Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Illegally fishing with two rods from shore  (Read 30891 times)

Robert_G

Re: Illegally fishing with two rods from shore
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »

The day I can't troll 2 flyrods behind my float tube is....... >:(
The allowance of 2 rods from a boat has always sat well with me. Sometimes it can be hard to match the hatch in certain lakes. I enjoy the privilage of being able to troll a sinking line while casting my floating line. A rule that does NOT need changing.

speycaster

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »

When ice fishing i cut a hole 3 feet wide and two hundred feet long then i can troll. Takes a while to cut the hole but the rewards are worth it. ;D ;D ;D

ion

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »

The most of the guys fishing two rods from shore, are on the heavy stocked lakes, in the vicinity of the city: LaFarge, Como, Sasamat, Buntzen, Deer-Burnaby etc. Unfortunately the DFO guys think about the stocked trout in terms like "two dollars a piece" (the cite is from a ranger), and personally I have never seen anybody checking the regulations; probably lets say, 30 pieces trout caught illegally in a day means 60 bucks, far lees than their salary for the day. The problem is that there are caught illegally 30 trouts EVERY DAY, until there is no more stocked fish. Would be nice and very usefull to hear about a symbolical check, at least once in a year, just after they stocked a lake.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »

I was told by a fisheries officer that two rods from shore is illegal because if you had two rods and two people only one person would need a license,  the second person could be fishing without a license.  If checked, the person without a license could say both rods belong to the person with the license ! That's why the regs say only when in a boat by yourself, if your alone in a boat there's no doubt the second rod is yours and is not being fished by someone who doesn't have a license.  Makes sense to me.
  But the regs don't seem to work in that regard. I work on the Fraser River and I see LOTS and LOTS of asian men fishing two rods from shore. When you try to inform them about the rules they smile and pretend to not understand. Maybe some don't understand, but certainly not all of them. Thats not meant to sound like I am stereotyping, it's just what I see all the time while working.

scotkemp

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:23 PM »

i think you should be able to bar fish one rod and cast one rod maybe the dfo can sell a second rod stamp along with the salmon stamp

speycaster

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2009, 07:28:19 AM »

Maybe you guys should learn to catch fish with one rod before you worry about two. ;D

ion

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »

The guys fishing 2 rods are generally called "the bucket brigade" because they use to carry a bucket which they use it like a bag for everything. They also don't respect the daily quota rule. When fishing two rods they are so carefull to have them both under their eyes. At least, because without this rule they would set the rods 6 feet apart and sportily sit on a chair in between (fewer fishermans on a spot = greater success for them). Many of then try to profit from  the investment in fishing equipment to save face in front of their wives, but they are not all poor.
I think their problem is the poor education from their native country, and here DFO would score much more than the 60 bucks, enforcing the rules on stocked lakes.

ion

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2009, 12:16:42 PM »

Is it legal to take pictures of these guys? Can we post them on the web site?

Kristopher

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 04:33:37 AM »

You should be allowed two lines ice fishing it's like being in a boat. As long as your within a certain distance from both lines.
If you can't catch a fish through the ice with one rod, you really have no business being out there. ;D

When fly fishing stillwaters from a boat by myself, I will rarely use two rods, but do like having the option.  I don't think shore anglers should be allowed to fish two rods though.  If they're going to change anything, I'd rather they changed it to one rod for everyone.

jimmywits

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »

If you can't catch a fish through the ice with one rod, you really have no business being out there. ;D

When fly fishing stillwaters from a boat by myself, I will rarely use two rods, but do like having the option.  I don't think shore anglers should be allowed to fish two rods though.  If they're going to change anything, I'd rather they changed it to one rod for everyone.
I agree

Stu

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 02:59:34 PM »

It is interesting how this thread turned into a 2vs1 road discussion.
As I can recall the original poster was asking for the reason shore anglers can't fish with 2 rods.
Nobody really give any god explanation for that.
Iblly made an iteresting suggestion about two persons and one license:

I was told by a fisheries officer that two rods from shore is illegal because if you had two rods and two people only one person would need a license,  the second person could be fishing without a license.  If checked, the person without a license could say both rods belong to the person with the license ! That's why the regs say only when in a boat by yourself, if your alone in a boat there's no doubt the second rod is yours and is not being fished by someone who doesn't have a license.  Makes sense to me.

However this technique could be used in a boat too.

I was wondering about this regulation too, and in my opinion the cause of one line rule is simply because of the limited shore access to our lakes.
I don't even want to imagine the nightmare dad going shore fishing with 2 kids to Buntzen lake, 6 lines.  :o

Happy Hollydays.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

jimmywits

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »

This explanation makes the most sense to me also. Thanks for that iblly

Kristopher

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »

Makes sense to me..

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »

i still say it should be one rod for everyone 8) more fair that way  ;)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 03:25:10 PM »

--I often fish alone in a boat and use two rods. In larger lakes target species kokanee and trout often at different depths.
--In winter often 10 hrs or more of troll to hook up with larger rainbow.

--kokanee school and often fussy about colour and lure type use two rods as search pattern to dial in . When get into school usually switch to hot rod.

--Modern electronics have made it much easier to target fish with temp gages and fish finders so if you have this gear less need for the two rods except to dial in colour and lure type.
--Many jurisdictions allow multiple rods. Recently these rule changes in western states for lakes only, some have introduced a second tag license.
--If two people in a boat and only one with a license then only one rod can be used.
--I don't see the crying argument of fairness. Some areas can use bait others no bait, are we going to have only one method of fishing province wide. Maybe only allow use of one lure.
--I can see two rods being abused on a river to "hold water" excluding other anglers.
--I don't get the idea of selling a fishing license then adding as many rules as possible to reduce the chance of catching. I agree with special regs when required to protect sensitive fisheries.