Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trolling techniques  (Read 6934 times)

The Fish Hunter

trolling techniques
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »

Ok so I have been skunked 6 time so far this year on alouette and chilliwack lake... I can't catch nothing... And trolling tips from anyone?

SmokeyRiver

Re: trolling techniques
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »

Try using speed rated lures and troll the speed suggested on the package. It all depends on what your fishing for but speed is probably where you are going wrong.

Davis

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »

Chilliwack lake is a tough nut to crack,but it can be rewarding,like anything when you put the time and effort in.First of all you need to troll in the productive spots and not aimlessly all over the lake.As mentioned speed of the troll is important and depends on direction,current flow,wind conditions.You need to be at the right depths and use the right lures.Large Dolly Varden Char is the star of the show on Chilliwack Lake,and can be caught constistantly when you are dialed in,in the zone so to speak.I mark fish on my sounder in the productive spots as to what depths i need to fish,and use lake down riggers to get my plugs down to them.The fishing can be good on occasion,the scenery spectacular,lastly the mornings have always been the best times for myself as the lake tends to blow up in the afternoons.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »

Are you after kokanee on Alouette? if so try to find the fish. If the lake is flat you can often see em rising or maybe a Osprey diving for dinner.We slow troll flies on a sink line but others use willow flashers of all sizes with a worm tip or a wedding band and worm. And they can be anywhere, not always where the majority of fishin boats are grouped.
With the riggers I like to change up a fair bit, depth, speed, scent, lure, thin bladed trolling spoons are my fave (chrome/green) though I did get some action on an old found Williams Wobbler in gold last trip, though the cutty was so ugly i put it back lol. many other kinds of lures have worked for us too.
Maybe tell us what you are doing exactly?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »

Chillwack L was a spot we used a Ford Fender & plug .............. troll deep 2/3 down the lake.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »

try slowing down and trolling in an "S" shape that way your lure speed is increased and decreased in between turns depending on which side of the boat it's on that way your lure will look more real to the fish. The thing fish eat aren't moving at a constant speed, at a constant depth. You have to get them interested in what you have; trolling really slowly in an S shape will also raise your lure or bait on the turns when it speeds up that way your covering multiple depths of water and you have a chance of getting more fish interested. It's still fairly cold out so you don't need your lure right on the bottom the fish should be cruising and eating withing 15 feet down

rickieellison699

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:58:21 AM »

interesting stuff

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »

Hi there,

I mainly troll even though I only fish with flies and I rarely ever get skunked. One mistake I see trollers do all the time is to troll with a motor. This imparts a very unrealistic motion on your offering. Rowing on the other hand imparts a very authentic motion on same. I am not against motors for certain uses as in windy conditions or for going long distances on the water,but when you get to where you want to go, "row".
Also, read the water and try different depths. I always have four different types of line in my dingy or tube. I have a big heavy sink line a sinking tip line a
floating line and an intermediate sinking line,and I'll switch back and forth as conditions dictate.
If you are trolling along not getting hits, change your offering be it lures ,flies ,bait,if and when you have selected propely ,you will know about it real soon! Hope this helps

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »

You don't need to row to impart action.
I used to only row, but found that I was missing too many hits.
Now I use a Minn Kota Endura motor and switch between off and 1 or off and 2 depending on wind conditions.
I'm generally fishing 16-24 feet down with a Type 3 sinking line.

jimmywits

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 10:32:32 AM »

You don't need to row to impart action.
I used to only row, but found that I was missing too many hits.
Now I use a Minn Kota Endura motor and switch between off and 1 or off and 2 depending on wind conditions.
I'm generally fishing 16-24 feet down with a Type 3 sinking line.

That would work,although the people I'm talking about don't do that which is why I brought it up in the first place.
I don't miss any hits rowing as I simply give a couple of really hard pulls when I see the strike,and get good exercise doing it.
Also, I am not usually using any one line, I have four lines at the ready at all times. I will fish two at a time and if I see a condition change or if I am not getting action I can switch back and fourth immediatly,between my heavy type 3 sink,my intermediate sink,my sinking tip and my dry line.    thanks for the reply  tight lines
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:40:00 AM by jimmywits »