Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishing the Skeena  (Read 4063 times)

Yopesco

Fly fishing the Skeena
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »

I'm going for a fly fishing trip to the Skeena in mid August (salmon). Can anybody give me some advice in the best set/ups and flies to use. Never fished that systems. Thank you all.

Yopesco

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Fly fishing the Skeena
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »

a good site to ask would be FlyBc, they are all about fly fishing and lots of members on there that fish up there often.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Yopesco

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »

Thanks Hook.

Yopesco

cohojoe

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »

try phoning the shops up there.  Or call some of the shops down here and see if all the info matches up.    Most important check out your Fly Lines and Rod to see if you can do this type of Big Water fly fishing.   I just got back from the Thompson and was suprised how my Skagit technique did nothing for me.   Big   Fast water frustrates the lake fly angler.  Also test your leaders and tippets.    Those big boys will toy with you.

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:49:22 AM »

you should try the kitimat at that time of year its less than an hour from terrace and its can be none stop action that time of year when it rains pinks and chum come pouring in its like a long train of fish. just intersect the fish highway! try under the bridge in town or at the down stream side of the island across from the hatchery unless theres to many bottom bouncers but there is usually room after the chinook fishery ends

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »

Also visit Noel Gyger's website for up to date information on rivers in that area.  Another person to contact would be Ron Wakita as he runs a guiding service on the Kitimat River, and also runs a hardware store in Kitimat that sells fishing tackle. He would be able to tell you which sections of the river are fishing well and flies and tackle to use.

J.G.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »

try phoning the shops up there.  Or call some of the shops down here and see if all the info matches up.    Most important check out your Fly Lines and Rod to see if you can do this type of Big Water fly fishing.   I just got back from the Thompson and was suprised how my Skagit technique did nothing for me.   Big   Fast water frustrates the lake fly angler.  Also test your leaders and tippets.    Those big boys will toy with you.

Just shy of adding split shot to your leader, Skagit lines are the most effective way to fish the Skeena. They will hurl 1/2 a chicken and 15' of T-14 a long way........ :o

You will miss the majority of the springs and sockeye, but steelhead fishing will be on fire, as well as some good coho fishing.

black,blue,purple,pink,chartreuse........any of these colors, in any combination, tied in an "intruder" pattern, fished on a tip suited to the water you are on, will produce well

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »

go to pacific angler talk to Ron , Casey or Jason ,they will set you straight ;D
girls suck throw rocks at them!

nosey

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »

Try Noel Gygers fishing reports, he gives weekly reports for all anglers in the area a good read with excellent pics.