Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lightning Lake  (Read 3047 times)

fishman1

Lightning Lake
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »

Headed to Manning Park next week any suggestions on what flies to use on Lightning Lake.

Thanks very much

Brian

Re: Lightning Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:43:41 PM »

My 3-year old son and I casted small yellow (brass?) spinners from a canoe a month ago.  Landed 4 small trout, 5 got away.

lude98r

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »

depends on the weather, leech or chrominid

bcguy

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »

You might run into the tail end of a Damsel Fly hatch, try one of those if your fly fishing,or Mayflies.
I've aalso had success with small yellow spinners (Panther Martin), and Mepps Black Fury
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

definately a better fly lake then hardware. fish dries like mayflies and tom thumbs at night, use chromie chronis in the late morning-afternoon ;)

Radman

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »

I was just there yesterday, we just cast small dries anywhere around log areas near shore and we caught trout all day long.  The only problem is there all very small trout, the largest we caught was maybe 11 inches.

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »

Yeah if tyou nail one bigger than 12" its a monster...
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

fishman1

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. Just got back today.  The ticket was any small dry adult mayfly imitation.  My favorite was a Royal Wolfe.  The mayfly were hatching like crazy.  The fly wasn't on the water any more than 30 seconds before a trout would take a swipe at it.  Biggest caught was about 8 ".  My 6 year old daughter had a blast.