Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uculet or Quadra???  (Read 2439 times)

scuntor

Uculet or Quadra???
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Planning a guided trip through Oak Bay Marine group and debating April point on Quadra or Canadian Princess in Uculet. Prices are almost the same but April Point seems like a nicer lodge (wife...) and Canadian Princess has longer days fishing (4 hrs. vs 7).
From experience or opinion, which area has the better fishing?

Britguy

• Old Timer
Re: Uculet or Quadra???
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »

I have only fished from April Point
but it was a great experience and a nice resort with lots to do for the fisher and no fisher (good place to take the wife) ;)

spey

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »

the fishing is 10x better in Uculet

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »

If you do go to Ukee be sure to book a shore side condo not on board ship accommodations.

Just Don't OK?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »

If you do go to Ukee be sure to book a shore side condo not on board ship accommodations.

Just Don't OK?

I'll second that. Too cramp and noisy

deepcovehooker

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »

April point is the best.  I have been fishing for 40 years and the only time I got sea sick was on the Canadian Princesses boats in Uculet.  They are also to many fishermen aboard those big boats.  At April point its a smaller boat with only two guys and the guide.  It a much better operation.

scuntor

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »

Sounds like April point is the place to go with the wife. Thanks guys.

Oliver

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »

Though I have never been to the specific resort in Uculet that you mention, I would advise the general area--much better fishing.

The Campbell River/ Quadra Island area has had its day (I grew up there and spend most summers there).  Sadly though, the fishing just gets worse every year.  However, if you're really into the idea of Quadra, you should take a quick look at other resorts on the island.  Gowland Harbor resort is smaller and more scenic, and TsaKwaLuten is still around too, I think.  April point is nice as well, but you'll be paying for it.  It does have a few options of things to do, as well as a free water taxi across the water to its sister resort--so you're activities can expand a bit.

Overall though, I still say if its fish you're after, go to Uki,

Verdi

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »

Uculet

puke boat with the wife in uculet, rough..
All you do is jig from a 100 ft -200ft back to the boat and vice versa all day, It is really hard on the arm, and i fish alot.
If the weather is bad the swells are huge, and even i start to get sea sick.

April point i have never been to the lodge but the boats are guided, and you troll, much more relaxing,depend when you are going they have great pink runs and soxs, in august.

April point is was nicer, and the only reason april point is priced the same is that no air fare to april point, drive in.

Uculet the airfare from vancouver is included.  you can get halibut in Uculet, and big columbia river springs.