Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stolen property ,what would you do.  (Read 8253 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: stolen property ,what would you do.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »

Charles Darwin said "The tree of life is self pruning"- and that's true as far as it goes, however giving it a bit of a shake once in a while can be a help all around.

Bhinky

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »

Charles Darwin said "The tree of life is self pruning"- and that's true as far as it goes, however giving it a bit of a shake once in a while can be a help all around.

Until a piece of fruit with a machette finds out who you are and prunes you.

Jazza

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »

Sam Salmon,that is a very poor response.There is no proof that the punk stole the bike in the first place,now you wan't to harrass them into what...confessing?

Then I'd setup a Facebook page in the kid's name and load it with all sorts of incriminating info-doesn't have to be true but isn't against the law.

If what you say on Facebook isn't true, it is defamation.  Look it up.

captainzippy

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »

Searun,
I once got back a bunch of tools that were stolen from me by visiting the pawn shops downtown - I proved that they were mine and the owner didn't blink an eye and just returned everything that was mine

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »

Until a piece of fruit with a machette finds out who you are and prunes you.
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.-Emiliano Zapata

If what you say on Facebook isn't true, it is defamation.  Look it up.
As if some 16 year old thief has the resources to launch a lawsuit to prove he isn't a thief! ::) ;D

Can the thief go to the police and ask them to investigate? ;D

Fighting back is the best way to deal with those who would victimise us.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »

As if some 16 year old thief has the resources to launch a lawsuit to prove he isn't a thief! ::) ;D

They have their daddy and mommy to finance their defence. After all, little Johnny won't heard a fly. :D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »

They have their daddy and mommy to finance their defence. After all, little Johnny won't heard (sic) a fly.
If you've followed the thread you'd know that the thief's Mother is single and most likely doesn't have a dime to her name-single Mothers financing defamation lawsuits is outside the realm of possibility.

salmon river

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »

Don't laugh and I am serious  if you have a fenced in area get a couple geese. I had a couple when I was living in Fort St. John in the 90's and those things are better than a guard dog and if you are a stranger they will 'bite' 'nip' go at you and make loud noise and can be very mean. Even my lab and two cats were scared of them.

I was going to eat them originally then I tried one from my buddy where I got them from and I discovered I really dislike goose. So they became pets. But until they knew 'you' they were not very nice...

But if you have kids or grandkids come to visit, you may want to think twice, unless you can keep the kids away from them.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:12:26 PM by salmon river »

Oliver

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »

I’ll have to finally bite on this one.

So, lets see if I have this right...if one suspects that a kid may have committed a criminal act and stolen your bike, then one should:

setup a Facebook page in the kid's name and load it with all sorts of incriminating info-doesn't have to be true

Basically defame him.  An eye for an eye.  He (maybe) broke the law, so you should (definitely) break the law in response.  This is okay, because:

single mothers financing defamation lawsuits is outside the realm of possibility.

Anotherwords, they don’t have the money to fight back.    The buggers.  I hate poor people too.

In addition:

go and beat on their front door then their back door, hassle, hassle/hassle/hassle the punk-tell his Mother you know what he's up to and call him every name in the book...If she's renting complain long and hard to their landlord and keep doing it.

Another words, try to get the single mother who:

“most likely doesn't have a dime to her name,”

...evicted.  Good riddance!

Afer all, one should:

Never give a known thief an even break-NEVER he's not treating the people he steals from fairly and deserves nothing but the worst sort of treatment.

Because if someone told you he stole something before, then it MUST have been him.  In addition, if he did something wrong once, then he is most certainly a criminal for life.

Perhaps it is just me, but this seems a little misguided. While I’m sure that you, like the Right Honourable Brian Mulroney, have “never knowingly done anything wrong in [your] entire life”, I might suggest that acting in such a manner towards someone that you merely suspect may have done something wrong—merely because, as you acknowledge, they do not have the resources to fight back-- is nothing more than misguided bullying which will cause more harm than good.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:41:15 PM by Oliver »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 10:51:07 PM »

An otherwords, they don’t have the money to fight back.    The buggers.  I hate poor people too.
Glad to hear it-me too especially when they steal.

Another words, try to get the single mother who “most likely doesn't have a dime to her name,”..evicted.  Good riddance!
You learn quick!!

Note that OP was warned by people in the community that the juvenile in question is widely known as a thief he deserves nothing but scorn/hassle and worse.

BTW-It's 100% true about the Geese-they are mean animals not to be trifled with!

Oliver

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »

An otherwords, they don’t have the money to fight back.    The buggers.  I hate poor people too.
Glad to hear it-me too especially when they steal.

Another words, try to get the single mother who “most likely doesn't have a dime to her name,”..evicted.  Good riddance!
You learn quick!!

Note that OP was warned by people in the community that the juvenile in question is widely known as a thief he deserves nothing but scorn/hassle and worse.

BTW-It's 100% true about the Geese-they are mean animals not to be trifled with!

Well, I'm glad that's cleared up, then!  I do appreciate the honesty by which you stick with such ludicrous statements, rather deadpan.  Obviously, I slightly disagree.  Good fun, all in all!!  We'd likely have a fun day out fishing together.  At least we could have a good friendly argument, whilst waiting for the bite....and that's half of fishing sometimes...

BTW: I agree about the geese as well, having grown up with a herd around on our farm.  They are nasty buggers--but be warned--they do leave more than their fair share of skat around, in return.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:00:20 AM by Oliver »

PaulE

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »

I don't think i saw anyone say this...
But what about talking to the mother? Explain the situation and what you have heard about the boy. Maybe she knows about the boy's habits and is working on some solution. Besides, being friends with the neighbours can be a real benefit.

pe

Oliver

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »

I don't think i saw anyone say this...
But what about talking to the mother? Explain the situation and what you have heard about the boy. Maybe she knows about the boy's habits and is working on some solution. Besides, being friends with the neighbours can be a real benefit.

This is what I was going to advocate, before I got carried away on a bit of a rant.  It seems the reasonable thing to do.  One can always escalate a situation--but its a lot harder to par it back down after acting like a ****. 

Morty

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »

next door to us lives a single mom and her sixteen year old son.

Best guess is that he doesn't have a positive male role model in his life and is trying the best he can on his own to exercise the protector/provider nature that is built into the male DNA.

I suggest attempting to befriend him - take him fishing - through example demonstrate the ethics you believe in.  Once there's a bit of trust he will listen to you, then tell him about your bike being stolen and how that angered/disappointed you that someone in our society would do that.  Just leave it hanging there.

As Coho Cody says "Kids who Hunt, Trap, and Fish don't mug little old ladies"
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »

I would go and beat on their front door then their back door, hassle, hassle/hassle/hassle the punk-tell his Mother you know what he's up to and call him every name in the book.

Every time he's in the yard, every time he leaves the house, every time he comes home-hassle/hassle/hassle.

The Police won't do anything and people here suggest you do nothing-are we to be victims of every punk who wants to rip us off?

The camera is a good idea but will the Police even bother to look @ video evidence-will the prosecutor bother with charges even if you catch him?

Does his Mother own or is she a renter?

If she's renting complain long and hard to their landlord and keep doing it.

I can think of an even dirtier way to get even-email me for details-nothing against the law but low down and bound to hit the punk where he lives.

I like that idea. One of the many reasons our society harbors so much useless vermin is because to many, including police and courts, just "let it go". My goodness, in my generation if you just took a cookie from the counter without asking it had consequences you wouldn't forget in a hurry. That might very well have been the reason why the older generation stays on the straight and narrow. Undesirable behavior had painful consequences, worked very well then and surly would work today.   
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/