Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quadra Island Shore Fishing  (Read 9162 times)

colin6101

Quadra Island Shore Fishing
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »

I'm heading to Quadra Island this weekend for a week long camping trip and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on fishing spots to try. For the most part I will be limited to shore fishing, I will have my kayak with me but that doesn't help much in the ocean. Last year I did fairly well for cutthroats between one to four pounds off of Rebecca Spit (really close to where I will be staying) with silver spoons, so I know I can get into some fish but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on anything else? Thanks!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Quadra Island Shore Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 05:28:44 PM »

I will have my kayak with me but that doesn't help much in the ocean.

Why not-Kayak fishing is wild popular in many places.

Click Here for all kinds of Kayak fishing info

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:54:31 PM »

Thanks for that site! Lots of good information on there. I would definately be willing to try out some fishing from my kayak ( I do it all the time in rivers and lakes, just have never tried the ocean before). I also know that I am limited what I can fish for in my kayak however, I don't want to stray to far off shore by myself and I don't want to fish for anything too big ( I hooked into a spring once on a side channel in the Fraser while pink fishing and got towed around for a bit haha).

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »

....hooked into a spring once on a side channel in the Fraser while pink fishing and got towed around for a bit haha).

That would be a bit hairy around Quadra where the tide rips boil and the current rips! :o

cohojoe

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »

lucky you.   I cast giant buzz bombs from shore for salmon.   I do not know what it would feel like from a kayak to toss giant lures.
make sure you have an escape plan or a rescue plan just in case you get the big one and it tows you into the rough water .    You will  be holding the rod but cannot paddle properly ;  unless you fasten your rod to the boat and paddle away from the rough.   It happens more often than you think.    This happened to us at Kyoquot sound from motor boat and still we could not hold the big fish.   Or take a cell phone with you,  test it to make sure you get reception and use it in an emergency where you need a rescue boat to intercept you with your big fish.  In any case send us a picture. 

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »

Will do! Yeah hooking into big fish in a kayak is quite the experience. I never leave without telling people where I will be and making sure I have a way out. I also always have a knife and pliers on me in case I have to cut the line. I tend to use braided line and the stuff can be really hard to straight line even when the fish is way over the line rating. I have a few pictures of the cutthroat I caught last year, I'll upload them with the pics from this year when i get back (hopefully there will be more this time around). I have some buzz bombs as well but never thought to bring them last year, I will have to give that a try.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »

Caught lots of Salmon from the Kayak. Just have a big net on the front deck, and a good club in the boat. And a garbage bag to slide them into or your crotch is going to smell nasty. Buzz Bomb and fish finder your laughing. Most fish are close to shore right now too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:48:16 AM »

get a report from Tyee Marine...I read it a couple days ago and they talked of shore fishing for springs at a specific location.

PS I was there for the long weekend and did well...we hooked 5 springs trolling the hump. 

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »

Thanks again for the info guys, looks like Im going at a decent time to attempt some salmon fishing at least. It sounds like buzz bombs and big spoons are the go to choices for salmon fishing around there. Of course I will throw everything I have at them if that doesn't work.

colin6101

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:23:46 AM »

Well it was an absolutely fantastic trip over to Quadra. I managed to get quite a bit of fishing in, but didn't end up with any salmon. On the plus side, I discovered an amazing cutthroat fishery from the shoreline, and also had a blast catching all the cod and rockfish species on my ultralight spinning rods. Heres a few pictures of the fish I caught. They are the smallest cutthroats I caught there, as I couldn't safely take pictures of the larger ones. I caught almost all the fish and they ranged anywhere from 10" to 22". Fantastic area though and anyone who hasn't been there should check it out.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:51:57 AM »

Cool!

Thanks for the pics-we love pics! 8) 8) 8)