Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clamming on the Sunshine Coast  (Read 7187 times)

Roots

Clamming on the Sunshine Coast
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »

I will be making my first trip to the Sunshine Coast in May and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on clam digging. I've always wanted to give it a try, but have no idea where to begin...

I will be camping around Sechelt, is it possible to do some clam digging /shore fishing near this area? Also, how do I find these suckers - what do I look for when the tide is out? How deep do I dig? Other than manila clams, can I expect to find razor clams as well? Do I need any special gear?

Thanks guys, I would appreciate any advice...

Jake

Bare

Re: Clamming on the Sunshine Coast
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »

I know it used to be okay to eat the clams there. Now a days I would be worried about red tide. You mite want to ask the local fishing stores or locals about it.

Spooner

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »

I believe they harvest commecially up that way aswell.
But always double check!!!!wouldn't want to get sick :-X :Pl

Whitedevil

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:40 PM »

Make sure to check with the tide chart and check out the lowest tide.   always 1.5 hrs arrive the desire location so you can have enough time to dig for the treasure...

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »

Some good advice given above but remember that Red Tide isn't from man-made industrial pollution-they are two different things.

You'll need to check for any Red Tide Advisory and be sure you aren't on anyone's lease-FOC should have all the info you need.

The only tackle store up there is the one that used to be in Squamish and the owner isn't in any way a truthful individual IME.

One thing about the Lower Sunshine Coast-most of it was fished out decades ago-you aren't going to visit virgin waters in any sense at all you'll see that once you're there most locals don't even bother to fish anymore.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:31:16 PM by Sam Salmon »

Bhinky

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »

Some good advice given above but remember that Red Tide isn't from man-made industrial pollution-they are two different things.

You'll need to check for any Red Tide Advisory and be sure you aren't on anyone's lease-FOC should have all the info you need.

The only tackle store up there is the one that used to be in Squamish and the owner isn't in any way a truthful individual IME.

One thing about the Lower Sunshine Coast-most of it was fished out decades ago-you aren't going to visit virgin waters in any sense at all you'll see that once you're there most locals don't even bother to fish anymore.

I totally agree, the guy in that shop will tell you anything to get you to buy something right then. I've been given inaccurate information a few times which is frustrating when you are in an unfamiliar area and don't know where to start.