Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sedins And Sundin  (Read 15058 times)

Shooter

Re: Sedins And Sundin
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »

Best second line in the NHL? How do people come up with this crap. STOP READING THE CANUCKS.COM FORUMS!

hmmmmm.... Crosby, Ovechkin, Sedin.... no... ummmm...  Iginla, Lecavalier, sedin... nope... oh!  how about Zetterberg, Thornton, Sedin.......

SECOND LINE!!!!

p.s.  you watch hockey and you would take A sedin over heatley?!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »

So you list 6 superstar players and compare them to the Sedins. You do realize that there is a difference between a first line player and a superstar? They may not be elite players but they are still fully fledged first line players.

How many teams have two PPG forwards on their second line?

Better yet, how many teams had two PPG forwards on their team period. By my count there were Six. Vancouver, Washington, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Calgary and Philly.

I never said I would take a Sedin straight up over Heatley, but given our situation I think the Sedins give Vancouver a better chance at winning.

Quick question, which team is better.

Team A:

Top line of Sedin, Sedin, Scrub

Or

Team B:

Top line of Heatley, 4.7 million FA, scrub

Minus, Edleler, Kesler and a 1rst (Trade to get Heatley)
Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

P.S. this offseason 4.7 wouldn't even get you a Brian Gionta. Think more Martin Erat, Tim Conolly type players.

Shooter

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »

i still disagree...  a first line is supposed to be made up of a teams 'superstars'  otherwise you have a team built around second and third line players like the canucks!  why do you think the canucks can't do anything in the playoffs?  the swedish olympic team has them listed as the #4 and #5 forwards.... which means they would be on.... the second line!  Nobody buys canucks tickets solely to go and watch the sedins play but they did for Bure!  The West Coast Express was the last 'first line' that the canucks had and arguably the best shot at the cup the canucks have had since 94! 

Team B!!!

not sure where you come up with $4.7 million but none the less.... you dont have to look any further than your precious canucks to fill that void at almost half that price in Samuelsson $2.5 million!  how about Madden $2.75 or Cole for $2.9???  add in a Guerin or a Recchi and i would drfinitely take Team B over the Sedins!  BTW Gionta makes $5.0 million so no you couldn't get him at $4.7 but i'm sure Gillis could find an extra $300K if it was the difference between him coming or going!  or how about Havlat for $5.0??

i'm not arguing that the sedins can't put up points, a ppg is a good year for anyone!  what vancouver needs is a top line player(s) to take the opposing teams checking line away from the sedins!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:05:02 PM by Shooter »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »

PPG = Point Per Game.

Shooter

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »

ahh... now his point makes sense.... i'm an idiot!!!  thanks for clearing that one up for me!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:41:08 PM by Shooter »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »

i still disagree...  a first line is supposed to be made up of a teams 'superstars'  otherwise you have a team built around second and third line players like the canucks!  why do you think the canucks can't do anything in the playoffs?  the swedish olympic team has them listed as the #4 and #5 forwards.... which means they would be on.... the second line!  Nobody buys canucks tickets solely to go and watch the sedins play but they did for Bure!  The West Coast Express was the last 'first line' that the canucks had and arguably the best shot at the cup the canucks have had since 94! 

Team B!!!

not sure where you come up with $4.7 million but none the less.... you dont have to look any further than your precious canucks to fill that void at almost half that price in Samuelsson $2.5 million!  how about Madden $2.75 or Cole for $2.9???  add in a Guerin or a Recchi and i would drfinitely take Team B over the Sedins!  BTW Gionta makes $5.0 million so no you couldn't get him at $4.7 but i'm sure Gillis could find an extra $300K if it was the difference between him coming or going!  or how about Havlat for $5.0??

What does being on the second line on the Swedish Olympic team have to do with this. You do realize that there are only 7 nations with legitimate teams. There are 30 in the NHL, where the talent level is much more distributed.

To give you perspective on how stupid your stupid arguement is consider that Canada's 'second line' in the Olympics this year is going to consist of players like Iginla, Nash, Thornton etc.

