Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back At It, The First Journal For July  (Read 3306 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Back At It, The First Journal For July
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:02:16 AM »

Once again a warm welcome and greeting to The Journal on Fishing with Rod your top fishing web site in the North West for fishing information, tall tails, fishing tips, video, discussing environmental issues and much more.

The end of last week saw the start of another fishing trip in the great province of British Columbia. I was excited with the thought of once again hooking my third Chinook of the season. Although I had hooked two, only one had come to hand as the second, the previous gained its freedom as a poorly tied knot by this angler had come untied at the swivel just as I was about to slip into the gaping net. It reinforced the fact one most take more care being it the most simplest of tasks. I cannot remember when I had lost a fish to a badly tied knot in the last 45 years of fishing but I do remember when I was a teenager I lost several chinooks in Cowichan Bay while mooching plug cut herring. I had not made enough loops tieing a clincher knot, joining the the leader to the hook. My dad then taught me the Palomar knot that is supposed to be one of the best knots ever, that’s what dad said anyway. (Knots by Grog is a good web site to go for a variety of fishing knots)

As I was excited to get out on the water once again I was having a restless night, tossing and turning, thinking of the Maple Leaf Drennan once again disappearing from sight not knowing what I had hooked until the hook was set.

So I left the confines of the warm bed and readied the last of the supplies, enough for a two day trip. Daylight had not yet broken as the Leaf Mobile was purring her way down the freeway. Only a few other cars were on the road, some returning to the big city after staying a little later at some destination celebrating and enjoying Canada Day. Some would be doing so, in order to make work that morning. This senior had no thought of work, other than casting a line a few hundred times over the next two days.

I finally reach my destination. I leave the main road, to a side road that takes me to the river. As I first have to drive down a step grade I walk it first to remove a few rocks that have tumbled down the bank over the past winter. With the road way clear I drive down to the flat but I only go maybe 200 yards and I am met with a big slide containing large boulders, too large to move. Now I am in trouble as I can not back up the hill and the road is too narrow to turn around.

Luckily I have packed a axe and a machete, maybe I can cut some bush along the road, enough to make a turning radius to enable that to happen, not that I like to cut the bush but I have no choice. I fine a place a little winder than the rest and begin to do some logging. Both cutting tools had not seen a file in a while, so as to make the task a little easier. They do the task though; it takes a few minutes to do this. I am getting hot now as the sun in rising higher in the sky, sweat beads up on my brow, needed a chain saw. I guess I am at work, like the ones I remarked about earlier.

I flip down some carpet on a soft spot, on one of the now cleared sides of the road, carpet I pack along for such a task, it has come handy a few times. I jump in the cab of the Leaf Mobile wondering if I indeed have enough room to turn the 180 degrees needed. No I have not as the boat; the Leaf Craft #2 in the back is hitting some trees. So I have to unload her, take out the coolers etc., more anxious moments

With the boat looking lost on the road I barely make the turn but the first blemish in the side of the Leaf Mobile is made, a small sampling makes contact with the fender, she is now christened.. Happily I have been able to turn; my palms are sweaty, like my brow as I load the boat the coolers back into the back.

An hour or so has passed as I made the near fatal mistake of not checking further ahead while first removing the rocks from the step grade.

I hit the gas petal and start the climb going at a fair speed too. The tires begin spin in the loose rocks and gravel as I nears safety, I come to a grinding halt, what goes. I look behind me, what the heck the boat is once again sitting in the middle of the road she has been uncermonially dumped on her behind. No wonder I spun out, lost the weight at the back end. I back down the treacherous incline, slowly to retrieve her, careful not to drive off the narrow roadway. As I reach the unhappy Leaf Craft I look up that narrow road, I see one of her oars laying there that I go and pick up before I reload the boat. Darn, after the oar had flipped out I drove over it on the way back downhill, it is now two oars, one a short paddle the other a push pole, useless now, disgusted. Back to the task of loading the boat and the coolers that are also scattered around, a disaster zone, what a trip this is turning into, its nearing noon and I have not made a cast, so much for leaving early.

With everything loaded again the boat is tied in very firmly this time and once again I am ready to go. I back further down the flat part of the road and take a good run at it. This time I make it much to my relief.

