2009 you can retain one (1) hatchery marked coho in: the Cheakamus River, the Mamquam River andthe Squamish River downstream of boundary signs at the powerline crossing approximately 1.5 km upstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River.

Please ensure that you have properly identified your catch as there will be two year old Chinook jacks returning to the Squamish system this fall along with coho.  You may not retain the Chinook jacks.  Chinook will have black gums at the base of their teeth, heavily spotted on the tail and may have a missing adipose fin. Chinook jacks should also be fairly small with most of the fish being under 4 lbs.  Coho have a black mouth with white gums as well as light or no spotting on the top half of the tail. Hatchery mark coho will have a missing adipose fin.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Call your local Fisheries & Oceans Canada office.

Notes:

The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific Salmon (other than kokanee) from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.  This includes all species of fish in the Fraser River.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon.  Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment.  Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.  The telephone number of the Squamish DFO office is 604-892-3230.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Squamish River salmon fishing opportunities
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »

Does this mean the Squamish chum fishery of the recent past is history, to be no more and destined to become a legend we tell our grandchildren?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »

Does this mean the Squamish chum fishery of the recent past is history, to be no more and destined to become a legend we tell our grandchildren?

I hope not

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »

I remember when we couldn't keep any Chum but Coho was OK.

Then they opened retention for Chum but no Coho.

Now we're back where we started, personally I'd like to see any freshwater retention for Salmonids closed altogether.

That would keep the meatheads @ home in front of wrestling and reality TV where they belong.

jimmywits

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:44 AM »

I remember when we couldn't keep any Chum but Coho was OK.

Then they opened retention for Chum but no Coho.

Now we're back where we started, personally I'd like to see any freshwater retention for Salmonids closed altogether.

That would keep the meatheads @ home in front of wrestling and reality TV where they belong.
Well said, could not agree more strongly!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:21:32 PM »

if pinks and chum show up in numbers ,it will open. this area is well known for fly fishing for pinks and chums.so why would you want it closed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:36:24 PM by Rodney »

jimmywits

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »

if pinks and chum show up in numbers ,it will open. this area is well known for fly fishing for pinks and chums.so why would you want it closed.
to allow the fish to spawn, I have never understood the appeal in catching half dead salmon trying to successfully complete the reproduction of species.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »

to allow the fish to spawn, I have never understood the appeal in catching half dead salmon

This river is one of the best places to get bullet chrome fish of both pinks and chum. Sorry but you are wrong.  Sam all salmon fisherman who hit the river aren't meatheads on a mission to fill the freezer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:55:38 PM by dereke »
always a student

bravo252

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »

This river is one of the best places to get bullet chrome fish of both pinks and chum. Sorry but you are wrong.  Sam all salmon fisherman who hit the river aren't meatheads on a mission to fill the freezer.

Dereke~ I feel the same way!! ;D Sam! your reply could be offensive for some well mannered anglers.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »

Just to make some clarifications, this notice is for the closure of retention of pink and chum slamon. Fishing for salmon is not closed, but anglers have to practice catch and release on thos species that cannot be retained.

The Lower Squamish River indeed offers (offered) a very good salmon fishery due to its location. Chum salmon enter the river during the incoming tide and they are often as fresh as the ones that you would encounter in the ocean.

Wulff Man

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

this is a sad day...hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »

It is not looking good for the Squamish system.  Especially now that Brohm is under attack... sign the petition! http://savegaribaldi.org/take-action/online-petition

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »

Salmon farms, gravel dredging, multiple spills into the Fraser by trains, development in riparian areas, eliminating flood plains and off channel habitat by constructing dykes, etc. etc.   Looks like the rooster is coming home to crow.  I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen it go on for way too long and I think we can all agree that fishing has been going down hill for a while.  Just wait, there'll be another push for more gravel pretty soon somewhere in the lower basin. 

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »

Salmon farms, gravel dredging, multiple spills into the Fraser by trains, development in riparian areas, eliminating flood plains and off channel habitat by constructing dykes, etc. etc.   Looks like the rooster is coming home to crow.  I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen it go on for way too long and I think we can all agree that fishing has been going down hill for a while.  Just wait, there'll be another push for more gravel pretty soon somewhere in the lower basin. 

Isn't this about the Squamish? There are enough threads on Fraser mismanagement I'd say, let's not get derailed.
always a student

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »

dereke, Hello, this is about the squamish.  Are you telling me there's no development, no dams, no dykes, no dredging between the squamish and the ocean.  And, are there no fish farms in the salt water where juveniles are migrating?