As for the 4.7 mil its pretty easy. The Sedins combined make 12.2 mil. Heatley makes 7.5. Subtract Heatley's cap from the Sedins and it give you 4.7 mil.

You would actually rather have one of Samuelson, Madden or Cole plus Heatley over the Sedins....WOW!

That would be one of the worst first lines in the league. Again Heatley is useless unless he has someone to feed him pucks. Instead of ranting about how Heatley would such a good fit go and watch a few Ottawa games first. You won't even notice Heatley for periods at a time until he roofs a onetimer from the hash marks. Then he'll be invisible for the rest of the game.

I specifically didn't mention Havlat or his 5 mil salary because of his injury problems. Your not going to help your team win games if you can't play. What good is a guy that before last season played 35, 56 and 18 games.

Again, you are also ignoring the assets we would have to give up in order to acquire Heatley. We're not going to be able to trade Demitra and a bag of pucks in order to get him.

Shooter

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »

That would be one of the worst first lines in the league. Again Heatley is useless unless he has someone to feed him pucks. Instead of ranting about how Heatley would such a good fit go and watch a few Ottawa games first. You won't even notice Heatley for periods at a time until he roofs a onetimer from the hash marks. Then he'll be invisible for the rest of the game.

your right, how silly of me.... anyone that scores 40 or 50 goals is just terrible.  And i couldn't agree more, Madden and Cole don't know how to pass a puck i guess that is why they play in the NHL... you must think that Brett Hull was a terrible player too because all he did was shoot one timers from the slot.  You made your point, the sedins are a top line.  the canucks are better off with them on the team as their go to guys... score a point per game, finish 4th or 5th in the conference and go on to lose in the first or maybe they get lucky and lose in the second round of the playoffs again.  tell me, what happens when luongo refuses to sign with the canucks becuase he want's to play with a contender and not with a team that sticks with the same losers year after year?   i'll start cheering for the Canucks when they make an attempt to put a contender on the ice instead of resigning the same players that couldn't do it the year before.  until then i'll watch the pens go back to back!!!  perhaps i will try and get this thread back on topic a little bit...
Hey chris, how about this.... Luongo sings with TO next season to give Burke something to build a team around and Toronto wins the Stanley cup within five years!  Meanwhile, the sedins stay in Vancouver and fail to make the playoffs three out of the five years!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »

Bandwagoners not welcome!

Signing established goalscorers is not how to build a contending team. They are expensive and can only do so much. You must build from the draft. To help mentor these young players you should have veterans that have played on the team for years and know the system. That's the only reason I was sad to see Ohlund leave. What would Heatley do for players like Hodgson and Raymond? Make them into whiney headcases?

Shooter

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »

Bandwagoners not welcome!

Signing established goalscorers is not how to build a contending team. They are expensive and can only do so much. You must build from the draft. To help mentor these young players you should have veterans that have played on the team for years and know the system. That's the only reason I was sad to see Ohlund leave. What would Heatley do for players like Hodgson and Raymond? Make them into whiney headcases?

i totally agree that teams are built from the draft and that signing goalscorers is not how to build a contender; you need a healthy mix of players.  i would never try and argue that Heatley is a guy you want to mould a team around but at the same time i would be willing to put up with him if he puts 40 goals in the net.  i dont think there is a canucks fan out there that follows hockey that truly believes that the canucks are cup contenders with the team they have right now?!  They got lucky last year, they can't rely on guys like Kesler and Burrows to have career years again.  As canucks fans what would you want the team to do to turn them into a cup contender?? 

BTW... i have never claimed to be a canucks fan so there is no wagon jumping going on here! 

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 10:53:49 AM »

All a team needs to do is make the playoffs. From there anything can happen especially if you're goalie gets hot. I think the 'nucks have a team that could make the playoffs this season.

Jaws

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

I think the Sedin's play great during the regular season, yet when it comes to the playoffs the always seem to disappoint.