Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what is the enviromental impact of the new superlines?  (Read 3539 times)

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
what is the enviromental impact of the new superlines?
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »

Just something that's been bothering for a little while now.  I was always taught to roll up any birdnests or tangles and stuff them in my pocket to burn later.... that was always the easiest way to get rid of mono.

These new superlines have such tiny diameters, and can cut you like razor wire.. I wonder if they degrade like mono does when exposed to the elements? Or do they hang around forever?

Morty

Re: what is the enviromental impact of the new superlines?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »

I have used a few brands of braided line over the past 4 years and noticed that they do start to break down over the course of a season.  My guess is it's mostly from wear. but I do believe that UV light from the sun also takes it's toll.  The parts closest to the spool seem to stay like new.

I always carry out whatever I cut off, or retreive from the river and do my best to pick some up off the beach - especially the really long pieces and nests.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »

That monomaster is kinda neat. I like when it shows how to remove line, that it is easily cut and removed leaving one inch stips that wont tangle anything. Never seen anything like that before

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »

Spectra fibre lines aren't new anymore I've own some that's 17 years old now.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:35:49 PM »

The problem's not how long it takes to 'bio-degrade' or breakdown, it's how long will it take before a bird or animal gets trapped in it and dies.  I always take any discarded mono or line home with me, including a lot I find on the bank!

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »

Monomaster looks so cool.... 

Maybe we should collectively get all our used lines, and any that we find, and make the world's biggest ball of fishing line, just to publicize the importance of picking up fishing line..?

Would be great publicity..

I do worry the superlines will outlast twinkies..

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »

The problem's not how long it takes to 'bio-degrade' or breakdown, it's how long will it take before a bird or animal gets trapped in it and dies.  I always take any discarded mono or line home with me, including a lot I find on the bank!

That's another reason I fear the superlines, their smaller diameters cut like crazy.....  I made the mistake ONCE of wrapping it around my fingers and pulling... never again..

Min

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »

I use a MonoMaster.  Nice and simple.

MIn