It makes me sweaty again, just thinking about this, time for a break to look at the Vedder, the Fraser and a coffee at “The Long Table.” Back with The Journal, later today.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:47:05 PM by chris gadsden »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Back At It, The First Journal For July
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:13 AM »

You almost lost the truck last week, now the boat this week... How did the boat manage to totem pole up? Is there a part 2, with chinook number three?
The Bigger The Better!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:27:41 AM »

What a comedy of errors, Chris!  Man, haven't we all had days like that before.  Can't wait for part 2!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »

You almost lost the truck last week, now the boat this week... How did the boat manage to totem pole up? Is there a part 2, with chinook number three?
Spent all day in town and will have to complete The Journal tomorrow before I head to the Vedder, I hear there is some now and I have some freshly cooked bugs to tempt them. Maybe I better walk and leave the Leaf Mobile and Leaf Craft at home.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:45:23 PM by chris gadsden »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »

If you decide to head out on foot just make sure you keep your eyes on the road ahead, with your luck lately you may trip and fall into a ditch while busy looking around for empty cans.   :D

Btw next time you are out on the Fraser maybe you should let me know. I would be glad to come help push you up the ramp if you get the truck stuck, and better yet make sure the truck don't roll into the drink  ;D

Looking forward to some more reports from your adventures.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »

After writing the first part of The Journal this morning I stopped at “The Long Table” where a lot of the regular meet for coffee each morning at 6 and discuss everything from soups to nuts. Barb less Dave was there as well and it was very nice to see old friend Ian there who I had not seen for a long time so we had a lot of catching up to do. You will never find a nicer person and I am pleased to call him a great friend. Ian has taken his share of steelhead on the Vedder over the years and is a great waterfowl hunter as well.

Well it is late Tuesday evening now and time to complete another chapter of The Journal. As I said in my first entry I was glad to escape from the jaws of Hell so to speak, not a very good start to the trip. The Leaf Mobile suffers her first injury in its battle with some small trees during the turn around. She has to learn this is the price we have to pay at times when out with Nature. Anyway I find Gary who is getting ready to start fishing when I finally reach the area we are going to fish. It’s close to noon so I have lost maybe 2 hours of fishing time.

I guess my misadventure should have signaled the day was going to be a bit of a bust fish wise but we were enjoying sitting in the shade watching our floats in endless drifts and the only time the Maple Leaf Drennan disappeared was with a Northern Pike Minnow taking a likening to a prawn, roe or ghost shrimp. They were not fussy like their distance relatives were being for us once again.

Gary finally gives up and heads for home while I stick it out until dark; it’s pleasant now as the sun sinks behind the Coast Range, the 30 Celsius temperature begins to give way to the coming darkness. A few fish do show themselves breaking the glass like water surface. Were they Stuart River sockeye, the first sockeye to head to their home of 4 years ago or a chinook? None where interested in pulling the Drennan down so I will never know.

I am very tired now from my experience of the day and sleep comes easily and quickly in the Leaf Mobile Hotel. My last thoughts were, things will get better tomorrow, I hope.

Chapter 3 starts in a few hours. Good night for now.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:10:38 AM »

The Leaf Mobile suffers her first injury in its battle with some small trees during the turn around. She has to learn this is the price we have to pay at times when out with Nature.

Guess the Leaf Mobile needs to be more truculent, and beligerent. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 07:28:43 AM »

The night passed quickly as I slept soundly with the only sound being the hiss and roar of the mighty Fraser, only meters from where I slept. Her turbid waters gathered from hundred’s of feeder streams and rivers hundreds of miles above me starting high in the Rocky Mountains beginning as a small trickle that has grown to a raging brown giant that is now racing to the Pacific Ocean.

Some unknown distinct chemical in the Fraser’s water is beckoning as it has for centuries, different species of salmon and races of, chinook, sockeye, coho, chum and pinks, millions of fish, now far out in the Pacific to enter her waters over the next several months to face the challenges she will offer the migrating fish to reach their natal streams, to perpetuate their kind. They face many obstacles not only from the river but by anglers like me, wanting to harvest them as has been done by First Nation people for many many thousands of years. Their flesh has been the life blood not only for humans but for all the other animals that depend on them for life, their lives.

Sometimes we forget that, as does some governments who are hell bent to disrupt this cycle. As I rub sleep from my eyes, day break is beginning, the light lost only a little over 6 hours is returning.

I am making my first cast in minutes as I am only feet from my hotel room. Life is returning as two beavers swim by, checking out this stranger who has intruded their domain. The slap their tails and dive every so often in an attempt to scare me away, they pass mere feet from me. I record some of this action on the new video camera I had just bought. (I forgot to mention I filmed the encounter on “The Hill” the previous day, which may garner a laugh or two, now). Beside a written journal I have a filmed one too as I record the happenings of the trip.

