Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canadian WILD SALMON ALLIANCE Society: GAME ON!  (Read 22511 times)

Morty

Re: Canadian WILD SALMON ALLIANCE Society: GAME ON!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »

Our concern is that there's not 100, or 60, or 20 million sockeye, nor millions of each of Chinook, Coho, and Steelhead returning to the Fraser and other BC rivers.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:27 PM »

I am proud of what I and others do. I will answer any of your concerns.
     Cheers Folkboat.

Can you tell us we are wrong in saying their has been problems with fish farms in many countries that had them before they came to British Columbia. If so can you give us the evidence please?

Folkboat

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »

That is my concern also. Since there are no fish farms close to the Fraser I think we may want to look at what is happening up stream of the fraser. Perhaps we should look at what we fertilize our lawns, and gardens with for starts. NGO's looking for donations in Ireland blamed salmon farming for a decline in fish stocks. Truth was, and I am not putting down farmers or ranchers or anyone that cuts their grass. I am also not trying to change the subject.
   http://www.wrfb.ie/news/newsitems/newsitems.php

"Farmers warned to be vigilant about water pollution    2005-06-29
The Western Regional Fisheries Board has asked all farmers to be extremely vigilant at this time of year when it comes to harvesting silage and spreading slurry. Silage operations are ongoing all summer, and silage effluent has the potential to cause devastating pollution in streams and rivers. Silage effluent is one of the most polluting substances to threaten the environment, and can cause massive fish kills if it enters a watercourse. Slurry is also spread on grassland over the summer months, and if allowed to enter a stream, can wipe out fish and invertebrate life. Streams and rivers are low in the summer months and have less dilution capacity, so are very vulnerable to pollution at this time. The fisheries board has appealed to farmers to be careful that no silage effluent is allowed to run off into drains or watercourses. Round bales are the most environmentally friendly way to store silage, however if a silage pit is used it must be properly lined to prevent leakage. Good farmyard management will help to prevent accidental runoff, and protect the local environment. Slurry spreading should be carried out in dry weather, and not when heavy rain is forecast. It should never be spread close to a watercourse, and tanks should never be cleaned beside a stream or river. The fisheries board thanks the farming community for their co-operation at this busy time of year, and for their assistance in maintaining a clean and healthy environment in our lakes and rivers. "

Folkboat

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »

"Can you tell us we are wrong in saying their has been problems with fish farms in many countries that had them before they came to British Columbia. If so can you give us the evidence please?"
 Yes Chris, there have been proplems with fish farms in other countries and in B.C. As in any industrie there will be problems. What evidence to what problem in what country would you like me to comment on?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »

For starters I have been told wild fish stocks have been severely compromised wherever fish farms have been located. Is that true?

I know fish farms are not the only cause of the decline in fish stocks but the problem is as I see it many level of government, Provincial and Federal have not all they should be doing to protecting all species of fish. They do not provide funding to do proper studies as they seem to put big business and the almighty dollar above protecting the fish and their habitat.

I donot have to list all these activities as they are all listed and commented on FWR and many other forums many times. Rodney has made it easier to find them now by putting fish -  related issues separately.

Thanks for your input, off to bed now and try to get some sleep as I continue to worry if we will have fish for the future, for all our grandchildren to enjoy. Not only to catch them but to observe their amazing life cycle each and every year. This continuing decline must not be allowed to happen.

I however do feel there is a glimmer of hope. Thanks to the power of the internet, people can communicate about their concerns far easier than ever before. As well there is a strong rising up of the public, on so many fronts on these issues that the government should not be able to be so secret on pushing through their hidden agenda as they have before and avoid us.

Folkboat

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »

Chris I understand people have concerns. However I can not reply on what you say your concerns are on just what you have been told.
    "For starters I have been told wild fish stocks have been severely compromised wherever fish farms have been located. Is that true?"
 For a start can you tell me what was told to you and the science behind those facts please.
   Cheers and have a good night. I am of for the night also... Folkboat.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 05:24:17 AM »

I can't buy anything you're selling folk boat.

