Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to fillet fish  (Read 11670 times)

TheChumWhisperer

Re: How to fillet fish
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »

thanks that helps alot.  Yesterday I caught a beauty 5lb coho in the cap, took him home and decided to attempt to fillet him..  Worst idea ever.  I absolutely butchered him, and probably wasted half the fish in the process.  Hopefully the next one I fillet won't look like I put him in a blender.....

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »

Well,that's bad! It's better to take some lower quality fish like stocked rainbows or whatever to test your skills. It'll take a bit of practice but it's not that hard to learn. In case you catch such a nice fish again and you want it to be filleted just pop by and I'll help you...

drivel

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »

I noticed he removed the abdominal cavity bones while removing the filet (instead of slicing the filet off with the belly bones and then removing them in a second step - like I do).

What do you seasoned knife experts do? Should I be changing my technique?? It looks faster but I'm not sure if I will lose more meat that way.

RossP

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 09:42:41 PM »

Cool site. Thanks now all I have to do is go out and catch salmon so I can try and fillet them.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 11:55:41 PM »

"The carp" brought up that idea with the ham slicer here so take a look what these guys are using http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh_BCI1yrfs&feature=related (starts at 0.59 min). Think I have to get myself one too ;)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »

Dexter-Russel make a sweet fillet knife and it only costs about 30 bucks.  I have the 8" model. http://www.dexter-russell.com/Universal_Prod_Display_2.asp?Line=SS&Type=10