Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: leader and tipped  (Read 2114 times)

Piranha

leader and tipped
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:54:40 AM »

Up until now I never really cared much about using different leaders and tipped for different conditions. I always used the same 4X leader with a 3X or5X tipped. I've read on the net that you want to use different leaders and tipped for different conditions. Not sure I understand this.
I have #5 fly line, so  can I use any size leader? 4X is for 12, 14, 16 fly sizes. If I want to cast heavier flies i only need to change the leader to  2X if i'm using 6, 8, 10 fly sizes? does the Tipped need to match the diameter of the leader? with  4X leader would I use lighter tipped or heavier tipped? or do I need to keep the same diameter of the tipped same as the 4X leader to be able to cast 12, 14, 16 fly sizes?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: leader and tipped
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »

i make my own tapered leaders and NEVER change to heavier tippet for bigger flies. but my tippet is always the lightest poundage of the entire leader or you risk it snapping off higher up.

depending on the length of leader im tying i tie them like this: long leader - 15lb(2'), 12lb(3-4'), 10lb(4-5'), 8lb(6-8"), 6lb(8-12'), and if im chironie fishing i stick on a 2 foot section of 3lb after a very small swivel at the end of the 6lb. If im tying shorter leader i notmally start with the 10lb and just use shorter sections, blood knot or albright knot the sections together and your ready to go.

I use lb's because i can never remember the X sizes for the lb ratings LOL i like to keep things simple  ;) if im fishing damsels or dragons i will never put on the 3lb also because the takes are so hard they snap off instantly  :(

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/