Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam bylaw for electric motors?  (Read 8353 times)

gheart008

Coquitlam bylaw for electric motors?
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »

Does anyone know of any bylaw in Coquitlam regarding not being allowed to use electric motors on lakes from May to September? 

ion

Re: Coquitlam bylaw for electric motors?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:34:54 PM »

as i know there are power(including electrical) restrictions on some lakes, mentioned for each water in dfo regulations. i don't understand some restrictions while an electric motor is quieter than paddles, at least from the fish point of view. Ex deer lake in burnaby where electrical motors are not permitted but go and see what the folks renting the boats (with paddles) are doing on the lake; it's like a playground, no way the tranquility in which a fisherman actually has all the interest. jets and powerful gas engines, yes they can be a menace, but electrical trolling motors, no way.
if there are some special restrictions they should be well advertised arround the lake;

gheart008

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »

Ya, the reason why I was asking is because on Saturday, there were 4 boats out on Lafarge with electric motors, and there was this one guy on his tube complaining to them that there was a Coquitlam bylaw stating that they weren't allowed the motors from May to Sept.

This regulation is not in the fishing regulations for region 2, but the guy said it was a Coquitlum specific bylaw.

I couldn't find this bylaw anywhere, so was wondering if this guy was just full of it or not?

The only thing I could find was that Sasamat has this restriction, but no mention of restrictions on Lafarge, or Coquitlam as a whole for that matter:

http://www.gofishbc.com/fishinginthecity/default.htm
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:49:23 PM by gheart008 »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »

hmmmm................electric motor on lafarge, Is stupid plain and simple. You can paddle around the whole lake in 10 minutes.

gheart008

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »

hmmmm................electric motor on lafarge, Is stupid plain and simple. You can paddle around the whole lake in 10 minutes.

I agree with you.  The question really isn't what should or shouldn't be done.  It's more what CAN or CANNOT be done.  I'm more interested in finding out if there actually is such a bylaw for my own curiosity since the guy on the lake was making quite a stink about it when there were 4 boats on the lake with motors.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »

Nothing in the regs about it. Guess they can unless otherwise specified. If they didnt want electrics on the lake it would probably be published in the regs. I dont know why Lafarge is not mentioned in the Family Fishing Waters section.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »

In the bylaws/regulations charter for the use of Parks and Community facilities use by the City of Coquitlam states "No person shall operate an internal combustion engine on Como Lake, Mundy Lake, Lost Lake or Lafarge Lake." The definition of internal combustion engine is a machine in which energy created by the process of burning a fuel is turned in to mechanical motion. Therefore, electric motors are allowed to be used on Lafarge lake  ;D

gheart008

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »

In the bylaws/regulations charter for the use of Parks and Community facilities use by the City of Coquitlam states "No person shall operate an internal combustion engine on Como Lake, Mundy Lake, Lost Lake or Lafarge Lake." The definition of internal combustion engine is a machine in which energy created by the process of burning a fuel is turned in to mechanical motion. Therefore, electric motors are allowed to be used on Lafarge lake  ;D

Good stuff.  I'm going to assume this means electric motors are fine for Como as well.

as i know there are power(including electrical) restrictions on some lakes, mentioned for each water in dfo regulations. i don't understand some restrictions while an electric motor is quieter than paddles, at least from the fish point of view. Ex deer lake in burnaby where electrical motors are not permitted but go and see what the folks renting the boats (with paddles) are doing on the lake; it's like a playground, no way the tranquility in which a fisherman actually has all the interest. jets and powerful gas engines, yes they can be a menace, but electrical trolling motors, no way.
if there are some special restrictions they should be well advertised arround the lake;

Where did you see that electric motors are not allowed on Deer Lake?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:29:42 PM by gheart008 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 07:57:31 AM »

Hmmm - strange thing about that link that Rodney added when I try to view it...

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /fw/fish/regulations/docs/0911/fish-synopsis_2009-11_region2.pdf on this server.

Think the Government is on to us??? ;)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!