No fish are showing or are biting but observing over the next few hours the beavers, an osprey perched high in a yellow cedar looking for a fish like me to feed its young in some secluded nest. Pigeons are cooing softly their food source easy to find as wild cherries are bountiful. An Eagle chases a family of crows, their raspy voices echoing across the river.

No fish continue to show except some type of fish chases my lure as it gets near shore its ghostly outline is bares visible but as it turns from the lure it gives its outline away. I am trying a lure as it has produced fish for some, not me but in all fairness I seldom use it.

I am getting hungry so I break out the camp stove and make some pancakes. Its amazing how well they taste, prepared in the mountain air. A Saskatoon bush is near by, easy to pick and sprinkle a few berries on the golden brown flap jacks. Talk about a fruit stand near by. After breakfast I also pick some wild cherries, more Saskatoon’s and some trailing blackberries. If it is not in the cards to bring home salmon again at least the offering of some berries may make my wife let me go again. I also put some firer start bags together, a mixture of pitch from the base of a fir tree, some old fir cones, birch bark and some small fallen limbs. Work very well when starting a fire on a wet damp day while out bar fishing. They will be stored in the Leaf Craft for future use.

It is getting very hot again, it’s near noon so I visit a pool in a nearby stream and have a mountain bath but boy its cold as 30 Celsius of the air seems to drop to near friezing from the snow melted water of the creek but I feel refreshed.

I am now ready to get back to fishing. I settle into the lawn chair and flip out the gear and wait and wait some more for that take down. As I watch the float drift slowly I continue reading the book, Mighty River by Richard Brocking. You can see it is slow fishing when one can read a book at the same time.

I find one passage very interesting and I quote. In 1991-92 clear-cut logging was permitted on a block of land over-looking salmon spawning grounds in the delta (Robson Valley) causing an unstable clay bank below the cut to erode into the gravel spawning grounds. A muddy plume half a kilometer long washed downstream, blanketing the area where baby salmon normally grow during their first few months of life. Strange treatment for the birthplace of 5 to 10% of all Fraser Chinook salmon caught at sea-yet permits were issued that allowed more logging a few years later” No wonder many of us do not trust our governments to look after our fish. I put the book down to take some pictures with my new camera while watching at the same time the red topped drennan.

I look up from my filming, where is the float? I search frantically. Then all of a sudden line is peeling off the single action Avon. I drop the camera, on the lawn chair and grab the rod. Yes its one, feels big too as it takes line heading up and down stream. Finally another Chinook I think, I tremble with excitement. The battle goes on for maybe 10 minutes, I get a brief look, great it looks over 15 but wait don’t I see a ting of red. It disappears once again into the depths for a few more minutes but is tiring. The fish then surfaces within view. Now I see what the red ting was a red stripe along the side of a buck kelt steelhead, disappointment to say the least as it now surrenders to the shore and I quickly snap a photo and video as it lays in the water by my feet. It’s over 15 I estimate may 17. It is then granted its freedom to continue its journey back to the sea. I hope it avoids any nets be it First Nations or Commercial.

I fish until around 8 with only the odd pull down of some small chub or pikeminnows to give one a bit of a thrill for a second or two. I pack up and head back towards the hustle and bustle of the Valley leaving behind the solitude I have enjoyed for two days, except the first day when things went a little wrong but I can laugh at it now and will when I view the video.

With around 75 plus hours in angling time and only two Chinook to show for it, with one landed and one lost you make think I would be discouraged, but no, I can not wait to return to, The Mighty River.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:19:56 PM by chris gadsden »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

I guess I put the steelhead rod away to early. Chris Im kind of curious how you float fish the fraser while its flowing high with the freshet. Your dedication to fishing amazes me, only a matter of time when youll come across one for those great hook up days. good read.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:58:51 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »

I understand how you are float fishing the fraser but how are you reading a book while using a centerpin?  :o

... you may think I would be discouraged, but no, I can not wait to return to, The Mighty River.

Just like when they say, "the worst day fishing is better than the best day of work"  something always keeps us coming back  :)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »

Oh man,you had me sweating just reading about getting the Leaf Mobile in that predicament.
Have been there and done that and its funny how the adrenalyn takes over when you know you are doomed if you dont get unstuck.

Im sure you will laugh about it one day Chris.
I can visualize the boat sliding out as you take off for the climb. ;D

Hopoe your season turns around soon and hopefully the bar rods are usable soon. ;)

scuntor

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »

Chris Im kind of curious how you float fish the fraser while its flowing high with the freshet.

He has a secret spot and method. By chance I ran into him once and knew I was in the right place (I still caught nothing though)!