Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Learn more about Tidal Fraser fishing at Fish for the Future on July 11th, 2009!  (Read 12458 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

For a long time now I have been writing about different, unexplored fishing opportunities in the Tidal Fraser River. I get many questions in emails about them. Here is a great opportunity for those who are interested to find out more, by coming to this year's Fish for the Future on Saturday July 11th!

Fish for the Future is an annual fishing festival in Steveston that we have started on the website since 2003. The purpose of the event is to promote sportfishing, biodiversity of the Fraser River ecosystem and conservation. The event is supported by both the BC Family Fishing Weekend and the National Fishing Week. At this event, kids have the opportunity to try out fishing with all the free fishing gear provided. When fish are caught, they are placed in an aquarium for the kids to observe and learn before they are released back into the water. Flycasting and flytying workshops are available for anyone who wishes to learn. Various stewardship groups will be onsite to let the public know what projects are currently happening to enhance urban streams and re-establish their inhabitants. DFO is also present at the event to answer questions that you may have.

Please visit the event website for more information: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fftf

You can be both a participant and a volunteer. The event is only possible with dedicated individuals who help out on the day. We need people to...

• help kids with fishing on the floating dock.,
  • set up tents, signs, tables and chairs before the event,
  • take down after the event,
  • teach people how to tie flies,
  • organize the fishing gear for loaning,

To make things a bit more interesting, I've decided to be out of town until July 8th. This means I need someone to put up posters at the rec centres, Save on Foods, Safeway and other public places two weeks prior to the event.

If you are interested in voluteering, please send me an email at info@fishingwithrod.com.

Volunteer list (updated on April 20th)

Rodney
Lucky + Mary
Dragonspeed
Fishersak
Newsman
Murf + Taffydoll
Rantalot
Buckeye + Buckwife
Floon + Deb
Chrome Mykiss
Skunkaroo
Chris
RP3 Flyfisher

Buck_wife

I think I see some familiar faces.... :D
At this point in time, the plan is to head out your way for the event again. I imagine you'll come up with something for us to do..... ;)
Seems we always get put to work wherever we show up.... :P

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Great! So we can expect good sandwiches again right? ;)

Anyone else? I am not looking for 100% commitment right now, but rather a rough idea on how much help I would get so I can decide whether this year's event is actually doable in the next couple of weeks.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come

Im in again always glad to help ;D

Britguy

• Old Timer

Hi Rod
I will book the day off
love helping the kids to fish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Thanks for the support, looking forward to see you two again. I'd like to think that all volunteers, participants can mutually benefit from each other at this event instead of just for the kids. Perhaps this year the flycasting section can be more advanced. Any other ideas?

I'd like to see increase of educated angling participation in this area, the event is one way to accomplish that. Making sure people don't toss sculpins on dry land to die, which is a pretty common abuse in the summer, is important since bull trout and cutthroat trout feed on them. This event is also a channel for DFO to get more interactive with the public, so people would be motivated to work with them to combat violations.

Maybe this year we'll finally do the post-event group eat-out at Sockeye City. I'd suggest sushi, but Chris... :-\ ;)

Anyone else? The event is slowly coming together.

Buck_wife

I think you mean to say that you will finally JOIN us for dinner after the event..... :P ;D

I can make sandwiches again if you like, it's not a lot of work really. It's just like I have a few more kids over for lunch.... :D
Maybe let the volunteers know this time though.... ;)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come

No Sushi :o

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?

Put me down for the fly casting again Rod. You say you would like to see advanced; Okay. More detailes please.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I think you mean to say that you will finally JOIN us for dinner after the event..... :P ;D

Yeah. :-[

I can make sandwiches again if you like, it's not a lot of work really. It's just like I have a few more kids over for lunch.... :D
Maybe let the volunteers know this time though.... ;)

Yes please. :) Let the volunteers know? I need my food ration for the rest of July. :-\

No Sushi :o

You're missing out, R. ;)

Put me down for the fly casting again Rod. You say you would like to see advanced; Okay. More detailes please.

Not really sure. I think Rick will probably be coming out this year too. I'll let you guys explore for new creative ideas as it is your specialty. Maybe a casting comp of some sort. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Please vote in the poll even if you have replied. This way I'd have an idea on participation. I've started an updated list of volunteers in the first post.

Exhibitors are starting to confirm their attendance. Slowly coming together. :)

arimaBOATER

Fishing in the tidal Fraser can be a fun time..... once threw a bar rig by the No 2 Bridge (south side)... high tide... just for the heck of it... as a few yrs ago lived in an apt building close by.----(after 30 min) Seen my rod move a few times ... then something got hooked... It was big whatever it was as my rod was bent over. ----Never did get to see what it was as my line broke after a matter of secs... (10lb test) ------------- Got my heart beating----------- Rod your recent article on the "middle arm" is a good read....lots of info --------- Ironically the chap who is on that interesting tv show WINGS OVER CANADA also lived in that area ( I don't know about if he still does today) Think his name is John Lovelace ??? (at least that is what pops in my head)  He flys his float plane to various locations in Canada.... talks about the location ... history... most times he gets a fishing rod out... & he gets so excited when there's a...... "fish on"............  Definately lots of adventures to be had on the TIDAL FRASER !!! ----------  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

An event page on Facebook has been set up for this now. :)

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=101818878624&ref=mf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Please note that our seed funding from the Family Fishing Weekend Society, which comes from the Provincial Government, has been cut in half this year. Instead of getting $500 to run the event, we'll be gettin $250 instead. It should be ok as I will be putting a fair amount into this fund from the website subscriptions as promised. The money will go into paying for an ad in Richmond Review a few days before the event, plus various little items that we need during the event.

The event is also only possible with various individuals supplying their services for free. Bwi Bwi supplies all the printing of posters and flyers at his shop. Chrome Mykiss brings a couple of fish tanks since he has a gazillion at his place. Newsman sets up the entire flycasting section with tarp and everything. Pacific Stream Keepers supplies 10X10 tents for the event, which cuts down the cost tremendously. Redli supplies lots of fishing equipment. Tables and chairs are usually supplied by the Abbotsford Hatchery and Randog. etc etc... As you can see, the event is very grassroot, very community-based. If anyone else wishes to supply stuff (I'm not sure what's needed yet, but it'll become more apparent as we get closer to the event), please do let us know.

Britguy

• Old Timer

Rodney
do you need any drinks or snacks ???
I am sure i can get the company i work for to donate some goodies