A thousand words

http://www.livingoceans.org/files/PDF/fish_farms/Super_Unnatural.pdf
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:26:04 AM by Novabonker »
http://

Little Hawk

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 05:26:23 AM »

Gentlemen;

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my post; I haven't posted here for some time and I know I've ruffled a few feathers here in the past.
My days of duking-it-out on forums with the salmon-farmer apologists (like folkboat) have long since passed. People like him are becoming very nervous these days as the tide of both public and scientific opinion turns against this menace called the net-pen business.

In the nearly 10 years I have been reading and writing about this environmental-holocaust it never failed to amaze me how, at every turn in the road of the learning process, the same pointed question came up, 'What's in it for BC and all the wild critters that depend on Pacific Salmon?'
As the same answer invariably revealed itself - nothing! - it became clear to me early on that people (government) in high places had been bought by the industry. That really pisses me; the idea that the money/greed flowing - like effluent - from this industry has actually contributed to pushing Pacific Salmon precipitously close to extinction and my children and grandchildren may never experience the joy of catching a salmon because of it.

The WSA was born on a sport-fishing website (SFBC) and I am, first and foremost, a sport-fisherman. Four of the five Directors of the WSA are sport-fisherman and one is a commercial fisherman. I am actively seeking First Nations representation to sit with us as a Director. Our organization will be all-embracing of all peoples who have a vested interest in the welfare of Pacific Salmon. These principles are entrenched in our Constitution. I have little to no confidence in my governments capacity to ensure to long-term health and viability of Pacific Salmon populations; that is why I formed this organization and that is why we (the WSA) will not rest until the salmon-farmers are out of our waters.

All I can ask is that all of you try to see through what I call the - '3-D' tactics of industry advocates: Deflect/Deny/Destroy!

If any of you need any more information about the WSA, please don't hesitate to email your questions to me; our website is currently being revamped.

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

silversaw@telus.net

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 07:34:21 AM »

"I am proud of what I and others do. I will answer any of your concerns."
     Cheers Folkboat.

"Come on children it's time to drink the kool-aid"
     Jim Jones

Statements that require a second thought.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »

What is the WSA's views on Alaskan Salmon Ranching? 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »

I am just guessing here...but I bet they don't mind as just take a look at our own SEP program. A good deal of our urban streams would not survive without our own version of "sea-ranching" . Luckily it is not to the same scale as what goes on in Alaska.

The people who are busy arguing with you here, no matter if you have good science on your side, Alexandra Morton and her Merry Band of Environmental NIMBY types have already convinced the majority of them with pretty pictures and such. She is BC's answer to Briget Bardot!

Wild Fish Stocks (salmon) are declining all over the province. Even in areas where there are no Fish Farms.
So, just keep on blaming one industry, because it's convenient to do so.

If you do "win" and let's say the farms go away....and the stocks are still declining...who are you going to blame then?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 09:18:32 AM »

Hey at least we'll know we did what we could.  More than people defending salmon farms can say.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »

Wild Fish Stocks (salmon) are declining all over the province. Even in areas where there are no Fish Farms.
So, just keep on blaming one industry, because it's convenient to do so.

If you do "win" and let's say the farms go away....and the stocks are still declining...who are you going to blame then?

You may have missed this part of my post above. :-\

I know fish farms are not the only cause of the decline in fish stocks but the problem is as I see it many level of government, Provincial and Federal have not done all they should be doing to protecting all species of fish. They do not provide funding to do proper studies as they seem to put big business and the almighty dollar above protecting the fish and their habitat.

I donot have to list all these activities as they are all listed and commented on FWR and many other forums many times.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:58:08 PM by chris gadsden »

drh

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »

Normally I'd never get involved in a thread like this but the evidence has been on the evening news many times with photos like the one Novabonker has posted[good job by the way]and scientists showing the world the harmful effects of the pens in the straits.I tend to believe Chris,and others who are involved in so  many enviornmental issues like him,before I'd believe someone with an agenda

Folkboat

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »

Hey there Drh. Some Ngo's with their own agenda say they are not against salmon farming as long as it goes to closed containment. What is your view point on this subject?